Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Feelings about A* 200mm f4 macro

This lens arrived yesterday. I did a couple of random shots away from work far too earlier than I should have today.

This lens is about 970 gram and it is nicely all metal. Smooth manual focus ring with a nice firm grip to it. It balances quite well with k10d.

I have been dreaming about "what if?" with many lenses and this is one of them for sure. For some reasons, I do not have much luck with Fa* lenses. Instead, I bumped into A* more common ...

1. Wide open High ISO with SR and slow shutter speed

This lens shot wide open with the minimal focusing distance 45 cm is extremely difficult. DOF is so narrow and it is almost impossible to really handhold or even on monopod (tripod is really useless when it comes to insect shots unless they are dehydrated in this aussie weather we are experiencing here). Thle sharpness is reasonable wide open in the centre but light really falls off at the edges. This improves with increasing aperture 5.6 and above. The colour is just typically A* lens - fantastic!

1/30s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso1600 full exif SR PEF biblepro conversion; some noise reduction but not much (scared of compromising the image sharpness)

1/90s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso1600 full exif

These are not great images for pixel peeping as all these shots were shot in extremely dim lit situations with ISO 1600 and hand held with these ridiculous speeds. This shows how much I love pentax gear at present.

2. Fill in flash works great with this "dark" lens

F4 is seriously dark for me. Most of the time, I had to bump up the ISO to at least 400 to manage getting some photos without a motion blurr. A bit of flash does help but it is a bit tricky to do with my primitive sigma flash (I put my windscreen cloth over the flash ... )

1/180s f/8.0 at 200.0mm iso200 full exif

3) Overexposing in Full blown sunlight

I know this has been suggested somewhere in the post here. I wondered why as well. I had to stop down up to -ve 2.5 compesation in order to get some reasonble colour rather than washed out colour. While this lens is used under canopy of foliage, the exposure will be accurate... A mystery to me. But I get to know the lens a bit better now so I could avoid that better.

4) Purple Fringeing

A* 200mm f4 macro did get me 4 terrible purple fringeing when the light is about 45 degrees coming into the les from both sides either from reflection or direct lighting.

I tried to fix it with biblepro - just not possible to get rid of all these fringes

5) For any other general purposes

This is a fantastic artistic tool

Foral

Bees

I am really used to manual focus now. All the A lenses train your dexterity of hands and fingers - Good for rehabilitation tools I reckon.

Cheers

01-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sublime colour - I am now going to add this one to my list of 'to buys'. !
01-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow! You found a 200 macro really quickly. Congratulations. Every thing posted about the lens says its a handful to use. Both in size and technique. Sounds like fun to me. Nice start on pics. They do have that Pentax color. The insects better be careful now.
Wish there was a way to send you some of our excess rain. Here in the midwest of USA we have been in a flood watch all week. The ground is saturated and can't take anymore. Strange for our winter season. Normally this would be snow but its been too warm ( barely).
Enjoy that new lens. It is a stunner. Would love to see more shots and a picture of the lens. Is a flash upgrade next?
thanks
barondla
01-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was that lens up on ebay? It must have slipped by me

Fantastic shots & review! I must say that I'm really starting to like the MF A* lenses I picked up a 200/2.8 myself, and it's been in the bag for every photo shoot since I got it.

Mind posting an 800px image of your gem for the lens review section? Thanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still need to practice how to get the shot in focus with this lens

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wow! You found a 200 macro really quickly. Congratulations. Every thing posted about the lens says its a handful to use. Both in size and technique. Sounds like fun to me. Nice start on pics. They do have that Pentax color. The insects better be careful now.
Wish there was a way to send you some of our excess rain. Here in the midwest of USA we have been in a flood watch all week. The ground is saturated and can't take anymore. Strange for our winter season. Normally this would be snow but its been too warm ( barely).
Enjoy that new lens. It is a stunner. Would love to see more shots and a picture of the lens. Is a flash upgrade next?
thanks
barondla
I found it and I had been lucky with this lens purchase. This lens requires a lot of practice to get the shots I would have wanted. Some of my shots are not sharp here but I love the colour! Something I am very fond of.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Sublime colour - I am now going to add this one to my list of 'to buys'. !
Another gent for LBA queue

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Was that lens up on ebay? It must have slipped by me

Fantastic shots & review! I must say that I'm really starting to like the MF A* lenses I picked up a 200/2.8 myself, and it's been in the bag for every photo shoot since I got it.

