Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Sigma 50-150 HSM II - Not 5iis compatible?

Howdy all,

I was on lens hero and they are saying the Sigma 50-150 2.8 (the discontinued one) the HSM is not compatible on the K-5iis. this seems odd to me as it works on the K-5.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks

03-13-2014, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know, but I would be really surprised if that were true. I don't how it could be true, actually. I mean how can one lens not work and all others work? Makes no sense.
03-13-2014, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I'd have to see it to believe it.

I personally prefer the DA*50-135 anyway (and I use it on my K-5 IIs, of course), but I don't know why the Sigma wouldn't work.
03-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I'd have to see it to believe it.

I personally prefer the DA*50-135 anyway (and I use it on my K-5 IIs, of course), but I don't know why the Sigma wouldn't work.
I want a bit more reach. And the extra 15 may be worth it. I also hear this lens is really sharp. Better than Tamron 70-200 and cheaper than the 50-135. Which was going to be my #1, but then I discovered the Sigma 50-150. Now Id have covered for concerts 17-50, then 50-150. No need for more than that, and if I do Ill grab a teleconverter.

03-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I read somewhere, probably that other site that refuses to link to here, that Sigma doesn't license the lens protocol from the camera manufacturers but instead reverse-engineers it, which sometimes leads to incompatibilities when the manufacturer releases new models with slight changes to the protocol, requiring updates to the lenses' firmware.
03-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/130-lens-sample-photo-archive/196246-sigm...ml#post2287586

This user used his 50-150 with his k-5II. Perhaps you can ask him for more info.
Given that the k-5II and k-5IIs are equivalent, with the exception of the AA filter, if it works on the k-5II it should work on the IIs.
03-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Another possible explanation is that the Sigma 50-150 will not focus in live view on Pentax cameras without a lens firmware update.

So if this was said on "Lens Hero", why not ask for details where you saw it?
03-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've had a 50-150 before and I'm pretty sure I had my 5II-s before I sold it. If so, then there was no compatibility issue because I would remember it.

03-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Another possible explanation is that the Sigma 50-150 will not focus in live view on Pentax cameras without a lens firmware update.

So if this was said on "Lens Hero", why not ask for details where you saw it?
Person who has the lens says they sent for firmware update to Sigma in Arizona. So I am guessing that would be sovled as I read other had same issues solved in past this way.

---------- Post added 03-13-14 at 12:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I've had a 50-150 before and I'm pretty sure I had my 5II-s before I sold it. If so, then there was no compatibility issue because I would remember it.
Why did you sell it? Curious...

debating between coughing up extra $ for 50-135 or buying a refurb offline
03-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rzarector Quote
Why did you sell it? Curious...

debating between coughing up extra $ for 50-135 or buying a refurb offline
Well, my reasons for buying it in the first place did turn out to be valid, i.e. faster focusing and no SDM worries as compared to the 50-135. In the end, though, the photos I was capturing just didn't have the same IQ as the 50-135. They were by no means bad, they just didn't have that "certain something" that the 50-135 shots had. The 50-150 would be the way to go for journalistic, sports or documentary-style shooting, but if you're more concerned with the beauty of an image then the 50-135 just can't be beat. Yes, the slower AF will cost you some shots, but odds are you'll be more proud of the ones that you DO get. This realization, along with the acceptance that if the SDM goes out, I'll just get it fixed because the lens is absolutely worth it, sealed the 50-150's fate. I actually kinda wish the SDM would go out as some say they're a little faster after the new fix. I've had mine for years with never a hint of trouble, and mine does sometimes sit dormant for months at a time, the time that they supposedly begin to act up.
03-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I use my K-5 ii w/ this lens all he time & I've never had a problem with it.
03-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, my reasons for buying it in the first place did turn out to be valid, i.e. faster focusing and no SDM worries as compared to the 50-135. In the end, though, the photos I was capturing just didn't have the same IQ as the 50-135. They were by no means bad, they just didn't have that "certain something" that the 50-135 shots had. The 50-150 would be the way to go for journalistic, sports or documentary-style shooting, but if you're more concerned with the beauty of an image then the 50-135 just can't be beat. Yes, the slower AF will cost you some shots, but odds are you'll be more proud of the ones that you DO get. This realization, along with the acceptance that if the SDM goes out, I'll just get it fixed because the lens is absolutely worth it, sealed the 50-150's fate. I actually kinda wish the SDM would go out as some say they're a little faster after the new fix. I've had mine for years with never a hint of trouble, and mine does sometimes sit dormant for months at a time, the time that they supposedly begin to act up.
Interesting. I do agree the few times I have rented the 50-135 the images that were sharp were stunning. But fear the SDM failure and Fear buying a bad used one. Also the extra 15 seemed to be a plus for this lens. I got a guy in a forum offering to sell me the 50-150 at 720. But now I am thinking of the adorama 50-135 used in EX+ for 899. ugggh decisions decisions.

Only shooting concerts. so low light performance and AF quickness is a must.
Attached Images

03-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Howdy all,

I was on lens hero and they are saying the Sigma 50-150 2.8 (the discontinued one) the HSM is not compatible on the K-5iis. this seems odd to me as it works on the K-5.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I have the Pentax k 5 II S and the Sigma 50 to 150 HSM and it works fine.
03-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Having owned both I am in total agreement here.
03-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Same experience with mine, and same reasons for not getting the Sigma 50-150.

The DA*50-135 isn't the lens for most sports, but it's great for most everything else. The AF is fast enough for a parade, but not for a running race. However, if it's raining hard I can get a few sports shots out of it anyway.

---------- Post added 03-13-14 at 12:56 PM ----------

Interesting. I do agree the few times I have rented the 50-135 the images that were sharp were stunning. But fear the SDM failure and Fear buying a bad used one.
(I'm not saying you couldn't have problems, but) I think fear is the key word here (notice how you even capitalized it once).

---------- Post added 03-13-14 at 01:17 PM ----------

Interesting. I do agree the few times I have rented the 50-135 the images that were sharp were stunning. But fear the SDM failure and Fear buying a bad used one. Also the extra 15 seemed to be a plus for this lens. I got a guy in a forum offering to sell me the 50-150 at 720. But now I am thinking of the adorama 50-135 used in EX+ for 899. ugggh decisions decisions.

Only shooting concerts. so low light performance and AF quickness is a must.
For ultimate low light stage performances you need an FA77 or FA*85. But if you require a zoom the DA*50-135 yields results nearly as good when f/2.8-3.5 is enough. As I said, it can maintain focus on someone walking, but not running. So it should keep up with most musician's movements. And the K-5 IIs is one of the top performers in low-light AF, so it should handle that part.

Last edited by DSims; 03-13-2014 at 01:18 PM.