Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer shooting with primes when possible, because primes tend to have better flare control, microcontrast, and distortion control than zooms, and I have more filters that work with primes. However, sometimes I need the flexibility of a zoom. If I'm going to an area I'm not familiar with, or if I'm I need a focal length I don't shoot at very often (say, 70 to 200), then a zoom lens becomes necessary. I'll also scout a location with a zoom lens (often with an m43 camera); go over the images in post; figure out what focal length is needed to get what I want; and then return when the light is right with prime lens and my K-5iis and grab what I want.

03-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I'll also scout a location with a zoom lens (often with an m43 camera); go over the images in post; figure out what focal length is needed to get what I want; and then return when the light is right with prime lens and my K-5iis and grab what I want.
You have some fantastic photos on your site. If you can scout, I can understand going with primes all the time. My concern though is when you cannot scout. For example, I am visiting my sister in CA this summer. No chance to scout and select what to bring.