Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

SMC Pentax-A 1:3.5 35 - 105mm

Just bought this lens at the only camera store that i know of in my area and paid 30 bucks after getting 40 dollars for a trade in on 1 of my kit lens that i do not use anymore. So far with the few sample photos ive taken it seems like itll be worth the 70 dollars. Any hints or tricks to using this lens with my K-r and hopefully i didnt overpay for it, seems like good condition.

03-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering that the lens should go for around $150 in good condition, you got a bargain. Personally, I find it @ 35mm to long for a cropped sensor but the rest of the time its a great lens.
03-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had that lens. They call it the 'stack of primes'... hang onto it, you will love it! I am not sure about the 'r' camera but you should be able to use the green buton to meter or maybe even put it in Aperture priority and use it (I could on my K-01)

Great score!
03-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yea, i can use the green button to meter in manual mode but havent tried any other mode.

03-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 35-105 is the lens that stays on my K10D most of the time. It's probably my favorite lens on digital. Blackcloudbrew is right that 35mm is a touch long on APS-C, so don't expect it to take the place of a kit lens in terms of versatility. Pair it with a 16-45 and you'd have a great walking around combo.
03-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is my most fun lens, and if it wasn't for the weight, I'd use it all the time. While 35 is a bit long for crop sensor, the range from 35-105 means you can shoot most situations. Combined with the close focusing across all focal lengths and the separation of the focusing from the zoom as two separate knobs gives you a lot of flexibility. You should be able to use any mode because it has the aperture couplings. Enjoy the lens, it is a great one to own.
03-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Well i guess the only other question that i would have on the lens is when i turn the camera on it asks me to input focal length and gives several numbers. I usually just choose 35 but they go up and down in increments of 5. Any insight to what the different input focal lengths can do for me?
03-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
Well i guess the only other question that i would have on the lens is when i turn the camera on it asks me to input focal length and gives several numbers. I usually just choose 35 but they go up and down in increments of 5. Any insight to what the different input focal lengths can do for me?
The numbers are for shake reduction. There are several strategies for setting the SR focal length with a manual focus zoom. You can set it to the facial length you are going to use, or you can set it in the middle of a range you are going to use.

Personally I avoid using MF zooms for this reason. I have both the F35-70 and F35-135 as well as the FA 28-105.

03-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The numbers are for shake reduction. There are several strategies for setting the SR focal length with a manual focus zoom. You can set it to the facial length you are going to use, or you can set it in the middle of a range you are going to use.
The other option is to set it for a mid value, but one that is unique to that lens so you can later identify which lens was used for a particular shot. For my Helios 58 lens, I'm more likely to pick 65 instead of 55, because I also have a 55 Tak. The closer you get to the real value the better the SR will work, and if you are off by too much the SR can introduce errors into the images. I don't like using too many manual focus zooms for that reason, but the 35-105 is an exception because it has so much else to offer.
03-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That's a superb performer and one of my favorite lenses. I use mine a lot for portraits, but it's a versatile lens. It's one I'd never consider getting rid of.

You can turn the aperture dial to "A" and use every exposure mode the camera has to offer, just like you would with a new DA lens. The only thing that lens is missing is autofocus.

You definitely got a good deal! Congrats!
03-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Huh...I didn't know that! I thought the numbers were just for EXIF data.
03-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #12
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Huh...I didn't know that! I thought the numbers were just for EXIF data.
If you turn SR off and mount a MF lens, it won't even bother to ask you the focal length when you first power on.
03-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well so far i like it, got some decent shots using the macro inside the house. Been just a bit too cold outside to try anything else but its suppose to be in the mid 30's this weekend so hopefully will be outside to get some shots of anything not mud covered..