Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA-15mm Ltd opened my eyes wide

I've had family visiting this week, so we made a trip to the Magic Kingdom. I wanted to take the DA-21 Ltd and DA*50-135 [David & Goliath per another member], but the notion of having the equivalent of an MX missile around my neck all day gave me pause. I ultimately opted for the 18-135 for its all-purpose range, relative portability, and above-kit quality. I also stuffed the DA-15 Ltd into a pocket, just in case. Just before entering the park, I put the 15mm on the K-3 and stuffed it into a cargo pocket. The 18-135 got capped and stuffed in the other cargo pocket, where it languished the entire day. At about the size of a softball (with hood inverted), it was no bother to carry in a cargo pocket all day.

Aside from a couple of wide shots of Main St, I didn't think I would use the 15mm at all. In the end, everything I framed in the viewfinder looked so good through the 15 that I never considered switching to the zoom. For most shots, AF was off and the lens was focused at infinity. Keeping the shutter speed at or beyond the focal length meant I got reasonable results handheld at 1/15 sec with SR enabled. Between this and the higher ISO range of the K-3, I hardly noticed the DA-15's mediocre "lowest" aperture.

Images shall be forthcoming in their respective categories, once my kinfolk give me a few minutes for a PP break.

02-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The DA15 works well in many situations.

I've found the shutter speed should be kept at 1/13s or faster with SR on any lens, not just the DA15. Focal length does not seem to be a major factor when it comes to SR, although admittedly I don't have any lenses over 300mm. This has been true (the 1/13s "rule") on any body I've used up the the K-5. And of course this is the limit, so my "keeper" ratio might be only 50 or 60% at 1/13s - possibly worse. 1/15s or faster is much safer.

For some reason, I can get away with as little as 1/6s with SR on my K-5 IIs (but not 1/5s - really!). So perhaps you can push it that slow (if necessary) on the K-3 as well.
02-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can very much identify with the above. We went on a short holiday a few weeks back.
I packed 15, 35, 18-55 and 55-300. 435 shots with the 15 limited and 5 with the 55-300. Others two lenses not used. It's just such a "right" lens. I even (against all theory) use it for portraits, which I find to be more interesting because they include some context / background. With that lens, I shoot backlit portraits into the sun, at 15mm and use the built in flash. Theory says they should be terrible, they're not and I'm not repentant.
02-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had always subscribed to staying at or above 1/60 sec hand-held, and shorter if the lens was longer. I figured SR would correct for any wiggling induced from button-pressing and mirror-slapping, thus "perfecting" my hand-held technique below 1/125 or so.

This is a crop shot at 1/20 hand-held on a moving ride. Conditions were about as awful as could be expected from "the Happiest Place on Earth". Brightening it in LR brought out the graininess of ISO 6400 in the dark.

---------- Post added 02-25-14 at 08:49 PM ----------

I just noticed the small demon shows some motion blur in his eyes. He was actually moving up and down at the time, so SR doesn't correct for that. To their credit, Ricoh states that SR will not correct for subjects that are actually moving.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo