Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TroutHunterJohn Quote
I'm curious why there isn't more support for the DA 14 2.8. I know it is large, and the IQ reviews are fairly good, yet people seem to really prefer the 15mm limited. Is that because of the smaller size of the 15 or does the 14 have a poor reputation.
I've owned both the DA 15 Ltd and the DA 14, and I'd say that if you want to do close focus photos with a bit of interesting bokeh, it's a very good lens for that. If you're buying it for landscapes, there's quite a bit of field curvature that makes those particular shots a bit uneven in terms of resolution. The DA 15 Ltd is very good for landscape shooting and lacks the field curvature. The DA 15 is also legendary in terms of starbursts and flare resistance. It's remarkable even if you don't consider its size.

03-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I'm curious why there isn't more support for the DA 14 2.8. I know it is large, and the IQ reviews are fairly good, yet people seem to really prefer the 15mm limited. Is that because of the smaller size of the 15 or does the 14 have a poor reputation.
The DA 14 has a bit of a controversial reputation. There have been complaints about edge to edge sharpness, even when stopped down, especially when compared with less expensive alternatives (like the Samyang 14 f2.8). Preference for the DA 15 arises not merely over the smaller size, but also over the fact that many photographers don't need f2.8 in a 15mm lens, and the wider aperture of the DA 15 means less glass in the lens and better flare control. For landscape shooting, that can be quite important. The DA 15 consistently delivers contrasty, richly colored images with a wonderful clarity, regardless of light conditions.

As for the WA zooms, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Sigma 8-16 or Pentax DA 12-24. The Sigma lets you go wider, but, at least from what I've seen from both lenses, the Pentax produces aesthetically more pleasing images.
03-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter

What can you tell me about the 12-24 in terms of quality and added width, beyond what you get with the 16-50?
12-24 is an excellent lens, the only issue is it tends to flare quite badly if you are not careful. But it delivers consistently excellent images. There are wider lenses (10-20 and 8-16) that are also well respected. As difference from 16-50, remember that at the long end a few millimeters makes little difference but at the wide end it can make a huge difference.

yet people seem to really prefer the 15mm limited. Is that because of the smaller size of the 15 or does the 14 have a poor reputation.
DA 14 generally has a good reputation but DA 15 has pixie dust. You just can't compete with pixie dust

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The DA-L 55-300 is driving me nuts. The lack of quick shift is giving me blisters on my focusing hand. It's an OK lens, for sure, but the DA* 60-250 ...
Used the DA-L 55-300 for several years before getting the 60-250. All I can say is: get the 60-250. Sell your car if you have to................
03-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Simply put, I don't like the images from the DA14 as much. The DA15 has outstanding rendering and color - color that's second only to the FA43, by a small margin.

03-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

The Sigma 8-16 is no longer offered officially for the Pentax K-mount.
There may be one or two left in the shops,
but if you were unlucky enough to get a decentered copy,
it might be hard to get it replaced.

For myself, I'm quite content with the DA 15.
03-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter

The Lady or the Tiger? Difficult choice. My Lady is the HD15mm Ltd. The other lenses discussed are the "Tiger." Does not mean they are meaner or more ruthless. Just different. To my mind, I would never give up the 15mm Ltd. This is the lens that "Controls my Mind" at the short end.
Don't believe any other lens will match it for wide angle.