Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Suspected aperture lever misalignment on A-lens - easy fix?

I'm finding that my DA 40mm f/2.8 XS applies the exact same aperture at f/2.8 and f/3.2 in manual mode on both K-x and K-01. This leads me to suspect that the lens is already wide open at f/3.2 due to a misalignment of the aperture lever. Is this easy to fix or would you discourage me from attempting this myself?

03-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had a couple of lenses whose aperture levers have been bent out of alignment. The symptoms were clear cut: the lens was not stopping down effectively with change in f-stop with the aperture ring. Easily fixed by judicious bending back into place.

in your case, I advise careful diagnosis before assuming an aperture lever problem. Check whether the exposure seems to be changing correctly with change of f stop in M mode.
03-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suggest you push the lever in or out slightly--depending on which you you think it needs to go. If not one way then try the other--which is what I did on my 50mm (M) f1.7. It may not take much pressure to fix. FWIW I suggested it to another via this forum and he/she reported it worked.
03-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some levers are part of one larger assembly, stamped and bent. Some are attached by a couple of screws. The second kind are easier to adjust, usually the screw holes are designed to allow that adjustment. I would be reluctant to start bending a lever without some idea of how much to move it and what the rest of the assembly looks like. Maybe wrap some tape around it to make it thicker, see if that helps, then measure the tape thickness with a caliper.