Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool looks like we will have a few of you folks testing it, thanks.

03-06-2014, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I can save you a little trouble to start.

Just opened my box from B&H and mounted the ice-cold 1.4x Pentax teleconverter on my da*300 and K-3. the good news is the focusing is faster than I expected and its a dream come true after wrestling with the old Pentax 1.7x for years. The not-so-sure news is the sharpness needs help. Because its almost dusk here I will cut it some slack for the slow speed and high iso to get some outdoor test shots. Also, I have NOT done the firmware upgrade and am hoping that between the new firmware and a little daylight tomorrow I can get some sharp shots. Another plus, the TC is so small and light (compared to the 1.7x) that I don't even notice it on the lens.

So here's to firmware and daylight! I will update this post later tonight if the firmware makes any noticeable change for indoor shots.

Ok, so one firmware update and a test bottle of juice convinces me this TC is for real.
The left pic is K-3 + da*300 + 1.4xTC at f8 (the camera automatically ups the displayed aperture by one stop when the TC is mounted) shown at 70%
The middle pic is K-3 + da*300 at f8 shown at 100%
The right side pic is K-3 + da*300 at f5.6 shown at 100%

No adjustments, no worries about in-camera settings, just 3 shots of each to make sure they did not vary and they did not.

With the originals I find a very slight advantage to the left side shot with the TC. Very pleasing that looks slightly better (to me anyhow) sans TC. I am a happy camper with this purchase so far....now tomorrow its time for the real test and find some birds!
Attached Images

Last edited by imtheguy; 03-06-2014 at 04:15 PM.
03-06-2014, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Cross posted from that other TC thread.
A few questions answered...it works pretty much seamlessly, it works on third party lenses, it allows you to use selective focus, works seamlessly on either SDM of screw drive, ... and it tells the exif file what it's doing... I didn't have a lot of time with it today... but I got out late.

On the DA * 60-250 (SDM)

On the Tamron 90 Macro (screw drive).

03-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Excellent! You had both daylight and birds..i lacked both for my testing. Your shots are quite encouraging.

03-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks good. I use the DA*300 mostly wide open at f4 and am quite satisfied with what I get; the alternative would be a stop to get a bit more sharpness in return for a stop higher iso. Any shots wide open?

Thanks.
03-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Ok, so one firmware update and a test bottle of juice convinces me this TC is for real.
The left pic is K-3 + da*300 + 1.4xTC at f8 (the camera automatically ups the displayed aperture by one stop when the TC is mounted) shown at 70%
The middle pic is K-3 + da*300 at f8 shown at 100%
The right side pic is K-3 + da*300 at f5.6 shown at 100%

No adjustments, no worries about in-camera settings, just 3 shots of each to make sure they did not vary and they did not.

With the originals I find a very slight advantage to the left side shot with the TC. Very pleasing that looks slightly better (to me anyhow) sans TC. I am a happy camper with this purchase so far....now tomorrow its time for the real test and find some birds!
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Cross posted from that other TC thread.
A few questions answered...it works pretty much seamlessly, it works on third party lenses, it allows you to use selective focus, works seamlessly on either SDM of screw drive, ... and it tells the exif file what it's doing... I didn't have a lot of time with it today... but I got out late.

On the DA * 60-250 (SDM)

On the Tamron 90 Macro (screw drive).
Thanks a bunch to you two !
We are finally getting some real "tests" (I hate saying "tests", but for lack of a better word ...).

So .... honestly: do you think there is some truth into admitting that this TC is well worth its hefty price?

@ imtheguy ... In terms of IQ, if I were to compare the shots taken with the DA*300/4 with/without the TC, what is your "rating" from your posted images ?

I am asking many questions because I am on the verge of hitting the buy button at Henry's, which will take me back $600 vs. near $6000 for a Sigma 500/4.5 -- I know, I am comparing apple to oranges here but better have good IQ at 420mm than busting the retirement funds.

I also see that the cropped images at 70% and 100% are quite good indeed or is it me trying to justify the IQ of the TC?

Cheers!

JP
03-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This may be the first converter that does not slow down AF

Mechanical screw drive converters have a reducer in the screwdrive such the for a 1.4 converter one turn on the body end results in .6 of a turn lens end.
This automatically compensates for the increase focal length
i.e
if a lens reuires 10 turns to focus 1ft, then with a 40% increase in focal length it will need 6 turns for 1ft.

Because they are dumb there is no way of letting the body know this so the body will still turn 10 turns but the reducer in the screw fixes it.

This is why Pz converter do not work worth a dxmm there is no auto reducing.

The only way round this is to tell the camer the true focal length so the camera can make to adjustments , handily you need this for SR anyway.

But the upside is you no longer need to reduce AF becasue when you fit the 'smart' converter it tell the body the correct focal magnifyer and as in the the example above the camera will now only deliver 6 turns be that SDM or screw.

so the AF benfit is not only AF going to be faster than a mechanical converter but shoudl also be 40% faster than the native lens.

