Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Samyang vs Rokinon & cousins

Samyang makes lenses and sells them through several brand names. I understand it is just a re-badge, and there seem to be longer or shorter warranties.
Can anyone confirm that these all 100% FUNCTIONALLY identical !?

Specifically, do all the versions (in K mount) have the "A" setting on the aperture ring (and thereby electrical contacts for aperture control) ?

Does a Rokinon have the same setup as a Samyang??

Google doesn't have images of K mount specific Rokinons - none that I could find. Thanks!

02-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
Can anyone confirm that these all 100% FUNCTIONALLY identical !? Specifically, do all the versions (in K mount) have the "A" setting on the aperture ring (and thereby electrical contacts for aperture control) ?
Yup they're the same lenses. They all have KA mounts too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Every one I've ever seen, except the tilt-shift for obvious reasons, has A contacts. I can't imagine they would make any without them as it doesn't really cost anything to have them and making two mounts doesn't seem cost effective.
02-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you look closely at some of "the same" 85's, the Rokinon and Samyang do not have an A setting, though the Bower does - or vice versa.

02-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If you look closely at some of "the same" 85's, the Rokinon and Samyang do not have an A setting, though the Bower does - or vice versa.
Many retailers only use one picture when it is a lens that covers multiple mounts. So the image they have up for the Pentax listing may be a Canon or Nikon mount lens.
02-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Many retailers only use one picture when it is a lens that covers multiple mounts. So the image they have up for the Pentax listing may be a Canon or Nikon mount lens.

Yep, but I have looked on B&H, Adorama, and the marketplace. Conflicting information.
02-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

Two versions

I have definitely seen an early version that does NOT have the A pin. So I would always check before hand what version the supplier is selling.
02-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I wondered this as well, but was able to confirm that product shots used by many vendors for the K-mount version are not of the K-mount lens.

Steve

---------- Post added 02-26-14 at 12:06 PM ----------

Yep, but I have looked on B&H, Adorama, and the marketplace. Conflicting information.
If in doubt, call...

Steve

02-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

On B&H in the user reviews its often commented that the lens has the "A" setting - so worth looking there too.

I have a Bower 85 f1.4 (fantastic lens!) and its definitely got an A position that works well.
02-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
On B&H in the user reviews its often commented that the lens has the "A" setting - so worth looking there too.

I have a Bower 85 f1.4 (fantastic lens!) and its definitely got an A position that works well.
I don't know that I have read a single review for the K-mount version of any recent* Samyang product that mentioned lack of the KA mount.

Steve

* Since the release of the 85/1.8
02-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
Can anyone confirm that these all 100% FUNCTIONALLY identical !?
They are sold as Falcon Pro Optic, Vivitar, Walimex, Rokinon, Bower, and others. Why would someone buy all of the lenses under all of those badges? Anyway, it doesn't make sense that most of them would have A mode on aperture ring, but one badge wouldn't.

If you are interested in a specific lens, just ask about that one and someone can probably help you.
02-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I have almost all the Samyang-made lenses, in different badges because they were whatever was the best price that Christmas, and every one is PKA-mount. You just can't trust the pictures - they are almost always for the wrong mount. B&H has one picture for all Bower 16/2.0s, and mount-specific pictures for the 24/1.4s, etc. It seems like every time someone claims that the newest release will be PK- and not PKA-, the claim leads back to a picture of a lens with a Nikon mount. You can't go by the pictures. Even if there was a first-version 85/1.4, I doubt you can find one new. I'd have no qualms about ordering any of them new - it'll be a PKA (if the folks in the warehouse don't send a Sony or Nikon box by mistake).
02-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I just checked for the "Pentax" mount:

B&H:
Bower = "A"
Samyang = Alpha mount photo - no "A"
Rokinon = EOS mount photo - no "A"

Adorama:
Bower Y
Samyang N (could not read mount)
Rokinon N (could not read mount)

This is what I what I hate about web shopping - particularly Amazon.
02-26-2014, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, there's no reason to trust me on this, but trust me on this - any new K-mount Samyang/Bower/Rokinetcetera lens will be KA. All of mine are KA. The other folks that have the lenses in their hands all say that they are KA. It just makes no sense that Samyang would take the small fraction of the lenses that they produce that are in K-mount and split that further into K and KA.

Admittedly, it doesn't make a lot of sense that you can buy the same lens with half a dozen different badges and prices, but it wasn't that different in the past (Sigma once made a 12mm fisheye badged for Spiratone, Accura, Beroflex, Berolina, Panomar, Universa, Upsilon, Vemar, AND Sigma) - what has changed is that we have visibility and access to all of the various distributors, where before it was only one or two per region.

I'm puzzled that so many times, folks have been willing to trust a picture of a Rokinetcetera lens without an 'A' position or 'A' contacts, but not question the missing aperture lever. Without that, it's not even a K-mount lens, more like an adapted M42. If they sold such a thing, you would hear about it.
02-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree that the pics are often incorrect, even the specs are often wrong, from one vendor to another. For some reason Rokinon lenses for K mount do not exist in pictures on the internets ..lol
Thanks for the replies!