Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
Well, Kayaker, I have had another look. I must be missing something. Sure the K landscape shot is a bit less exposed/darker than the the M one, giving an impression of greater contrast. Beyond that I find it tough to see any material difference. In the 'wide open' comparison of the rock, the foreground/corner flowers are sharper in the K version. Maybe it's the focus, maybe it is (as I said earlier) that the K is a bit better at the edges wide open. Having both lenses, I'm unbiased - but I can't see in that comparison the justification for the higher price, greater weight etc. of the K. (When I come to sell mine, it will be a different story )

(Incidentally my own comparison is based, most recently, on use with a K5 and Lightroom.)
I'm happy when everyone else is happy! For the present, I'm holding onto both. My personal priority, for a few things that come after the basics, after a clear concept of values, etc... those I judge to be "really important"... is to go for a sort of "practical perfectionism". Nothing OCD, I stress. I simply think there's this warm glow of real satisfaction, hard to tag with a price, that comes with having made the effort to get all the details right... where you can say to yourself, job well done; this is the best -- for me... and you're down to everything you need, and not much extra you don't.

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 03:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
While I no longer have the M to take more comparison shots, my decision to sell it was also based on results from both lenses in general use. I prefer the K, but both lenses are extremely sharp. My preference is based on colour and other less easily identified and tested qualities. Despite being slow, the K is capable of the mystical 3D effect, while the M is not.

My K cost double what the M did, and I consider that fair for the IQ, I'd recommend the K.
Yep, exactly. I suggested the comparison at f.8 as being an equalizer, something a little past the point where diffraction effects are starting to bite into resolution and you can put arguments about small differences in depth of field aside. I still prefer the "K" in your shots: I see more subtle gradations in color tone, better micro-contrast, a somewhat cooler -- subjectively "crisper" -- rendering I prefer; and, in particular, the 3D effect you cite. I'm just viewing these on a Nexus 7'2013' tablet...

Looking at the greenery in the lower left quadrant, for example, there is more variation in the greens (which also appear more natural looking and "rounder" to my eye); and the scene has a quality of depth -- as if you could "fall into the picture" -- which the "M" shot is somewhat lacking. The latter just presents a bit "flatter". The "K" edge is something I personally value. -- Fred