Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone with info re the Pentax teleconverters?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been trying to buy a Tamron 1.4x MC4 TC for my K20D, but so far unsuccessful. I just missed out on one in the Marketplace forum by virtue of timezone differences!

However, I gather that Pentax are allegedly bringing out a TC or two, that will work with the DA* lens focusing motors etc.

Does anyone have any info, or links to info, re these, and any ideas as to when they may materialize?

Thanks.

04-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nothing yet, I was thinking that it was going to come out with the DA*300mm so I would think it be any time now.
04-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that, Buddha I guess patience is a virtue, but it sure ain't easy to wait for something with an indeterminate ETA....

If anyone can shed any further light, please tell.

Also, if anyone has a Tamron MC4 they feel is surplus to requirements, then please read my post in the Wanted section of the Marketplace forum.... (that didn't breach etiquette here, I hope - I didn't really ask if anyone had one for sale... )
04-18-2008, 01:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Why has to be the Tamron 1.4x TC? How about the Pentax SMC F 1.7x one? I've had both, feel the Pentax one is as good if not better than the Tamron one, but w/ even longer reach

04-18-2008, 02:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Frank. I'm not familiar with the Pentax 1.7x TC - does it work with the AF, and particularly with the new DA* lenses?

If it does, then I'll have a look for one. I can't find that TC on any of the Aussie sites, but I'll try and Google it up and see what I find.

PS (edit) - just done a quick Google search, but it would appear at first glance that the Pentax SMC 1.7x TC doesn't work with the SDM lenses like the new DA* series.

Can anybody shed further light on this?
04-18-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if the Pentax 1.7X works with SDM but one good feature of it is that it converts manual focus lenses to Auto.
The real downer is the price, here on UK Ebay they go for around £200 (approx $400) if you can actually find one.
04-18-2008, 04:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

To me, the question PTX had or has to answer is whether to bring out a new TC with internal AF capability ala the F - AF 1.7 but with SDM contacts added. This would present interesting technical, manufacturing, and marketing challenges. On the other hand it should be fairly simple technically to take existing non-AF designs, update them and add SDM connections and start making them. IF they have chosen this route (I think they will) SDM TCs could be here by year's end............maybe.

04-18-2008, 04:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I got one Tamron 1.4X teleconverter, bought brand new and only used it for 2 days last year.

If you like, let me know.

p.s. All teleconverters degrade images to a degree (terribly enough for me). Again, some people do not see the difference and they are the lucky people
04-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
To me, the question PTX had or has to answer is whether to bring out a new TC with internal AF capability ala the F - AF 1.7 but with SDM contacts added. This would present interesting technical, manufacturing, and marketing challenges. On the other hand it should be fairly simple technically to take existing non-AF designs, update them and add SDM connections and start making them. IF they have chosen this route (I think they will) SDM TCs could be here by year's end............maybe.
My guess is they're trying to figure out a way to multiply the FL reported to the camera, so that SR will work and EXIF will be correct.
04-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Roentarre - email on its way

Thanks

PS - I just checked your website.... WOW!! Great pictures, beautifully-done website, and that's some LBA you have there - you have even more lenses than I do!
04-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I played with mine a little last night under low light concditions, much less than ideal. I will give another go at it today in the daylight to see what I get.
04-18-2008, 05:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm far from an expert, but the addition of of FL multipliiers would seem to be a fairly simple firmware change as long as restricted to the SDM lenses..........for other DAs/FAs I'm not so sure.
04-18-2008, 06:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Budda, In my experience the low-light limitations are just the price we pay for using TCs. At best, as pointed out by Roentarre, output QI is less than that w/o the TC. Fewer 'keeper shots', but I still use them............
04-18-2008, 06:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC Pentax F 1.7 X AF Adapter Converter on eBay, also Leica, 35mm Rangefinder, Film Cameras, Cameras Photo (end time 21-Apr-08 12:23:47 BST)

There you go, quite a reasonable price at the moment
04-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Nah, we should all be patient, and wait for the SDM TC. Then all of these TCs would drop in price, and you can pick and choose.