Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Where to repair the Tokina 60-120/2.8

Hi All,

My Tokina 60-120/2.8 has some fungus on different elements, and the lens barrel has some movement.

I brought the lens to a small local camera store and was told they couldn't fix the wobble, only after 2 minutes inspection without taking anything apart.
I have also contacted Eric, but was told he works on pentax gears only;
I looked at CRIS, and from quote page, I could not find any MF zoom lens. Not sure if they want to put their hands on this lens.

I guess cleaning the fungus is doable, in many camera store. I may be able to clean the big one under front element. But the wobble is an issue that I really want someone knows the lens well to fix it, so it will not come back with misalignment or decentering problem.

The lens still takes very nice photos, and I really hate to see it siting in the corner, or simply sell it as is and don't know what is going to happen to it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

02-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

CRIS will do any lens you ask. I've never had a problem with their work, and they are brutally honest, if it's not repairable they will tell you.

I've used them for the last 5 years and highly recommend them.

You can always call them. On trickier repairs, they will actually require you to send it to them for evaluation before they will give a binding quote.

That's probably why no MF lenses listed.
02-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I've never had a problem with their work, and they are brutally honest,
My experience with CRIS was also positive, although sometime it could take very long, waiting for parts. But most of my repair work were pentax AF lenses and Pentax DSLRs.

Good to know they work on any lens. I guess I will send mine in.

Thanks a lot.
02-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a Tokina 400mm lens that I wanted cleaned. I contacted C.R.I.S. and they declined - can't remember exactly how it was worded, but the answer was no. I then contacted Tokina's repair service in California by email. I described the lens and what I wanted done in some detail, and got a response from a supervisor saying "send it in". So I did, to the tune of about twenty bucks. After about a week or so, they sent it back with a note to the effect that they couldn't do anything to it because "it was out of production". Why they couldn't have told me that before I spent the twenty bucks, I don't know. But unless it's still in production, I don't recommend sending it to Tokina.

02-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Dave,
Thank you for your information. I have requested a quote from CRIS's website, and have emailed them as well. Let's see what they say.
It is a good lens and I don't want to give it to someone who don't know what he is doing.
If CRIS declines the repair, do you have an other suggestion? We have precision camera in Austin, but the only repair experience with them was not very good. They charges a lot, and the lens came back with smudge in the internal elements.
02-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
CRIS emailed back, saying that they can work on the lens, although if parts are needed, they could not get them (understandable).
I will send the lens in and see what happens.
03-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, a sad news about the repair in CRIS. They checked the lens and said they don't have an element to replace the the one has fungus (?!). I talked with a lady on the phone that I just wanted to have it cleaned, if there is still some marks on the glass, I am fine. The lens still takes great photo even with the fungus. But they refused to open the lens and said fungus will come back even after cleaning, if not replacing.
I will rethink sending discontented third party lens in for repair in the future.

03-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Well, a sad news about the repair in CRIS. They checked the lens and said they don't have an element to replace the the one has fungus (?!). I talked with a lady on the phone that I just wanted to have it cleaned, if there is still some marks on the glass, I am fine. The lens still takes great photo even with the fungus. But they refused to open the lens and said fungus will come back even after cleaning, if not replacing.
I will rethink sending discontented third party lens in for repair in the future.
I send my TOKINA AT-X PRO 80-200mm F2.8 TO CRIS on 3/05/14 for Cleanning and Calibrate, I got email from him Yesterday 3/13/14 that my Tokina service is $ 25.00 and $18.00 for shipping it back.I call in this Morning and pay for the service ,When they finished with it ,They will send my Len Back.
It is a good new for me because I bought the TOKINA Len from our Member here in Marketplace.
steven