Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #1

Ebay mistake?

So I bid on a K1000 with the orginal 50mm F2.0 lens, and I won! I didn't see an "A" on the aperature ring. I looked thru the pentax lens reviews and found that this lens does not have the "A" setting. Does that mean I won' t be able to use my K10D's internal metering? will I need to buy a light meter? I hope not. I was so excited about my cool deal. I got it for 62.00 USD! Help me!

I guess worst case senario is that I have the orginal SLR I learned on as a collectable.

04-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

you're right, doesn't automatically meter on a K10D
only A, F__ or D__ lenses automatically meter

but you can still use the lens by using the camera in manual mode, select your aperture, press the green button and the camera will meter. take a bit longer and sometimes is not as accurate.

make sure to enable the aperure ring and focus indicator in the menus
04-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

your aperture won't show up in the viewfinder. But! if you have your camera set to depth of field preview, enabling that preview, your aperture will show up....and I believe the meter will show as well.
04-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
Perhapse I will be selling it then...

04-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
So I bid on a K1000 with the orginal 50mm F2.0 lens, and I won! I didn't see an "A" on the aperature ring. I looked thru the pentax lens reviews and found that this lens does not have the "A" setting. Does that mean I won' t be able to use my K10D's internal metering? will I need to buy a light meter? I hope not. I was so excited about my cool deal. I got it for 62.00 USD! Help me!

I guess worst case senario is that I have the orginal SLR I learned on as a collectable.
First a link:

Features and Operation of the Original K-Mount

This lens has a coupling that the K10D will use to stop down the lens to the selected aperture on the aperture ring when the shutter is released -- but you need to set the K10D custom menu item to "allow aperture ring" first.

However, the K10D lacks the coupling that tells the camera what aperture the lens is set to.

So, you can put the camera in AV mode, and it will meter perfectly with the lens wide open, however, it will underexpose when you use smaller apertures.

Or, you can put the camera in M mode. In this mode, when you hit the "green button" the K10D will stop the lens down, to the selected aperture, and take an accurate meter reading. And you're ready to release the shutter. Ideally, between each shot, you need to hit the green button before opening the shutter so the camera takes an accurate meter reading.

Does the above make sense?
04-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Just try it out first! You may like it. K and M series lenses are much easier to use than M42 lenses at least.

Or you may hate it, but there's no point in drawing any conclusions before you mount it and try it out.
04-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I use M's all the time and love them. They may lack the 'A', but they make up for it in IQ.

Stop-down metering is easy once you get the hang of it.

04-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Noooo!

Give it a try first! You may find you like it!

My 50mm is a M50 f1.7 and it's full manual just like your 2.0 and metering just adds one quick step. You'll see it's not that bad. I liked it enough that I bought 2 more full manual lenses to play with after

Pat
04-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Just try it out first! You may like it. K and M series lenses are much easier to use than M42 lenses at least.

Or you may hate it, but there's no point in drawing any conclusions before you mount it and try it out.
Actually, the M42's are easier to use than K or M lenses because they can be used in Av mode at all apertures. The camera automatically changes the shutter speed as you turn the aperture ring. The only thing you really have to do is adjust your EV comp (usually to +2) to prvent underexposure.
04-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Actually, the M42's are easier to use than K or M lenses because they can be used in Av mode at all apertures. The camera automatically changes the shutter speed as you turn the aperture ring. The only thing you really have to do is adjust your EV comp (usually to +2) to prvent underexposure.
But you can drill a second locking hole on the k and m series, and you'll have Av too - just like M42's. That will be my first lens surgery
Of course you can leave the lens not locked and still use it, you just have to be carefull not to drop the lens.
04-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zorobabel Quote
But you can drill a second locking hole on the k and m series, and you'll have Av too - just like M42's. That will be my first lens surgery
Of course you can leave the lens not locked and still use it, you just have to be carefull not to drop the lens.
Do you have a reference on how to do this surgery?

Steve
04-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
First a link:

Features and Operation of the Original K-Mount

This lens has a coupling that the K10D will use to stop down the lens to the selected aperture on the aperture ring when the shutter is released -- but you need to set the K10D custom menu item to "allow aperture ring" first.

However, the K10D lacks the coupling that tells the camera what aperture the lens is set to.

So, you can put the camera in AV mode, and it will meter perfectly with the lens wide open, however, it will underexpose when you use smaller apertures.

Or, you can put the camera in M mode. In this mode, when you hit the "green button" the K10D will stop the lens down, to the selected aperture, and take an accurate meter reading. And you're ready to release the shutter. Ideally, between each shot, you need to hit the green button before opening the shutter so the camera takes an accurate meter reading.

Does the above make sense?

Not exactly but I will wait until I get the lens.
04-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I'll post it this evening.
04-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
One thing to point out: with the surgery you'll have Av, but then you'll find focusing difficult at narrower apertures as the viewfinder is so dim. I'd much rather have the semi-automatic green button metering of the K and M lenses. Really, green button metering is no problem at all.
04-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Even though they have their limitations, M lenses aren't that bad to use, overall. At least you don't have to worry about using a special converter to use them.

If you don't want to keep the K1000, you could sell it and get back most of the money that you paid for both the camera and lens and essentially wind up with a real cheap lens.

HTH,
Heather