Nice! Thanks!

03-08-2014, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

Want to learn more? Check this out:

Zoom Lens vs Prime Lens | Demo Mateo

M
I think there's some very dodgy 'information' on that blog ...
03-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Given that you have an 18-55, I'd try to swap the 18-55 plus cash for a Tamron 17-50, because it's the least expensive lens in its category. I had an A 50 1.7 first, but now would use the Tamron for anything I'd use the A for (except reversing it, I supposed, since the A has an aperture ring.) The bokeh probably won't thrill you, but the bokeh from most of the less expensive "fast 50s" won't thrill you either. I had a 50/1.4 in the film era and rarely used it, although obviously it depends on what you're photographing.

I certainly don't think you learn anything more from an M or A lens than from an F or DA - except maybe how difficult manual focusing can be, especially on distant objects.

At the very least you might consider what you want to use the lens for, instead of just wanting a fast 50. You have to remember that the dof at 1.7 or 2 is going to be very, very narrow, so while there are certainly times I've used wider than f2.8, I've missed focus (maybe just very slightly) a fair percentage of those times, even in the much easier-to-focus film days. Or, in some cases I hit the focus but there just wasn't enough dof and not enough of the image was in focus. I find a lot more use for f4 or so at 50mm than for wider apertures, although it definitely is handy to have wider apertures for those times when you're doing manual focusing. I usually use MF for very close objects, even when the lens has AF.
03-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
I think there's some very dodgy 'information' on that blog ...

Goes with the territory, IMHO. "Free" information from an unknown source, or open forum, or a stranger, should always be considered somewhat dodgy... eh?

Cheers... M