Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
You should have stopped there...but you didn't. That's what I was commenting on. Sorry...but this kind of "measure-bating" drives me crazy. Everyone can read about lenses. The OP was wanting to know what people who have used both have found. You have used one of them and you are very right to share your experiences. Stick to what you know.
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I don't have those lenses, so I can't comment on their quality vs each other, but if I were you, I'd ask myself if I intended to upgrade to a FF camera when/if Pentax comes out with one. If you think that's a possibility, it might be worth it to hang onto the 20-35 for a while longer.
Yes, OP was asking about two specific lenses. I thought it was relevant to mention another alternative. Likewise, you thought it was relevant to comment on the possibility of upgrading to FF when the OP never mentioned anything about FF and you haven't ever used those two lenses. Both our posts were slightly off topic but I think they were relevant. Don't be hypocritical. Either way, let the OP decide for himself what is relevant to his decision. You don't have to be the forum police.

If you think my statements are wrong or misguided, you can provide evidence (like northcoastgreg) that adds to the discussion, as opposed to just tossing out an insult at me.

I won't be continuing this argument as the thread has derailed enough. Sorry OP.

Last edited by ironlionzion; 03-13-2014 at 10:44 AM.
03-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I commented because you were offering a judgement on a lens which you don't have and have never used. I'm sorry you were offended, but reading is not the same as using.
03-14-2014, 05:43 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

I wish we wouldn't police each other unnecessarily. This is a discussion forum, not a court of law. Often people stray off the point, or fail to see the EXACT requirements of the thread, but surely that's part of the fun? It's easy to ignore posts that are not relevant, it's far harder to ignore snippy "did, didn't" bickering.
03-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
I appreciate your comments. I've always enjoyed reading your blog/posts. Like I said above, my statement "blows it out of the water" was an exaggeration looking back on it. I focused too much on the fact that the DA is $200 more expensive and more than 2-3 stops slower. I do look extensively at reviews online before purchasing lenses, as I don't have an infinite amount of cash to buy every lens and try them out. But I don't always focus on reviews with test charts and resolution. I actually just picked up the 15mm ltd after reading your review, northcoastgreg, as well as browsing through the pictures and reviews by other forum members.
Thanks for the nice comments, ironlionzion. The DA 20-40 has been unfairly maligned for its variable aperture and its high price, so some of us are a bit sensitive to criticism of the lens. That probably explains why your comment incited such an intense reaction (perhaps over-reaction?) in this thread.