Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA40-Ltd accessories and Ricoh customer service

I bought a DA40-Ltd dirt-cheap on the bay. It didn't have all its goodies, so I went in search of a hood, cap, and bag.
I was ultimately able to locate everything but the little leatherette bag. Nobody has the bag. I called Pentax.
I pressed 2 and was instantly connected to a very nice guy. He ran down all of the options for what was supposed to come with the lens, what other products will work with the lens and hood, what WON'T work with the lens and hood, and said that Pentax doesn't have any of the little bags available anywhere in the western hemisphere. Then he found a hand-full in a warehouse in the Philippines and began making arrangements for me to be able to purchase one through the Ricoh web portal because heretofore Ricoh has never made the bag available for purchase in the Americas. Ultimately, I declined to have Ricoh move heaven and earth to get me a little vinyl bag with their name on it, but for a moment, the guy sincerely seemed like Ricoh might actually do it.

What did I find out? The lens hood for the DA40-Ltd is part # MH-RE49. The threads on the inside of the hood are 30.5mm. Pentax doesn't make a 30.5mm cap to screw into it. Any cap that will screw into a 49mm thread will work. Ricoh part # 31493 is the one I ordered. The part # for the bag is 33944, but God be with you on that quest. I opted for an OP/TECH 251.

If you like filters as much as I do, B&H currently has the Hoya 30.5mm Introductory Filter Kit for $5.95. That's three filters for six bucks American. UV filter, Warming filter, and Circular Polarizer. These all come in a nice nylon fold-over wallet that will dump its contents on the ground if you don't open it correctly. So, essentially, $5 for a circular polarizer that fits on the hood of the DA40 Ltd. If you think screwing a circular polarizer into the hood is a ridiculous notion, you can put any 49mm filter on the lens and then put the hood on over it. Please report back as to whether vignetting occurs.

EDIT=================
I forgot to mention: When we were all done on the phone and he asked if there was anything else he could help with, I said I could use something in the 9mm range. He said "Not yet".

Last edited by AquaDome; 03-13-2014 at 01:44 PM.
03-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I understand this is the same bag. Pentax Soft Lens Pouch for the Pentax Wide Angle SMCP-DA 37747

Looked for one in the UK and that's what I've been told.
03-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Ha ha! By golly I think that's the real deal! I suppose I didn't find it because I was searching the other part number. Also, the description mentions the DA21, but doesn't actually have "Limited" anywhere referring to it. Our guy at the home office also scoured B&H looking for goodies as we conversed. This treasure escaped both our eyes.
Too bad I already placed my daily order with B&H. Gotta limit my shipping charges you know...