Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tamron 90 macro with raynox

Hi

Can anybody share their photos and experience with using the tamron 90 with raynox 250?

Hows the iq? Would iq be better off using a set of reversed lenses for equivalent magnification?

Thanks!

03-03-2014, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the Raynox 250 and a Tamron 90mm, I get to about 1.7:1, meaning that I get an image that's about 13-14mm wide on the sensor of my K-01. Image quality is excellent. The combo also responds well to adding extension tubes, and with 50mm of extension, the combo goes to about 2.6:1. Image quality still excellent, IMHO. Lens reversal might be better if you want to reach beyond about 3:1, but it's inconvenient - no in-body aperture control, and impossible to shoot non-macro. Shooting with the Raynox is a very pleasant experience, and it's very easy to add and remove it at the end of your objective in order to toggle back and forth between extreme macro and just regular macro and/or short telephoto work. To me, it's an excellent option for vacations, where I want to shoot macro (because it's what I love most), but I also want to be able to shoot other things easily and not carry a ton of gear. Whether it's a good option for you kind of depends on how much magnification you want/need...

My best Tamron 90 & Raynox 250 shots are here on Flickr. The snowflake shots have additional extension, but as of right now, all the non-snowflake shots are with just the Tamron 90 (272E) and the DCR 250.

Here's a sample (likely previously posted elsewhere in these forums):

03-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your Flickr collection is exquisite!
03-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Image quality is excellent.
Thanks for your detailed comment, I should acquire this Raynox to use with my M 100 macro lens.

03-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow thanks for your response. Sounds like they were made for eachother! Wonderful photos.

Cheers
03-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
Your Flickr collection is exquisite!
Thanks kpevav!

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Thanks for your detailed comment, I should acquire this Raynox to use with my M 100 macro lens.
You're welcome. Just remember that the M 100 is 1:2, so even with the Raynox, you won't get quite to the same level of magnification as the Tamron 90 does.

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
Wow thanks for your response. Sounds like they were made for eachother! Wonderful photos.
Thank you! Yeah, I'm not sure why some people seem to turn their nose up when Raynoxes are discussed - probably because they haven't actually tried them. The DCR-250 is excellent, and I'm not the only one to come to that conclusion.
03-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
You're welcome. Just remember that the M 100 is 1:2, so even with the Raynox, you won't get quite to the same level of magnification as the Tamron 90 does.
Yes, I know that. Just to have more magnification. because most of the times 1:2 is fine enough for me.