Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #1

What lens would you choose?

I currently have a k-5ii with the DA 35mm 2.4 and FA 50mm 1.4.

I'm thinking of either getting the FA 77mm to round out my collection or maybe consider the tamron 28-75mm 2.8.

The tamron is considerably cheaper and would give me that extra focal length as well as flexibility in a zoom. However it would kind of make my current two lenses redundant.

The FA 77mm could round out my current set quite nicely bit it's also quite expensive.

Anybody care to chime in with their thoughts?

I mainly like to shoot street and people.

02-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ravenorxs Quote
The FA 77mm could round out my current set quite nicely bit it's also quite expensive.
I mainly like to shoot street and people.
I like the DA 70 for street and people.
The AF, faster than on the FA 77,
can be advantageous in that situation.
02-26-2014, 02:12 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The advice you are most likely to get here is to get the FA77 Limited. Here are the reasons that will be given (all valid):
1) Primes are generally better than zooms, and most of the users here like primes a lot more anyway
2) The FA limited are pretty awesome
3) Fast lenses are always good, since in ordinary conditions, you will use them stopped down quite a bit, leading to the best sharpness (this is why fast primes are generally better than most other lenses)

But that doesn't mean it is the right lens for you. Honestly, no one can tell you that. And you can't actually get that information from the forum here. What you will get is feedback from people who own these lenses, but unless you have specific questions to ask them, you can kinda get the same thing from the user reviews and other assorted forum posts.

So, I contend that you ask these questions:
1) How important is a fast lens? Do you like to do bokeh?
2) How important is flexibility to you? Would you rather carry just one lens 90% of the time and bring the others only when you think you'll need the speed the primes offer? Do you like to avoid changing lenses?
3) Will your expectations of what you want to shoot change? Do you want to learn more techniques? Right now, you may shoot attractions, but given the right lens, you may find yourself fooling around with portraits or something else.
4) Are there intangibles to your decision? The FA77 looks pretty awesome, for instance. Do you care about how your gear looks or feels?
5) Do you care about resale value? Most good lenses hold their value well, but the Limiteds hold about 80% of their new price.
6) Do you mind having a lens you may not use all that often?

If you consider those carefully, then you will reach your answer.
02-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ravenorxs Quote
The tamron is considerably cheaper and would give me that extra focal length as well as flexibility in a zoom. However it would kind of make my current two lenses redundant.
A bit redundant but not completely so. The other two will still have a purpose for their size and speed respectively. If these are your only two choices then the 77 or DA 70 would be the stronger choice. If you are looking more broadly, you might also consider something like the Tamron 90/2.8 macro. A lot has to depend on what you need the lens for - especially if you push beyond street photography. As much as I have a few primes in the 28-50 range, and also a A35-105, I still look lovingly at the 28-75 as a fast zoom in a range I used broadly. But I don't think I would buy that and the 35/2.4 - if I had the scope to get a second lens I'd then look for something in a very different focal length range.

---------- Post added 02-26-14 at 04:28 PM ----------

Further thought - what sort of streets? Are you shooting in narrow spaces or not? Places where you can move with your feet or where moving with a zoom might be a big help?

02-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I second the Tamron 90/2.8 Di as being a notable selection for your use. Sharp as a tack.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would choose the prime over the zoom. Pentax makes some excellenttele primes: DA 70mm ltd, FA 77mm ltd, DFA 100mm macro WR
02-26-2014, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Brooke Meyer

The Tamron 28-75 is the one lens you have to have.

02-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

for your street shooting, the zoom makes sense.
for people (portraits?), i can think of no better choice than the FA77.
For my K5 rig, the FA77 is my second or third most used landscape lens...but the wide open bokeh for faces is just gorgeous.
02-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

moving

To the lens discussion forum.
02-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
:moving: To the lens discussion forum.
I still think we need a What should I buy next forum

---------- Post added 02-26-14 at 05:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
The Tamron 28-75 is the one lens you have to have.
MUST RESIST TEMPTATION - but your photos make this so HARD.
02-26-2014, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I still think we need a What should I buy next forum

---------- Post added 02-26-14 at 05:04 PM ----------

MUST RESIST TEMPTATION - but your photos make this so HARD.
Only if there is a 'What should I sell next?' forum...LBA is a harsh mistress.
02-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Only if there is a 'What should I sell next?' forum...LBA is a harsh mistress.
Those with true LBA never sell. It would be a less populated forum for sure. Easier just to let the financial realities take hold and they will answer their own questions with posting in the Marketplace.

Being a little more serious, I do think there is a difference between a general discussion about a lens, and trying to answer the question what lens is right for situation X.
02-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

You can't go wrong with the 77, but if I may make a suggestion, how about looking at the FA 135 2.8? I find the jump from 50 to 135 isn't as big as it seems on paper, meaning that I can cover the in-between with my feet. Last week I went to the zoo with the family and all I used was a 50mm and my A 135mm (I have the A version... it's what my budget allows). One on the camera and the other in my pocket. The only time I missed a shot was when the 135 wasn't long enough. Everything else, the combo handed fine. I also have ventured into the local parks and woods several times with nothing but a 28mm and the 135mm.
Once you have one, it's far more useful than you think. One of my favorite things is to take pictures of my wife when I'm about 20 feet away or more. A lot of times she doesn't even know I took the picture, and I have some candid shots I'm very happy with. I do the same with my kids.
02-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You can't go wrong with the 77, but if I may make a suggestion, how about looking at the FA 135 2.8? I find the jump from 50 to 135 isn't as big as it seems on paper, meaning that I can cover the in-between with my feet. Last week I went to the zoo with the family and all I used was a 50mm and my A 135mm (I have the A version... it's what my budget allows). One on the camera and the other in my pocket. The only time I missed a shot was when the 135 wasn't long enough. Everything else, the combo handed fine. I also have ventured into the local parks and woods several times with nothing but a 28mm and the 135mm.
Once you have one, it's far more useful than you think. One of my favorite things is to take pictures of my wife when I'm about 20 feet away or more. A lot of times she doesn't even know I took the picture, and I have some candid shots I'm very happy with. I do the same with my kids.
Funny, I was about to say the same thing - FA77 or FA (or F) 135/2.8.

You can't get much more discreet than these two lenses. The FA135 is so intimidatingly small that people treat you like you're pointing a 35mm or something at them.

And the FA77 is even a little better. You'll think it's fantastic if you haven't had something like it before. But it costs more and isn't as long (really, you might want longer).

I have no affiliation with the potential sale, but I noticed KEH still has a BGN FA135 for a very reasonable price. I'm not planning on selling mine, so you'll have to go elsewhere!

In fact, at this point you should probably take the money that an FA77 costs and get the FA135 plus a Tamron 17-50 (or 28-75, if you insist).
02-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Those with true LBA never sell. It would be a less populated forum for sure. Easier just to let the financial realities take hold and they will answer their own questions with posting in the Marketplace.

Being a little more serious, I do think there is a difference between a general discussion about a lens, and trying to answer the question what lens is right for situation X.
My goodness, do you mean with only 50 lenses (all acquired since 2008) some of which I will sell, I don't have true LBA? Who knew? Dang, I've got to buy more now...now!