03-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
This may be the first converter that does not slow down AF
so the AF benfit is not only AF going to be faster than a mechanical converter but shoudl also be 40% faster than the native lens.
Tx for this information! I read your post on DPR on the same topic and didn't understand what you were talking about. Fortunately this post is clearer and now I understand. I also see now why my Tamron 1.4x might not work properly with my SDM glass, whereas it always did with my screw driven lenses. I gather this is because the screw on the TC *did* slow down AF, but the powerzoom contacts just made the SDM lens move the same as without TC and as such pass by the focus lock again and again... Interesting and revealing!

This also means that posters that thought seeing an improved AF with older TCs after the firmware upgrade are probably mostly just imagining things? This happens often with firmware upgrades, i.e. people believing to see improvements that are not there. So why a firmware upgrade? I guess it's just for lens corrections or AF adjustments (using a different lens ID compared to the ID of the native lens only)?

I'm still waiting to see performance on the FA*300/4.5 and the DA*50-135/2.8 and then I'll hit the order button for this TC I think...

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 03-07-2014 at 01:49 AM.
03-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Tx for this information! I read your post on DPR on the same topic and didn't understand what you were talking about. Fortunately this post is clearer and now I understand. I also see now why my Tamron 1.4x might not work properly with my SDM glass, whereas it always did with my screw driven lenses. I gather this is because the screw on the TC *did* slow down AF, but the powerzoom contacts just made the SDM lens move the same as without TC and as such pass by the focus lock again and again... Interesting and revealing!

This also means that posters that thought seeing an improved AF with older TCs after the firmware upgrade are probably mostly just imagining things? This happens often with firmware upgrades, i.e. people believing to see improvements that are not there. So why a firmware upgrade? I guess it's just for lens corrections or AF adjustments (using a different lens ID compared to the ID of the native lens only)?

I'm still waiting to see performance on the FA*300/4.5 and the DA*50-135/2.8 and then I'll hit the order button for this TC I think...

Wim
Sounds like your dithering like I was , Its a tough ask at that price and leaping in the dark is unreasonable for Ricoh to expect. IMO

I doubt the firmware update impoves legacy converters at all , at least my Pz convrteres show no difference but.....

I think the firmware may have extended the AF timeout as though the hunting is the same the number of presses to achieve lock seems less.

But that isn't scientific just my perception.

Fw pre updates Pz converters unusable with SDM post update Pz converters unusable with sdm
03-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Looks good. I use the DA*300 mostly wide open at f4 and am quite satisfied with what I get; the alternative would be a stop to get a bit more sharpness in return for a stop higher iso. Any shots wide open?

Thanks.
My crappy indoor shots at iso1600 include a wide-open since f5.6 (shot on far right) is as open as it gets. The TC adds one stop to the displayed aperture.

Was so looking forward to some daylight testing today but March has come in like a Lion and its dark and stormy. At least I can go out and test the weather proofing.

I can only watch for you other folks with the TC in hand and better weather to post more encouraging shots today.

---------- Post added 03-07-14 at 08:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks a bunch to you two !

@ imtheguy ... In terms of IQ, if I were to compare the shots taken with the DA*300/4 with/without the TC, what is your "rating" from your posted images ?

JP
I really cant rate it yet from just a single set of indoor shots, but at least did not see anything discouraging.....was soooooo looking forward to sunlight today but not getting that wish.
03-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is new firmware for this teleconverters for all cameras since the K7. Does anyone know what this firmware includes? How does it work, does it require manual input for example?

The reason for asking is to understand whether this may improve stabilization and P-TTL on my sigma lenses with the Sigma TC
03-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm watching this closely also. I don't mind paying the price for a quality accessory like this, but have to prove to myself that it is worth it.

I would be using it with my DA* 300 on my K-5IIs. I just can't see how this TC would be much better than cropping that little bit.
03-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still waiting. (Sigh)
03-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
There is new firmware for this teleconverters for all cameras since the K7. Does anyone know what this firmware includes? How does it work, does it require manual input for example?
From what we've seen so far, the new TC recalculates the focal length itself (even without firmware upgrade), so no manual input is required at all. Since the TC seems to work fine without firmware upgrade as well, I guess the upgrade will concern finer details only, without anything visible in terms of UI changes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The reason for asking is to understand whether this may improve stabilization and P-TTL on my sigma lenses with the Sigma TC
Since the Sigma TC does not make itself known to the body (a firmware upgrade on the body side cannot change that) nor does it recalculate the focal length/aperture, there is no reason whatsoever to assume anything will work any differently for your Sigma combo after the firmware upgrade.

Wim
03-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'm watching this closely also. I don't mind paying the price for a quality accessory like this, but have to prove to myself that it is worth it.

I would be using it with my DA* 300 on my K-5IIs. I just can't see how this TC would be much better than cropping that little bit.
I don't have mine yet, but I find the reach of the DA*300 is limited by the ability to get accurate focus. Even on the K-3 having the subject magnified so that it can lock focus will help. I expect a slight degradation in IQ, I don't think that can be avoided. Last summer the 150-500 sigma, although not equal to the IQ of the DA*300 got more keepers because it allowed focus. If the subject was in focus, the cropped DA*300 shots were better, but with the realities of wildlife shooting, with moving targets and busy scenes in dodgy light, getting that focus was a challenge.