Mind posting an 800px image of your gem for the lens review section? Thanks!
It was on ebay listings. I bought it out after 1 hour being listed on the ebay.

Sure, will do. Will do post a pic soon in the lens review section.

01-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some more practice today. Good fun with this lens

1/90s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso400 full exif

1/180s f/9.5 iso100 full exif

Cheers
01-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter

ahh, success I see...

Hi James!

Looks like it's a keeper...

I see you've discovered the quirks already. It amazed me how shallow the F/4 DOF really is.

Unless it's very bright sunlight: tripod, tripod, tripod. Even in very bright sunlight, I rarely handhold it when the subject is very close. I didn't realized the A* had a higher min. focusing distance (MFD). The MFD on my FA* is 28cm, so anything that close is quite wobbly when hand holding it... LOL

BTW, I almost always MF mine, so I don't consider the AF as useful, given the peculiarities of shooting macro.

You may want to consider a hood for it, since you've got nothing to shade the front element. I never realized how useful the hood is until seeing some of the situations the lighting put you into.

Just a thought - the FA* version is also a nice telephoto lens - how about trying yours in that mode? I'd be curious as to the results.

This lens will open a whole new world for you my friend. My perspective of the world around is much different since getting mine. I notice a lot of small things more readily now.

Look forward to seeing your photos! I'll live vicariously through you until springtime...

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 01-24-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
01-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is a built-in hood

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hi James!

Unless it's very bright sunlight: tripod, tripod, tripod. Even in very bright sunlight, I rarely handhold it when the subject is very close. I didn't realized the A* had a higher min. focusing distance (MFD). The MFD on my FA* is 28cm, so anything that close is quite wobbly when hand holding it... LOL

BTW, I almost always MF mine, so I don't consider the AF as useful, given the peculiarities of shooting macro.

You may want to consider a hood for it, since you've got nothing to shade the front element. I never realized how useful the hood is until seeing some of the situations the lighting put you into.

Just a thought - the FA* version is also a nice telephoto lens - how about trying yours in that mode? I'd be curious as to the results.

This lens will open a whole new world for you my friend. My perspective of the world around is much different since getting mine. I notice a lot of small things more readily now.

Look forward to seeing your photos! I'll live vicariously through you until springtime...

Cheers,
Marc
Hi Marc. Thanks for your reply. Thanks to your early post regarding Fa* and A* 200mm f4 macro, I could believe in this lens before I make the bidding on ebay.

Fa* version would be great in catching shots like Mike's flying dragonfly in the air with a backdrop of green bokeh! That is a hell of a dream to have a shot like that. Almost impossible doing that with A*.

A* does have a metal built-in hood that you can slide it back and forth. Quite handy actually. But I am scared of the wear and tear on the metal surface.

Regarding tripod use with macro, the insects I encounter normally do not stand still. It is either due to my whacko pheromone or these insects can detect my palpitations from a distance due to my excitement. Tripod also causes vibration when you place it on the ground and it makes the outing a bit of pain in the bum carrying extra appendages.

My car broke down today so I ended up waiting in front of my service station for a car check up. I discovered a few bees at the front of the car service centre and did a few shots.

1/1000s f/6.7 iso200 full exif

1/750s f/8.0 iso400 full exif

1/1000s f/8.0 iso400 full exif

1/1000s f/8.0 iso400 full exif

I will check your gallery regularly

01-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #9

Hey, James, the gear is made for using. A few rub marks and scratches give it that well used look of serious professional equipment. :-D
01-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
hey james,
these shots are all blurry except for just in the center. i think you got a bad copy. tell you what, i'll..........
01-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
Hey, James, the gear is made for using. A few rub marks and scratches give it that well used look of serious professional equipment. :-D
Love to protect my lenses like my own babies. It is hard. My heart aches everytime I slide the built-in hood back and forth...

Your words act as a consolement.

In actual fact, I also receive an EOS canon adaptor for k mount lenses. So I will test this lens on canon body as well and see what the difference is...

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
hey james,
these shots are all blurry except for just in the center. i think you got a bad copy. tell you what, i'll..........
Yes, Roy. I would try to improve the manual focus technique. You can manage shots like 500mm manual focus. I doubt I could do that very well.

I will rest my LBA for a while