Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So... Any news or ETA on the Sigma 30mm F/1.4 Art?

I thought this lens had been announced as arriving for Pentax at the end of February, at least in Japan - the PF article on the announcement said February 26th. I've been calling a few Canadian stores to no avail. The announcement of this lens has significantly altered my lens buying roadmap! But will it materialize and when? How soon is now? Any news?

03-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Doesn't seem to even be available for pre-order yet, no news about it in the US yet.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Patience you must have my young Pentaxian. They only announced it last month.
03-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's Almost Here!

Thanks for the feedback folks. Yes, patience is a Pentaxian virtue, apparently. For example, ever since I joined the fold, the Pentax lens roadmap has been taunting a possible new 18-80-ish which never seems to materialize. The Sigma 30mm F/1.4 in its previous incarnation was an odd beast, with some people saying its their favorite lens in the world and others saying they wouldn't use it if it was the last Pentax-mount lens on the planet. Possibly those were respectively the opinions of portrait vrs landscape shooters... Anyway, with the new version reputed to be almost as sharp as the old one in the center and much improved in the corners, perhaps there will be less of a split in opinion on this one.

I just called up Sigma Canada and was transferred to customer service, and when I asked for an availability date, they told me that they received it two days ago and have stock! No retailer has a single copy just yet, but it should be possible to special order right now. No patience required! Well, almost... Now I just wish my lens acquisition fund wasn't bone-dry from acquiring a new-to-me HD DA70 which hasn't even arrived yet. But hey, what are credit cards for, right?

Last edited by Doundounba; 03-06-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: LBA note...
03-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Further news! Just got a quote from Henry's that says "Stock Availability Confirmed". They will be listing it at the current Suggested Retail Price: $569.99, with free shipping in Canada. After taxes, it winds up at about $600 (vrs around ~350 for a used copy of the old one, I guess). Waiting for a return call for a quote from Lozeau...