Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Macro (DFA 100 WR) with new 1.4x TC?

I'm intrigued with the new Pentax 1.4x TC. I've read some great reviews on how it works with the DA* 300 and DA* 60-250 of which I own both. That alone gives me the push to pull the trigger, but I've also read that the new TC works great with the DFA 100 2.8 WR Macro lens. With that a question comes to mind -

Will putting the TC behind this lens change the minimum focusing distance (MFD)? I'm a bit challenged with trying to figure this out - all I know at this point is that the TC will raise the magnification (?) to about 140mm. That would be great if the MFD would stay the same.

Can someone help with how this TC will work with this lens?

03-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless the TC has a built in additional (adjustable) extension tube as in the vivtar macro 2x TC, it does not. If it did have a fixed tube you would lose the infinity focus. So the focus distance is the same and the magnification is increased by the power of the TC.
03-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks dms! This really is giving me a push for the new TC. To have a 140mm f3.5 AF WR Macro lens with an MFD of 30cm would sure be sweet!
03-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Can someone help with how this TC will work with this lens?
This isn't an answer to your question, but it is intriguing (to me).

The D-FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro has a finish that appears to differ from all other Pentax lenses. It looks "top-end", with extensive milling for grasping for putting on and taking off the camera. And a red sealing ring against the camera mount.

The 1.4x Teleconverter is an almost perfect match! The milling extends the same way round the lens, and it also has a red sealing ring. It is as though they were designed by the same person, differently from all other lenses. Except for the details of the paint finish, they almost look like a single lens, with the same diameter.

They look so beautiful together it is almost a shame to separate them!

03-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
This isn't an answer to your question, but it is intriguing (to me).

The D-FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro has a finish that appears to differ from all other Pentax lenses. It looks "top-end", with extensive milling for grasping for putting on and taking off the camera. And a red sealing ring against the camera mount.

The 1.4x Teleconverter is an almost perfect match! The milling extends the same way round the lens, and it also has a red sealing ring. It is as though they were designed by the same person, differently from all other lenses. Except for the details of the paint finish, they almost look like a single lens, with the same diameter.

They look so beautiful together it is almost a shame to separate them!
Oh man - that all sounds so nice!

I know the aesthetics don't have anything to do with the image making, but I for one just love the look and feel of what you have explained here.

And yet another push to order this TC........thank you Barry!
12-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm interested in this.

I've got a 100mm DFA WR... very intrigued to know how it might fair with the TC for landscape photos.....
01-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

bumping this!

Still interested to know about the 1.4x AW TC + DFA 100mm combo... if anyone can share anything...

thanks