Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 02:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA31mm Ltd Filters & Full Frame

I understand that the 31 needs a spacer or two in order for the filter thread to clear the inbuilt lens hood. What I would like to know is whether it is possible to use the 31 with a few filters without vignetting. I'm thinking of Lee grads and a Big Stopper or a CP/other screw in filter in combination with square format filter holders. If, additionally, anyone has tried this type of thing on a full frame sensor then I would like to hear about it. Thanks.

02-26-2014, 03:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Take a look at this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/90064-third...d-fa-31mm.html

I'm currently using it w the Janco hood (described in the thread). I have tried to put on Lee 10x10 filter system on the hood and it works fine. I believe on full frame most hoods will vignette though(including this one).
02-26-2014, 04:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, useful but I'm more looking at mounting filters directly without a hood.
02-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
I understand that the 31 needs a spacer or two in order for the filter thread to clear the inbuilt lens hood. What I would like to know is whether it is possible to use the 31 with a few filters without vignetting. I'm thinking of Lee grads and a Big Stopper or a CP/other screw in filter in combination with square format filter holders. If, additionally, anyone has tried this type of thing on a full frame sensor then I would like to hear about it. Thanks.
No spacers are needed for most ordinary 58mm circular filters. At least the ones I've used work just fine. As for the square kind you could mount them on an extended hood with no vignetting on APSC. I have a generic 49mm circular lens hood attached with a 58-49 step down ring. The hood accepts a 58mm cap and is threaded so it would take 58mm filters or an adapter for a square filter system. The extended hood is most beneficial in reducing flair.

Last edited by sundr; 02-26-2014 at 08:40 AM.