Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Wide angle opinions

Howdy!

I'm looking for opinions on Pentax, or maybe even Zeiss, WA lenses. I mostly use a K10d but also have a ZX5n and I'll probably have a K1000 or MX soon, so I would prefer not to have a DA model. I've got no problems with M, K, A, FA stuff.

I'm looking for something around 20 - 28mm. I would like to have something with minimal distortion since I like to shoot architecture in addition to landscape stuff.

Ideas?

Thx

04-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmonroe6 Quote
Howdy!

I'm looking for opinions on Pentax, or maybe even Zeiss, WA lenses. I mostly use a K10d but also have a ZX5n and I'll probably have a K1000 or MX soon, so I would prefer not to have a DA model. I've got no problems with M, K, A, FA stuff.

I'm looking for something around 20 - 28mm. I would like to have something with minimal distortion since I like to shoot architecture in addition to landscape stuff.

Ideas?

Thx
why not go for something really WIDE sigma make a full frame 12-24 zoom.

12 mm on film is really something
04-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have yet to see a lens come within a stones throw of the flat, sharp image the FA31 puts out, on APS-C anyways. I've had or tried various lenses from 10 to 35mm from Takumar, Sigma, Pentax and Zeiss now for the purpose of photographing interiors and buildings and each time I invested, I hoped it would surpass the FA31 in this role (the FA31 was my first lens) None ever have. 31mm is not really 'wide' per say on the digital body, but its about as wide as I've gotten with noted lack of distortion, vignette, etc. This makes splicing a breeze, which gives a lot of options for high detail if thats your thing.

I will add the disclaimer that I've recently had a bad copy of the Zeiss T*25/2.8 that may or may not be as sharp, mine wouldn't infinity focus properly to know for sure. Its currently being serviced. I can tell you though that the vignette it produced was more noteable than the 31, and the closer you get to your subject, an increase in distortion (for better or worse, depending on need).
04-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There's an FA20 in the forum being sold right now. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographer-s-marketplace/25459-fs-penta...35-f2-8-a.html

If you're on a budget, consider a 28mm 3.5, considered to be really great wide angle lens, not sure about the distortion, i can try a brick wall test if you're interested; i have one but haven't tested it. There are also the sigma 2Xmm lenses, with varying quality.

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
31mm is not really 'wide' per say on the digital body, but its about as wide as I've gotten with noted lack of distortion, vignette, etc. This makes splicing a breeze, which gives a lot of options for high detail if thats your thing.
not sure if there's a pentax mount lens that will will satisfy your requirements, if that's really your main goal, the Nikon 14-24 2.8 seems like quite the beast

Last edited by k100d; 04-18-2008 at 05:35 PM.
04-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Usually 28mm to 35mm is the breaking point in distortion control for primes. That's why back in the day, there are many people who like the 35mm FL. You get a nice FOV with no noticeable distortion.

One nice thing about the Nikon zoom is its even distribution in center and corner performance. But that beast is just so damn expensive. I have to say Nikon beats its competition with that zoom. None can touch.

To be honest, if you can find the old Pentax 18/3.5, that would be the one for you. It's expensive and rare, but the performance is highly praised by many Pentax users.
04-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was going to suggest FA20-35/4 but then I just remembered at 20mm, the barrel distortion is pretty evident if you are shooting architecture (I know because I used it and found out when I was doing a shoot for my bro's real estate photos). That said, it does have less barrel distortion than FA20 (see photozone.de for reviews).

I have got DA14/2.8 and it has less distortion than FA20 and FA20-35 bit it is a DA.

Maybe you should look into the 28mm tilt-and-shift lens from Pentax?
04-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Here is the link to the K28/3.5 Shift lens:
K 28/3.5 Shift
04-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

jr-worldwi.de: Photography: Technic

this comparison might interest you as well

04-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
To be honest, if you can find the old Pentax 18/3.5, that would be the one for you. It's expensive and rare, but the performance is highly praised by many Pentax users.
There is one for sale on Keh's website for $645. It has been there teasing me for ten days. Please someone buys it quickly, so my bank account will not suffer another blow.

Cheers!

Abbazz
04-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
There is one for sale on Keh's website for $645. It has been there teasing me for ten days. Please someone buys it quickly, so my bank account will not suffer another blow.

Cheers!

Abbazz
but it's in Bargain condition
04-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
but it's in Bargain condition
I'd rather buy a lens in "bargain" condition from Keh than one offered as "mint" on eBay. A bargain condition lens will deliver the same results as a new one, only it will have some marks and scuffs on the barrel, which shouldn't matter if you are not a collector.

Cheers!

Abbazz
04-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
Maybe you should look into the 28mm tilt-and-shift lens from Pentax?
There is no Tilt function in that lens, and at the current price, I would get a 31LTD instead. Do a quick stitch.
04-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
kjao, sometimes when reading your posts I have to look to make sure it's you who wrote them and not me- I also have the DA 14 and FA 20-35 and also do real estate for my brother. Makes for a lot of confusion at 3:00 AM

While the 20-35 does have distortion, on digital it's better than the kit lens. I'll have to go back and look to see how well it does on film at 20mm. Definitely gives a wide field of view, but there is a little fall off wide open if I remember correctly.

Just remembered the FAJ 18-35. Not sure about the performance, but it is full-frame. I think KEH has one up for sale right now-- wait, it's in their 'In Transit' inventory.