Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is there a way to search the lens review database with search queries or download it?

Hi,

I can't figure out how to search it for advanced queries like "lenses with a sharpness rating of > 9" or in a certain price range.

Is there a way to search the database or can it be downloaded to a file so you can search with Excel or similar? There is a lot of great information in the reviews in the lens database but it's hard to sift through the data.

02-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Since the ratings are all subjective searches like that wouldn't be useful. It is better to go there when you're already interested in something instead of going there looking for something to buy.

When talking about used stuff, expectations for the price paid can have a lot to do with the ratings, what is seen as impressive for $10 isn't as impressive for $100.
02-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Currently, no there isn't. You can only search by keywords in the title, fields, or review text. It's something I'm planning to add later on, however.

I did once make a little page here which allows you to filter recent reviews by rating, but it's not very robust.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2014, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Elliott is spot on. The reviews are to be understood as a general idea of what you get for the price. They are not objective measurements.
That being said, they do give you a fair idea of what to expect. The real value is in scrolling down and reading the reviews and using the sample photo gallery.

02-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Elliott is spot on. The reviews are to be understood as a general idea of what you get for the price. They are not objective measurements.
That being said, they do give you a fair idea of what to expect. The real value is in scrolling down and reading the reviews and using the sample photo gallery.
I agree that the ratings are only subjective. It still would be very helpful to be able to search for lenses within a certain price range or other criteria for example and then to have to read only those reviews.

---------- Post added 02-26-14 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Currently, no there isn't. You can only search by keywords in the title, fields, or review text. It's something I'm planning to add later on, however.

I did once make a little page here which allows you to filter recent reviews by rating, but it's not very robust.
This is exactly what I am looking for. I would love to do some PHP hacking on this and get in some more filters.
02-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
Forum Member

I was a about to post this same question. Yes, I understand the review ratings are subjective, and that there is more value in reading the reviews. Even so, it would be useful to be able to filter, in e.g. Excel, for lenses with, say, a Bokeh rating of 9 or above. Or, say, to sort them all in descending order of Bokeh rating.

Would it be that hard to just export a flat-file table for download, or is the concern that it would be giving away too much intellectual property that another site might exploit by offering the same data?