Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

FF Lens question...

Forgive me if this has been asked already or if its a sore subject....but I am going to ask anyway...

1, Will older Pentax lenses work on a full frame camera, if Pentax launches one, someday? I know some older lenses aren't recommended for APS-C sized cameras, just wondering if any older ones are FF compatible?

2, Which current, newer generation lenses designed for DSLR will also work with full frame? I know there some out there, but who knows which ones?

Jas

04-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Forgive me if this has been asked already or if its a sore subject....but I am going to ask anyway...

1, Will older Pentax lenses work on a full frame camera, if Pentax launches one, someday? I know some older lenses aren't recommended for APS-C sized cameras, just wondering if any older ones are FF compatible?

2, Which current, newer generation lenses designed for DSLR will also work with full frame? I know there some out there, but who knows which ones?

Jas
1) Any pre-DA series lens was designed to fill the 35mm frame. Consequently, any pre-DA series lens would presumably work with the aforementioned imaginary 'full frame' Pentax DSLR -- as 'full frame' means the image sensor would comply with the size of a 35mm film frame.

2)DA lenses are 'supposedly' designed for the smaller APS-C (also an antiquated film size) sized sensor -- which would cause the edges of the image frame to darken if used on a camera that uses 35mm film or a sensor the same size as a 35mm frame; this is called vignetting.

All lenses suffer from some degree of vignette -- but the effect would be greatly pronounced in a lens that projects a smaller image circle than the size of the sensor (or film frame) designed to record it.

3)Some people, claim that many DA lenses do in-fact project an image circle that will accommodate the larger 35mm frame. I don't know anything about this question. As I don't have a film camera or the will to test such things. But some people do, and they will probably reply with their experiences. Furthermore, as far as I know, Pentax doesn't release the size of the image circle that each lens produces.

4)DA lenses also 'supposedly' have extra coatings on the rear elements to reduce flare. . as in a film camera the film absorbs the light. In a digital camera, much of that light just bounces off the sensor -- causing imaging problems. Tho I have never seen nor experienced such phenomenon with any pre-DA lenses that I have ever used on my camera. This attribute is unrelated to the size of the sensor.

5) Pentax lenses break down like this:

M42, K, M, A, F, FA, and DA.

[M42, K, M, A] manual focus [F, FA, DA] auto focus

[M42, K, M, A, F, FA] 35mm frame [DA] APS-C frame

any revisions from those in the know are welcome!
04-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
aren't all the "limiteds" FF capable? Also the FA-J series?

Jas
04-18-2008, 02:16 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
aren't all the "limiteds" FF capable? Also the FA-J series?

Jas
The limiteds are pre-designated as FA or DA and can be catagorized as above. I've been hoping somebody with a film body, some DA ltd's and some spare time would test edge resolution. While the DA 70 and 40 have been tested to cover the larger frame, performance there is as yet a mystery.

To help clear up your questions - only DAs or DA* may or may not be able to reproduce a full frame image, everything else could.

Kelly.