Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #1

Dilema - where to go next

Hi there, I'd like to hear some suggestions where to go next. My setup is K-30 and Voigtlander 20mm and 90mm. I love both but neither is AF and fast, which is kind of pain at indoor photography of kids. I'm considering three totally different options:
1) another prime, probably 35/2,4 (not that fast) or 50/1.8 (too long?)
2) automatic flash with, something like Metz 44
3) all-around zoom Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 - price tag of both options listed above, but I guess it would stick to my camera as everyday lens, optionally sell one of my Voigtlanders to cover it

I'm really into one option today, but second other day. I don't want another prime as swaping between two is enough (any my camera bag is not large enough for third lens), but on the other hand I don't want zoom as I'm used to shot with primes. As for flash - I'm not using build in at all as my photos shot with flash are disaster..

What would you do in my position? Thanks for any input and nice day to all of you

03-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmmm... what about a 24-70 zoom from sigma / tamron (is the tamron available in Pentax?...or 28-75 from Tamron?) That would cover everything in-between your primes.

Just to throw some more indecision in there for you!
03-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan_M Quote
What would you do in my position?
Nothing.
03-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One More Lens?

Hello Ivan_M, welcome to the Forum!
For your situation, I'd keep the Voightlanders and get a DA 35mm f/2.4AL. First off, you say it's not fast, but it's 1/2 stop faster than the f/2.8 zoom.
Second, it's got fast A/F, good low-light capability and is a perfect length for tracking kids indoors or out.
With that out of the way, let's look at flash; Most flashes won't cover a 20mm lens (not wide-enough flash coverage) so those shots will be overly bright in the center, darker at the edges and uneven all over. Scratch that.
The 90mm will be better, but the subject will be too far away for the built-in flash and I'm pretty sure the camera won't be reading the info properly on an all-manual lens.
The 35mm solves both of these problems. Not too close, not too far. All auto functions, so everything works better. Once you get a couple (manual, if necessary) settings for 'portrait' and 'group' flash coverage, it's up to you and your ISO setting, simple as that.
Still, the built-in flash will get you just so far, and no farther. A hot-shoe flash is the answer.
An old AF280T works fine; A couple of manual settings, some semi-auto settings, tilt and swivel, for about $50 USD.
An AF360 ftz would be good too, built-in diffuser and bounce card, tilt but no swivel on the older version, the new one has swivel added.
A Youngno (spelling?) is full manual, with many power settings.
But you can hold off on the flash for now. Get a prime, good-quality A/F lens that's in-between the 20-90mm (not too difficult!) and try it!
JMO,
Ron

03-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like you need a zoom and another prime between your current 2 lenses. I would add the 17-70 to your kit first, then the 35 as it's most likely going to be more versatile.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I would agree on a zoom and a 30ish prime. I prefer a 50 myself, but a 30 would be better for around the house. Try to see if you can fit a constant 2.8 zoom into your budget either from Tamron or Sigma, or the DA*16-50 if you got the coin for one. For a 30 prime a used Sigma 30mm f1.4 (non ART) is a great deal, even if you can find a new one they are pretty good for the money. Of course the 31mm FA Limited would be the king...but it's expensive.

A FA 50mm f1.4 is a lens everyone should own as well in my opinion. A nice fast, short telephoto on our cameras with quick auto focus.
03-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks guys for input. You are right with the range of flash, I didn't noticed that, I'm abandoning that idea for now. I have considered FA 50 1,7 and 1,4 as well but I think DA 50 1.8 would be better choice in 50mm range. I think I will start with 35/2.4, it is cheap and I will see how I get used to it, I can sell it anytime.
03-16-2014, 03:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Fa35 F2?

Available new st Adorama and my favourite lens.

If flash does return on your list I recommend a Godox Ving 850. Superfast recycle time. And potential for remote manual power settings, ie, like Pocket Wizards.

03-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Since you have kids, get a zoom. It's a handy tool to have. Keep your Voigtlander glass. The Sigma 17-70 you are considering is a very good one.
03-17-2014, 02:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Flash with tilt and swivel head (so you can bounce off the ceiling or walls) and a zoom somewhere in the 16 - 70 range. Metz 44 or 48, Sigma 17-70 is a good budget choice. Flash is more useful than fast glass, with moving kids you need to stop down a bit to hide small focus errors.
03-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan_M Quote
Thanks guys for input. You are right with the range of flash, I didn't noticed that, I'm abandoning that idea for now. I have considered FA 50 1,7 and 1,4 as well but I think DA 50 1.8 would be better choice in 50mm range. I think I will start with 35/2.4, it is cheap and I will see how I get used to it, I can sell it anytime.
I bought the DA 35 2.4 mostly for chasing my kids and haven't been disappointed at all. It's great even at f/2.4, excellent by f/2.8 and if I'm outdoors in the sun the built-in flash works great as a fill in. For indoors at night or if the light is low I use my AF280T or my Zeikos flash bounced off the ceiling. I find it works great. No need for zooms in my case.