Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Would you buy a lens only to use it a couple of times/year?

Dumb question maybe...but I'm worried about its longevity (fungus, oils...overall lens condition if not used often). Yeah some of you might suggest renting instead, but would rather own it for when the need arises....itching to buy the DA 15mm. I know I'd use it at least twice a year and that doesn't mean it won't be 10x/year or more. What do you guys think?

03-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hegemon Quote
Dumb question maybe...but I'm worried about its longevity (fungus, oils...overall lens condition if not used often). Yeah some of you might suggest renting instead, but would rather own it for when the need arises....itching to buy the DA 15mm. I know I'd use it at least twice a year and that doesn't mean it won't be 10x/year or more. What do you guys think?
i'd buy it...i have one..started using it periodically and now i use it more...depends on what i'm shooting but once you know you have it you end up using it more than you thought
03-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
itching to buy the DA 15mm. I know I'd use it at least twice a year
I guarantee if you've bought this lens, you'd have trouble taking it off the camera, you would probably have to buy a second body for "other" lenses.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-04-2014 at 04:39 PM.
03-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've rented a number of lenses. After renting I bought the 10-17 fisheye, the Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro. I skipped the DA21mm, 60-250 and would like to buy the Sigma 8-16. It's worth renting once or twice to figure out if an expensive lens fits your style.

That said, resale prices for used lenses are pretty constant, meaning you'd be out shipping charges if you bought and decided you didn't want it anymore. Not a big risk.

A good wide-angle prime is really a joy to use, so if you think you'd use it a couple times a year you'll probably use it more than that.

03-04-2014, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

To answer the other part of your question, I can only give my experience. For lenses I think will not be used for months at a time, I store them in the original box and packaging, with the desiccant pack it came with. I've never had a problem with fungus or other signs of deterioration.
03-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It depends on whether you can afford to keep a luxury item like that... in my case the answer is no, unless it was something really cheap.
03-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Buy it used. You can sell it for about what you paid. With shipping, the rental cost doesn't really balance out (for me, anyway). And I use the 15mm much, much more than I ever used my 10-20 (which I'm actually thinking of selling because it's only been on my camera *once* since I got the 15mm). It's really a wonderful lens.

03-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The DA 15 is an excellent lens. That said, if you don't have a decent handle on how or when you would use it then you should probably pass on buying it. I go for long stretches without using mine but when I do use it, I'll shoot hundreds of shots. Usually, that's a car show or motorcycle show or rally. Since it's very small and compact, it's always in my bag so if an occasion arises, It's there.
03-04-2014, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

The DA 15 is my most used lens. The point of a wide angle is not just to shoot a wide scene (though that is useful), but more to accentuate the close foreground and send back the background whilst maintaining large depth of field. This generates drama. Combine that with the beautiful blue skies this lens renders, the great highlight stars (SMC version only I believe), superb build, and impressive compactness, and you have a lens you'll use regularly.
03-04-2014, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

For what it's worth -- since you have the 40 also, you can get the double version of one of these nifty things:
OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap

And carry your 15 and your 40 with you everywhere with it still taking less space than most manual primes (mine's the 40XS so it's a touch smaller):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
03-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
Overwhelmed by all your responses. Thanks a lot everyone! Guess I know how loved this little lens is.....I'm going to buy it! On the other side of the coin I guess some of my other lenses will get less action.....
03-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The DA 15 is an excellent lens. I go for long stretches without using mine but when I do use it, I'll shoot hundreds of shots. Since it's very small and compact, it's always in my bag so if an occasion arises, It's there.
Pretty much my experience with the DA 15 as well.
03-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

There is also something such as the 12-24 both Pentax and Sigma (But the Sigma doesn't allow you to use filters if that is a dealbreaker), the Sigma 10-20mm, or the Tamron 10-24mm..

then you have a bit more wiggle room should you need it for framing..
03-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
There is also something such as the 12-24 both Pentax and Sigma (But the Sigma doesn't allow you to use filters if that is a dealbreaker), the Sigma 10-20mm, or the Tamron 10-24mm..

then you have a bit more wiggle room should you need it for framing..
If IQ is paramount, then only the 12-24s (or Sigma 8-16) are a good option. But I still like the DA15 better than any of those if the Focal Length is anywhere near what you need.
03-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #15
Banned

Well if you make twice a year an image wordwhile to you, then you should buy that lens.