Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
using Canon/Nikon lenses with Pentax body?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Is there an adapter of some sort that would let me use Canon or Nikon lenses with one of my Pentax dslrs? If yes, can anybody offer a link for more info on this?

Will

04-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i looked and i found 0 but some one was modfing some some where i evin called B&H ect they sed no
04-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can't use EF lenses on a Pentax body since the registration distance of the EF mount is shorter than the K-mount's. If there WAS an adapter, you wouldn't be able to achieve inifity focus with it.

It is possible to use Nikon lenses on K-mount bodies. I've also heard that old Nikon lenses work even without an adapter (!)
04-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
You can't use EF lenses on a Pentax body since the registration distance of the EF mount is shorter than the K-mount's. If there WAS an adapter, you wouldn't be able to achieve inifity focus with it.
Hmmm. Guess that makes sense.

QuoteQuote:
It is possible to use Nikon lenses on K-mount bodies. I've also heard that old Nikon lenses work even without an adapter (!)
Interesting. Have any idea how I would know if a lens would work?

Will

04-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Is there an adapter of some sort that would let me use Canon or Nikon lenses with one of my Pentax dslrs? If yes, can anybody offer a link for more info on this?

Will
Hi Will,

I think that this can help you Re: Using Nikon F Lenses On Pentax K Bodies (LBA Post): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. Hope it helps
04-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
note those are non-AIS lenses, can't imagine those lenses would be better than equivalent Takumars and K's and M's to make it worth the hastle
04-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Interesting. Have any idea how I would know if a lens would work?

Will

Sadly, no. I read it somewhere on these forums. Chances are a more knowledgeable member will come along and answer your question.

04-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
note those are non-AIS lenses, can't imagine those lenses would be better than equivalent Takumars and K's and M's to make it worth the hastle
Nikon has its legends too. I am not expert in NAI lenses but I think that the 105 is dirty cheap and sharp. I think that they also had a 55 f2.8 and a 200 f4 micro that are interesting. And the 20-28 wide primes are also good. There are also a 50 f1.2 and/or 55 f1.2, and 85 f1.4 and.....
08-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #9

I'm sorry for digging this up but I have a question with a same issue above. Is there any opportunities that I can make some kind of Adapter to use MPE 65 of Canon on my K20D?

Of course some of us already knew that the MPE 65 is macro lens 1x-5x only for Canon but working only for Macro purpose and it can not be used as normal lens.
08-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the biggest problem would be controlling the aperture. As I understand it, the EF mount does this electronically. You might have to settle for fixing the aperture at one setting. The registration distance problem is not a big issue for macro purposes, as it is like using a short extension tube.
08-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
I check local Craigslist and buy Nikon cameras/lenses only if the price is good. I then try the lenses with my K10D and decide which lenses to keep, the rest goes to FleaBay.

Sometimes I keep a lens to use for a while until finding a K-mount equivalent. I actually prefer Nikon lenses to M42-mount lenses because the use is virtually the same (manually closing down the aperture before releasing the shutter), but Nikon lenses don't require an adapter.

I currently have a dozen Nikon lenses in my possession. I will sell most of them, but will keep (these are all pre-AI):

- 105mm F/2.5
- 85mm F/1.8
- 35mm F/2

These are the ones I used for a while before getting K-mount equivalent:

- 200mm F/4
- 55mm micro F/3.5
- 135mm F/2.8
- 24mm F/2.8
- 180mm F/2.8
- 50mm F/1.4
- 85mm F/2
09-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
...I've also heard that old Nikon lenses work even without an adapter (!)
Holy cow !

I just tried this, think ing you were a crazy guy - but it actually works. I placed a Nikon AI 50mm lens (it had the claw thing) to my Pentax *ist DS and it seemed to work fine. It does not attach as well as a K-mount lens but it was funny to try.
09-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will
will

the biggest issue, assuming no modification is that as soon as you put an adaptor between any lens and a different body, you add distance between lens and focal plane. This is the registration distance.

I have seen reciently some chineese adaptors with optical correction, and I would be really curious to know how they perform because they add a lens in the light path to correct for the change in registration distance.

Of course, this would only work in stopped down mode like M42 lenses but if it avoids chopping up a perfectly good lens to make it fit why not.

edit notes

try these sites

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/nikon-pentax-adapter.htm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-Lens-to-Pentax-Adapter-for-K110D-K200D-K20D-K10D...51510002r34023

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Camera-accessories/Lenses/N...-242732743.htm

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 09-29-2009 at 12:43 PM.
07-14-2010, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #14

Nikon lens to Pentax ....WARNING !! DANGER !! WR

WARNING ! To All you guys that are screwing Nikon lens on Pentax body.

You are gravely mistaken to think the old Nikons "fit" on the Pentax SLR bodies.

It's just barely staying together(not "fitting") with lots of potential damage to your camera or possibly the lens. You see ...the Nikon lens screws on the it's camera in the opposite direction from the way a Pentax lens screws on to a Pentax body.
The parts of the Nikon lens that are holding is the back end of the treads to the THIN tail end of the treads on the Pentax body. If you bump or in some cases snug it a little more to tighten it up, just a little , you can damage or warp the thread fins & bayonet mount on your camera . You will then not be able to get ANY Pentax lenses back on your new Digi Pentax SLR. In some cases the aluminum bayonet threads just break .Continuous use will definitely start to fatigue and crack your bayonet threads the more you try to match the Nikon to the Pentax mount.
Many people have already done it. It makes the repair shops happy . They do need the extra income in this destroyed economy though.

If you feel compelled to attach the Nikon lens to the Pentax buy the adapter off the .NET and deal with the extra glass to compensate for infinity. Or have the bayonet ring on the lens replaced with a Pentax. This will require a tech that knows how to drill the precise holes and thread for new screws. Oh yes, you wll need a very thin spacer between the ring and lens to match the "lens registration" distance. This is coincidentally about the thickness of 35mm film.

Be careful my fellow Pentaxers
07-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will
Will there are Chinese optically corrected adaptors for canon FD and nikon AI lenses to k mount

I bought one of each to try. Both are simple low magnification teleconverters, the nikon adaptor is 1.25x the canon one is 1.45x. Both have the associated loss of a half or one stop respectively and both suffer from blooming of colors with 50mm f1.8 lenses. Stopped down on a good lens they perform OK. As a conclusion they are good for portrait and tele lenses but useless for wide angle due to the magnification