Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help with lens compatability k10d Vivitar Series 1 28-105

Help!

I just got my K10d. I have old Vivitar Series 1 28-105. I am trying to make the zoom "work"

However, I can only get a clear focus on 28mm . All the rest is a blur.

Attempts thus far:
I have gone to "custom" , then "using apature ring," and hit 2 "permitted" pictures to be taken when aperture ring is other than A. This someallows me use the "foreign" lens, but only minimally

The I went to "focal length" there ar elots of options but only to a fixed length-- i.e. NO 28-105, or an other options. I pushed "28" and am stuck there. How do get this nice lens to work as a zoom on this VERY nice camera?

Ted

04-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
JMS

Post some sample pictures, so we can see the problem.
04-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
Post some sample pictures, so we can see the problem.
Hi JMS,

I have not gotten that far yet (camera arrived today. However, reading the manual (page 69, on shake reduction andf experimenting a bit more, it "seems" that I have to set the focal length in the shake reduction site each time that I want to use a different focal length on the zoom.. i.e., I can set it 28 and it works, and can (did) set it for 70 and it works, etc. But I cannot zoom and out quikly, thus reduring the zoom feature relatively useless.

Am I correct? It seems that Pentax would not (should not) advertise that all old Petax compatiable lenses are interchangable (I used this on my K1000 for years) if older zoom lenses cannot simply be plunked on to the K10.
04-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, that is not right... I have the VIV S1 28-90mm and I set the SR to 90 and go from there, I never had to reset it after that to get a clean shot. Turn the SR off and see if your quality changes.

04-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
here 's some pictures (bad). 2 of each. This at 28are cleanr. those at 105 are clurs. These in enough "field" here that somethisshould have appeared. No?
Attached Images

04-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Opps wrong pictures!! These wer myold Canon point and shoot!
04-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I don't understand your question, or your problem. When I bought my K10D it was a body only. I matched it with my Vivitar Series1 28-105 F2.8-3.8. This is a manual focus, manual zoom, A setting capable lens that I used for many years on my Super Program. A great performer. On my K10D, i set the focus lever to manual, set the lens aperture to A, put the camera in Program and took pictures with no problem. The focus indicator in the view finder worked just fine. The zoom is completely on the lens as is the actual focusing. After a while, I tried the shake reduction. Like Buddha said, just set it on a high value or near whatever FL you will be shooting at. It does it's thing from there on.
As far as I'm concerned, Pentax's statement regarding backwards compatability is completely accurate in regards to this lens.
Brian

Last edited by calicojack; 04-17-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo
04-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay. I am not eating humble pie, and feeling ignorant. I had suggest "pilot error" earlier, and it's certinly true The lens (absolutely my favorite since 1991 when I bought it!)has been sitting unused for about ten years. I simply forgot that the zoom is "completely on the lens." One push/pull of the lens and all was well. Sorry folks. ..
04-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe this lens is actually a varifocal rather than a true zoom. If so, don't forget you need to refocus as you change the zoom setting.
04-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. You are correct. As you may suspect,- this digital SLR "novice" (me) will probably become a pest as I begin to learn even more of the K10d, which everyone who has one seems to love. Me, I feel that I am "back home" with a nice hefty Pentax, but humbled by what it can do...
04-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tmacdon Quote
Sorry for the delay. I am not eating humble pie, and feeling ignorant. I had suggest "pilot error" earlier, and it's certinly true The lens (absolutely my favorite since 1991 when I bought it!)has been sitting unused for about ten years. I simply forgot that the zoom is "completely on the lens." One push/pull of the lens and all was well. Sorry folks. ..
I'm glad to hear that it was an error, not a problem.
The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask and the ones you keep asking over and over even after having been told the answer. Ask away. People on this list are very knowledgeable and usually more than willing to help.
Brian
07-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #12

Glad you figured it out...I was just on a jaunt today with my good old Series 1 on my k10d and I loved the results...made me pull all the old lenses out to try them!
09-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #13

Sorry to dig up this old thread, seems like there are members around with experience with this lens.

Does the A mode really works? For some reason I cant change the aperture on the body and whatever picture I take and it only show up as F2.8.

Can someone shed some light?
09-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by protocold Quote
Does the A mode really works? For some reason I cant change the aperture on the body and whatever picture I take and it only show up as F2.8.
I have the same lens, not using it much however.

But the lens does work as designed. Please clean the contacts on the lens mount and report back.
09-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #15

Also it seems like the "A" doesnt lock nor do I have to press the A button to move into/out of "A" position.. is that abnormal?

On my A50/F2, I always have to press down the A button in order to move the aperture in "A" position...