Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
The Tamron 28-75 is the one lens you have to have.
I'm still at work on the phone so I'll provide a complete response later tonight.

In the mean time, damn those are some really impressive shots Brooke. What body were those taken with?

02-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #17
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
My goodness, do you mean with only 50 lenses (all acquired since 2008) some of which I will sell, I don't have true LBA? Who knew? Dang, I've got to buy more now...now!
Severe case - yes. Full blown, uncurable LBA - not yet. I have maybe 15 lenses (don't want to count), but that is since 2012. So you can see why I'm not willing to admit you have full LBA knowing the path I'm on.

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Originally posted by ChristianRock Quote You can't go wrong with the 77, but if I may make a suggestion, how about looking at the FA 135 2.8? I find the jump from 50 to 135 isn't as big as it seems on paper, meaning that I can cover the in-between with my feet. Last week I went to the zoo with the family and all I used was a 50mm and my A 135mm (I have the A version... it's what my budget allows). One on the camera and the other in my pocket. The only time I missed a shot was when the 135 wasn't long enough. Everything else, the combo handed fine. I also have ventured into the local parks and woods several times with nothing but a 28mm and the 135mm. Once you have one, it's far more useful than you think. One of my favorite things is to take pictures of my wife when I'm about 20 feet away or more. A lot of times she doesn't even know I took the picture, and I have some candid shots I'm very happy with. I do the same with my kids. Funny, I was about to say the same thing - FA77 or FA (or F) 135/2.8. You can't get much more discreet than these two lenses. The FA135 is so intimidatingly small that people treat you like you're pointing a 35mm or something at them. And the FA77 is even a little better. You'll think it's fantastic if you haven't had something like it before. But it costs more and isn't as long (really, you might want longer). I have no affiliation with the potential sale, but I noticed KEH still has a BGN FA135 for a very reasonable price. I'm not planning on selling mine, so you'll have to go elsewhere!
The 135 sounds fine for the applications you mention, but for street work wouldn't it be way too long? I'm trying to get used to that focal length, but I find it is too long too much of the time.
02-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
The 135 sounds fine for the applications you mention, but for street work wouldn't it be way too long? I'm trying to get used to that focal length, but I find it is too long too much of the time.
You'd never take the 135 out by itself. It's for those moments when you want to stand away from the scene. The main shooter for street work is always the normal or the wide angle.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 02-27-2014 at 03:02 PM.
02-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I'm not a street shooter, but I will note that some (but not all) street shooters prefer to use a moderate wide-angle lens, as it helps to capture the surroundings/context a bit.

For that reason and overall flexibility I would pick the 28-70, among your choices. Outside of your choices, I would suggest maybe the DA21 Ltd, for it's stealthy appearance.

I am perhaps a little biased because I think every kit needs some kind of wide angle lens, but that is a personal choice.

02-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the diverse and informative responses so far.

Personally, I've always enjoyed capturing the bustle of street life. There is just so much that a scene can convey depending on the actors and context within them. I don't think I'll deviate too much from that in the future. I've never been interested in landscapes too much or macro or wildlife. Portraits and street are where my interests lay.

Regarding the gear i take on a shooting trip, I would ideally prefer the flexibility of a zoom. Having to suddenly stop and step aside in the middle of the city to reach into your bag and switch lenses is quite awkward and takes away from the 'moment' of just walking around snapping photos.

Having said that though, I think I'm at a point where in addition to having the right composition and scene, I would like to maximize image quality. I know they recommend beginners to learn the basics and how composition and proper exposure is usually more important than the sharpest or fastest gear but I wouldn't mind starting to trend towards image quality now. This is why I've considered such a (relatively) sharper/expensive lens in the FA 77mm. However, seeing some of the photos (especially the samples that Brooke posted), it seems that the IQ/speed sacrifice would not be too great if I were to consider the Tamron 28-75mm.

Overall I think both choices have considerable benefits to them. I like the flexibility of the Tamron and the proven quality and performance of the 77mm. I do think though that if I were to choose the Tamron, my 35mm and 50mm would sit in my bag permanently. WIth the 77mm, I would have to contend with awkward lens switches every so often.

So what I've basically concluded is that...... I still don't know what to pick
02-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ravenorxs Quote
it seems that the IQ/speed sacrifice would not be too great if I were to consider the Tamron 28-75mm.
I've found that the 28-75's little brother, the 17-50, is already too large and obtrusive for discreet street use,
so I certainly wouldn't contemplate the 28-75 for that purpose.
02-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #22
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I've found that the 28-75's little brother, the 17-50, is already too large and obtrusive for discreet street use, so I certainly wouldn't contemplate the 28-75 for that purpose.
That is a factors, as is shooting with a large zoom. So before you debate the issue too much further, if you haven't tried out the 28-75 just to get a sense of its feel, that may be the next step to take.
02-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hmm, I'm not sure you can "round out" a collection with three lenses. It's a good start, though :-)

02-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ravenorxs Quote
I'm still at work on the phone so I'll provide a complete response later tonight.

In the mean time, damn those are some really impressive shots Brooke. What body were those taken with?
Easy. K10, K20, K-5 & K5IIs. The lens is constant.
02-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Only if there is a 'What should I sell next?' forum...LBA is a harsh mistress.
we need a 12-Step Forum...
02-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

We? do you have a mouse in your pocket Mike?
02-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Well if you do need a zoom of sorts, and you want something small, I guess there's only one option with good IQ... Pentax DA 20-40mm Limited... except it might still be too big. It's about the size of the 18-55 kit lens... actually slightly bigger.

To me, the answer to the question is easy, if I'm walking around street shooting, which I don't do very often but do sometimes, all I need is my DA 35mm f/2.4. Street shooters have used primes for ages, and most manage fine with it.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 02-27-2014 at 03:10 PM.