Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, thanks for the response.

Good to hear how you are able to continue practicing photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by njphotog Quote
Being a new member to the forum, I was VERY surprised to find members preferring "light" lenses (as in weight). This I will never understand, although I do in a way understand it takes a load off hand-held photography but I have always found a heavier lens to be more stable especially shooting at lower shutter speeds.
A kit of light lenses is useful for travel where baggage is limited,
or for shooting situations where you have to hike in over rough terrain.

Shake Reduction helps a lot with the low shutter speeds.
Typically works for up to three stops slower than the 1/(focal length in mm)-second rule.

03-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Being a new member to the forum, I was VERY surprised to find members preferring "light" lenses (as in weight). This I will never understand, although I do in a way understand it takes a load off hand-held photography but I have always found a heavier lens to be more stable especially shooting at lower shutter speeds. A heavier lens definitely provides more stability as its own weight acts as a center of gravity/stability point. Probably just me and my preference but i will take a 3lb Lens over a 1.5lb lens any day assuming they have the same qualities/features. ~Dave
Pentax is a niche brand which make light, small and not so fast lenses in comparison to other brands. There is a nice feel on the huge lenses I have (Sigma 15-30 and 180macro) but somehow I end up carrying the small primes or the F35-105 instead.

Seb
03-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote

However I also think that old lenses get a bit of a pass around the forum, partly because it's hard to complain that much about something you might have paid $50 for vs. $500. And I think Pentax-brand lenses sometimes do too, on average. That's not unique to Pentax - it's like that with other brand-related forums too. So when you read a super-enthusiastic report, you might want to factor that in.
I definitely think that's true. It's really hard to be mad at a lens if you paid $35 for it.
03-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Old zooms in general, with very few exceptions, did not deliver sharp results, and even those that did, have severe PF problems on digital sensors. They have gotten much better in recent years.

Older primes on the other hand, deliver the results.
I don't know that either of those generalizations is true. I have owned and have used several "non-digital" zoom lenses over the years and I can't say that any were particularly prone to PF. The point regarding sharpness is well-made, but again, it depends on the lens and when it was made. The better higher-end zooms from the late 1970s through the 1980s were quite good back-in-the-day and still are. Earlier zooms are not that great. Ditto for the ubiquitous kit-lens zooms that were sold with many 80s vintage cameras. To go even further, I can think of one very well-regarded and fairly expensive digital era Pentax zoom that is fiendishly bad for PF. I won't call it out for fear of alienating its fans on this site.

As for primes...I have owned and shot some turkeys and still own some gems. I can't say that there is any guarantee of sharpness or lack of CA/PF that comes with the single focal length.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-15-14 at 07:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I definitely think that's true. It's really hard to be mad at a lens if you paid $35 for it.
And even harder if you only paid $10, like my Helios-44 M4. Man, I love that lens...

Steve

03-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a power zoom 28-80 for $1 off eBay. Of course, my daughter hates carrying it because it's "too big", but it's hers precisely because I don't care if she breaks it. It was $1.

Last edited by dansamy; 03-15-2014 at 11:44 PM.
03-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #21

Original Poster
Dave, thanks for the response.

Good to hear how you are able to continue practicing photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
A kit of light lenses is useful for travel where baggage is limited,
or for shooting situations where you have to hike in over rough terrain.

Shake Reduction helps a lot with the low shutter speeds.
Typically works for up to three stops slower than the 1/(focal length in mm)-second rule.

Completely understood and def not crying foul here. It is a preference/standard of mine and I do appreciate your response. Light lenses do have great advantages like you said when traveling light is a necessity. Shake reduction is a great advantage and like all Pentax users basically there is not much bad to say about it. But I would like to pose a question to you and any other photographers reading this.
Which would you prefer if you had only one choice? A heavier lens or a lighter lens? Assuming that both lenses have the same specs. I understand that the type of photography you are engaged in will depend on an answer but still would like to hear from other photographers of their choice and why that would be their specific preference.
~Dave

---------- Post added 03-16-14 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I got a power zoom 28-80 for $1 off eBay. Of course, my daughter hates carrying it because it's "too big", but it's hers precisely because I don't care if she breaks it. It was $1.
Nice catch. It obviously cost more to ship than the actual purchase. Why would someone sell anything for a dollar on ebay is beyond me. But still... very nice
I just purchased on ebay a Pentax *ist DL with kit lens 18-55mm and 50-200mm lens for $150. Something to keep in the car without worrying about theft/loss and having an "okay" camera if needed. I just got it and actually like this thing except for the double A batts :/

---------- Post added 03-16-14 at 07:37 AM ----------

Pentax is a niche brand which make light, small and not so fast lenses in comparison to other brands. There is a nice feel on the huge lenses I have (Sigma 15-30 and 180macro)
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
"....but somehow I end up carrying the small primes or the F35-105 instead."

Seb
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not familiar with that lens, it actually sounds interesting Do you generally have good results with it? I am def to lazy at the moment to look it up but am curious about it.
~Dave
03-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Shipping was about $5-6,IIRC. It was under $10 shipped & you really can't beat that with a stick.
03-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I am not familiar with that lens, it actually sounds interesting Do you generally have good results with it? I am def to lazy at the moment to look it up but am curious about it.
~Dave
The F35-105is reviewed here: SMC Pentax-F 35-105mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Nothing stellar, but it is quite versatile. Very quick AF, and it comes with the pseudomacro function. I have a good copy I think. This lens has not the same optical formula as the A35-105. It's slow, but I use primes in low light.

Seb