Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
PK-A* vs FA* 200mm f2.8??

Greetings.

Anyone have experience with both these lenses? Are the coatings, optics and IQ comparable? The FA seems to be going for about $300 more than the A - I'm not concerned with A/F, so is the price difference worth it? I'm not really considering the DA because I'd like the option to use it with film, although I'd consider one at a bargain price. Also not really wanting the chunky size increase to go to one of the 80-200mm zooms, although again I'd consider a bargain Tokina ATX828 (for the aperture ring). Thoughts anyone?

03-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NeilO Quote
Greetings.

Anyone have experience with both these lenses? Are the coatings, optics and IQ comparable? The FA seems to be going for about $300 more than the A - I'm not concerned with A/F, so is the price difference worth it? I'm not really considering the DA because I'd like the option to use it with film, although I'd consider one at a bargain price. Also not really wanting the chunky size increase to go to one of the 80-200mm zooms, although again I'd consider a bargain Tokina ATX828 (for the aperture ring). Thoughts anyone?
The FA version seems to product a lot more fringing than the A version. I would actually recommend the A version unless you care for AF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
Cheers Adam, I'm quite happy to save a few bucks if the quality is the same, or better. Bonus! The next problem is that there's not many of them around for sensible money!

Thanks, Neil.
03-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Do take a look at the PPG; it may help you decide: PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

I have the K200/2.5; I also had the DA*200 for about 2 weeks. The DA*200 has the same optical formula as the FA*200.

The reason I sold the DA*200 was not because of the optical quality, but because the AF was too slow for shooting sports. I also like the optical quality of the K200/2.5 a little better. If I didn't have the F*300 I'd need a 200mm lens with AF, but as it is I can use the F*300 and FA135 when I need AF, and K200/2.5 when I want its beautiful rendering. It does especially well in warm light, although it's good at other times too.

So, a few points:

The *300 lenses (F, FA, and DA) have a little more outstanding optical quality than the * 200mm lenses, so if that length's an option, consider it. I find I'm usually OK with having only one or the other with me (200 or 300).

The DA*60-250/4 actually can work on a FF camera if necessary, so I wouldn't eliminate it solely on that basis. But it doesn't quite have the IQ of the * 200 or 300 lenses, IMO. And it's slower as well, at f/4 - maybe even needing to be further stopped down at times. So a * 200 will usually give better results. I tried a DA*60-250, and specifically decided not to purchase one.

If it's 200mm you're stuck on, then for me it's only a matter of whether you need AF. My 2 favorites here are the FA*200 and K200/2.5.

Last edited by DSims; 03-14-2014 at 10:55 PM.
03-15-2014, 01:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
Very informative thanks DSims!
Yes, I've spent a fair bit of time perusing various photo sites for comparisons, but it's hard to directly compare differing images when the skills of the photographer and the amount of PP are unknown. Hence this enquiry. :-)
I think on APS-C 200mm is plenty long enough for me: kids sports (indoors and out), mid-distance portraits/candids, and general scenic/urban, and mostly hand-held. I may look at a 300mm f4 down the track for wildlife etc.
I have a few manual aperture K-mounts but I find the extra step of manual metering a bit inconvenient (yes, that green button is such a hassle), especially when on-the-move or for changing conditions and angles, hence the preference for A/FA, and I don't think my ME-Super or K2 would know what to do with a DA!
I'm new to digital and auto-focus, and haven't yet worked out how to communicate with the K-3 auto-focus - we seem to differ in opinion on what should be in focus. The red dot is never where I think it should be, so manual focus suits me fine, and is usually quicker.
Thanks for your input. :-)
03-15-2014, 04:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilO Quote
Very informative thanks DSims!
Yes, I've spent a fair bit of time perusing various photo sites for comparisons, but it's hard to directly compare differing images when the skills of the photographer and the amount of PP are unknown. Hence this enquiry. :-)
I think on APS-C 200mm is plenty long enough for me: kids sports (indoors and out), mid-distance portraits/candids, and general scenic/urban, and mostly hand-held. I may look at a 300mm f4 down the track for wildlife etc.
I have a few manual aperture K-mounts but I find the extra step of manual metering a bit inconvenient (yes, that green button is such a hassle), especially when on-the-move or for changing conditions and angles, hence the preference for A/FA, and I don't think my ME-Super or K2 would know what to do with a DA!
I'm new to digital and auto-focus, and haven't yet worked out how to communicate with the K-3 auto-focus - we seem to differ in opinion on what should be in focus. The red dot is never where I think it should be, so manual focus suits me fine, and is usually quicker.
Thanks for your input. :-)
In this case you need to go for the FA*200 (I didn't realize you had a K-3 and would be shooting some action/motion). The K-3 excels in AF with screw-drive lenses. I really think you need to learn to work with the AF for some of these situations - such as kids sports.

You'll have to practice with it, but in short:

1) Don't let the camera select the AF point - that's your job. I chose one of the non-center AF points which will put my subject in the desired part of the frame.

2) Use AF-C if the subject's in motion. Hold the shutter half-way down (or press the AF button) while keeping the focus point on your subject and following him.

I think you should choose from among these lenses which AF well: F or FA135; FA*200; F, FA, or DA*300 (AF is much faster on DA*300 than DA*200, for some reason).
03-15-2014, 05:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah, I've been playing around with the focus settings, but still finding manual focus techniques more intuitive. No doubt in time I'll get used to auto-focus. I do use it most of the time, but, in a new (old) lens, I'm not sure it's worth $300 more than a manual.