Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #16

Ha ha, I could see a new thread right now:
"Post your best poo pics..." ha ha
Good thing I don't have a macro, that could really "unleash my creative side" ) Lol

On a more serious note, thanks for starting this. A lot of folks would apreciate a list of good K20D lenses.

04-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I don't need to buy a K20D
You don't need to buy a K20D
You need to buy a K20D
You need to buy a K20D
You need to buy a K20D
You need to buy a K20D
You need to buy a K20D
You need to buy a K20D
You need to buy a K20D
You need to buy a K20D
You need to buy a K20D
need K20D
need K20D
need K20D
need K20D
need K20D
need K20D
04-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster

What I don't get is this - we have all these incredible photos that people are posting with
their K20D's, but all I remember seeing before the K20D came out was a crappy, underexposed
picture of a hawk in the desert.

Why didn't Pentax set up some shots with some really, really good lenses, and get
those out there when they had working prototypes ready? I mean, did anyone see
anything really impressive published anywhere by Pentax the company that was
attributable to the K20D? I certainly didn't.. Maybe I missed Pentax's brilliant marketing campaign.....

If you leave things completely up to reviewers, you're at the mercy of their schedule, and
their schedule involves first and foremost paying homage to Canon & Nikon, and increasingly,
Sony. You get on the schedule later.

If I were the marketing guy, I would have had images like this make their way into the
forums and into full page ads back in December. Pentax has incredible technology,
a boatload of brilliant lenses in K-mount, but they don't allocate enough $ to mktg dept..

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-18-2008 at 04:15 PM.
04-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

What I don't get is this - we have all these incredible photos that people are posting with
their K20D's, but all I remember seeing before the K20D came out was a crappy, underexposed
picture of a hawk in the desert.

Why didn't Pentax set up some shots with some really, really good lenses, and get
those out there when they had working prototypes ready? I mean, did anyone see
anything really impressive published anywhere by Pentax the company that was
attributes to the K20D? I certainly didn't.. Maybe I missed Pentax's brilliant marketing campaign.....

If you leave things completely up to reviewers, you're at the mercy of their schedule, and
their schedule involves first and foremost paying homage to Canon & Nikon, and increasingly,
Sony. You get on the schedule later.

If I were the marketing guy, I would have had images like this make their way into the
forums and into full page ads back in December. Pentax has incredible technology,
a boatload of brilliant lenses in K-mount, but they don't allocate enough $ to mktg dept..

HEAR HEAR....

I am getting massive exposure here in France next month as well as being filmed while shooting. No marketing interest. My images done with the Pentax are being exposed in Milan today and in Cannes the end of June, no marketing.

I totally agree with you. They don't get it. Canon know how to capitalize on the Pro's using their gear. Canon milked me as much as they could and did so with panache. They sponsor festivals of photography in Cannes, Arles etc. They sponsored public exhibitions for me. I tried to convince Pentax to cosponsor the 6th Festival of Fashion Photography in Cannes this year...and last year. Didn't happen. They just don't get it. I came up with novel marketing approaches based on my years as a Consulting Creative Director..Deaf ears. Too much internal bickering! Etc.Etc.Etc.

I have done my best to promote their fine products but....I am not the Bank of America!

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 04-18-2008 at 04:23 PM.
04-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Ben, you were right about this sensor all along. Brilliant... Class-leading.

Hopefully Pentax/Hoya will pick up the pace in the coming years, listen to people like you,
and market these cameras (& the K30D, K40D, etc) like they deserve.

04-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #21

I'm all for the promotion and betterment of Pentax, but i can't help but worry that if they did market their products as widely and aggressively as Nikon or Canon, and were successful at it, their products wouldn't be as affordable as it is now. Is this a justified concern?
04-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yowza

Wow! Some incredible shots with incredible glass showcasing the K20D's cropping ability!

K20D & Tulips (with 31, 85 and 200 primes) (Large Images): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

04-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

How much better is the Viv 105 compared to the Tamron SP90 latest model?

That's the macro lens I have, and have been very happy with the results. but you know what LBA is like - you see the faintest possibility of something BETTER, and you just GOTTA have it!

Is there much difference between those two lenses?
04-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

The K20D's 14.6 MP resolution is often discounted - It seems like the general consensus is that
current sensor technology 'sweet-spot' is 10-12MP. I'm not so sure. After playing with my Viv
S1 105 macro for the past couple days on the K20D, I think the 14.6MP combined with excellent
high ISO performance brings new capabilities to high resolution macro lenses. Cropping will
now take on new importance - my ability to crop a shot taken with a high resolution lens
is nothing short of stunning.

I think the sensors coming out in the next few years will now start to do the great lenses justice -
starting with the Pentax K20D + Vivitar S1 105 in 2008.

Here's an untouched (no sharpening, no PP of any kind) jpeg straight from the camera, with crop below:

ISO 800 - Viv Series 1 105 macro:
Nice and sharp w/ great details. That's the combo of a great camera and excellent lens.

Not just prime lenses, sometimes even a good quality zoom lens can do some wonder w/ a camera like K20D:

And here is 100% crop of his face (sorry for the mess, forgot to clean him up before we went out ):

Taken by K20D+DA50-135 @ 90mm F2.8, ISO100, 1/200s.
04-22-2008, 01:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote

If I hadn't been in such a hurray to get a dslr, I might've been able to hold out for one
04-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #26

Wow guys!!!!! I just got the K20D body a month ago but I had no idea it would perform to that level! The details are just amazing. I got myslef the Sigma 70mm Macro a few weeks back, can't wait for spring to finally show up!!!!! My understanding is that this Sigma is particularly sharp as well. Just out of curiousity, when was this Vivitar 105 initially released?