Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
I agree, Parry,
they should be....but in reality there are some 'lemons' apparently ....however those do not represent the full potential of this lens design since they are flawed
AT over a thousand I would rather get a Zeiss , bottom line is Parry is correct at a $1000 plus they should all be fantastic. Obviously this is not the case.

03-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
I agree, Parry,
they should be....but in reality there are some 'lemons' apparently ....however those do not represent the full potential of this lens design since they are flawed
Then let's tell fellow Pentaxian's about the risk of this and show the problems rather than defending Pentax poor quality control.

I don't want to tell my friends here "Oh yes, it's pixie dust awesomeness will solve all your life's problems, go ahead and blow a GRAND ON IT!"

No. I want to see this lens updated and QC sorted before I waste other peoples hard earned money.

PENTAX! SORT IT OUT!
03-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My SMC-28 2.8 $30 SPECIAL DOES BETTER. how on Earth do you justify this . Answer you cant.
03-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
My SMC-28 2.8 $30 SPECIAL DOES BETTER. how on Earth do you justify this . Answer you cant.
Exactly. I can't bring myself to BS folks on here about this lens. Serious weaknesses.

03-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
At over £1000 they should all be "good ones".
You really need to get over to lensrentals.com and read up on this. You're just not reflecting reality here.
From the DxO reviews it sounds like the Sigma 35 1.4 might be the latest thing since sliced bread, and i wouldn't be surprised if it kicked the 31's butt, because it kicked every lens's butts including a lot of glass that cost thousands more than it does from Ziess, Nikon Canon etc., it doesn't matter who you're talking about, it's DxOs top rated lens on just about every system...but that still doesn't mean some won't prefer the 31... rendering is more than just sharpness and pixel peeping doesn't always predict which are the most pleasing images. personally, I like a lens I can carry, along with the rest of my camera bag. You can't shoot with it if it's not there because it's too heavy.

QuoteQuote:
But wide open. No, definitely not good.
OK, so the question becomes, why can't you just not use it 5.6? Why does it have to be good wide open? And where are the images taken with your better lenses for comparison? You are talking about characteristics that are evident form the photo zone review and that have been known forever, the part you seem to refuse to discuss would be how good the lens is at ƒ5.6 and ƒ8 which for many of us would make the lens worth buying just on it's own.

You're opinion is that the lens should be good over it's while range. But in my world what you seek is excellence... and if a lens gives you the performance at one F-stop or two, and it's an ƒ-stop that you prefer in it's shooting style, you're better off with that lens than with a lens that is better at every ƒ-top, except the ones you shoot at.

A lens that excels in doing what I want, is better at least for me, than a lens that does everything really well, but doesn't excel in the areas I want it to.

Last edited by normhead; 03-18-2014 at 10:51 AM.
03-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You really need to get over to lensrentals.com and read up on this. You're just not reflecting reality here.
From the DxO reviews it sounds like the Sigma 35 1.4 might be the latest thing since sliced bread, and i wouldn't be surprised if it kicked the 31's butt, because it kicked every lenses butt including a lot of glass that cost thousands more than it does from Ziess, Nikon canon, it doesn't matter who you're talking about, it's DxOs top rated lens on just about every system...but that still doesn't mean some won't prefer the 31... rendering is more than just sharpness and pixel peeping doesn't always predict which are the most pleasing images.
Still not going to defend Pentax on this one Norm. It's our money and it's hard to earn.
03-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Special thx to Parry for opening my EYES

03-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #83
Veteran Member

From the DxO reviews it sounds like the Sigma 35 1.4 might be the latest thing since sliced bread, and i wouldn't be surprised if it kicked the 31's butt, because it kicked every lens's butts including a lot of glass that cost thousands more than it does from Ziess, Nikon Canon etc., it doesn't matter who you're talking about, it's DxOs top rated lens on just about every system...but that still doesn't mean some won't prefer the 31... rendering is more than just sharpness and pixel peeping doesn't always predict which are the most pleasing images. personally, I like a lens I can carry, along with the rest of my camera bag. You can't shoot with it if it's not there because it's too heavy.

OK, so the question becomes, why can't you just not use it 5.6? Why does it have to be good wide open? And where are the images taken with your better lenses for comparison? You are talking about characteristics that are evident form the photo zone review and that have been known forever, the part you seem to refuse to discuss would be how good the lens is at ƒ5.6 and ƒ8 which for many of us would make the lens worth buying just on it's own.

You're opinion is that the lens should be good over it's while range. But in my world what you seek is excellence... and if a lens gives you the performance at one F-stop or two, and it's an ƒ-stop that you prefer in it's shooting style, you're better off with that lens than with a lens that is better at every ƒ-top, except the ones you shoot at.

A lens that excels in doing what I want, is better at least for me, than a lens that does everything really well, but doesn't excel in the areas I want it to.

Norman. When the copy you've ordered arrives in the post and you've tried it out and got used to it . . . do let us know.

Until then . . .
03-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Still not going to defend Pentax on this one Norm. It's our money and it's hard to earn.
And after all the great testimonials I've seen for this lens over the years, and images, including your own, I have no idea what you're talking about. it's not defending Pentax, it's trying to get an accurate picture of a lens some sites, not Pentax sites have called one of the best three of all time. You've done a great job knocking the 31, but I don't see a single image of what ever you've replaced it with, and apparently you still own it. It's your money and you can get it back by selling the lens which still commands a very high price.

As Jack Bower would say.. "something's not right here"
03-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #85
Veteran Member

And after all the great testimonials I've seen for this lens over the years, and images, including your own, I have no idea what you're talking about. it's not defending Pentax, it's trying to get an accurate picture of a lens some sites, not Pentax sites have called one of the best three of all time. You've done a great job knocking the 31, but I don't see a single image of what ever you've replaced it with, and apparently you still own it. It's your money and you can get it back by selling the lens which still commands a very high price.

As Jack Bower would say.. "something's not right here"
It's too expensive for what it is and the QC is dodgy. I'm sick of defending the thing. I won't do it anymore. It's not that great and takes a lot in post to get much out of it.

Yes stopped down it's good, but not much better than other, much cheaper lenses stopped down.

Go and buy one and then you can comment.
03-18-2014, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

It's too expensive for what it is and the QC is dodgy. I'm sick of defending the thing. I won't do it anymore. It's not that great and takes a lot in post to get much out of it.

Yes stopped down it's good, but not much better than other, much cheaper lenses stopped down.

What buying one gives you the right to trash the lens? What a bogus theory. I'm just saying, quite a few great photographers don't share you opinion. So for me, yours is one opinion, and for me I'll take under advisement that I might not like the lens. But there are a lot more opinions out there that are different. And your voice would be a lot more meaningful if you'd actually put your money where your mouth is and sold it and moved on. I'll be the first to agree with you, it's not the lens for everyone, and I'll also agree with others thanking you for warning them that it might not be the lens for them. But you kind of sound like you're addressing what everyone should think, and I know for certain there are a lot of people who own this lens that are a lot happier with it than you are. I'm not willing to give up on the lens, just because you say so, yours isn't the only opinion I value, and I think its a little condescending for you to act like it should be, so sue me.
03-18-2014, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #87
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Owning a piece of equipment is not a requirement for posting on this forum. Members are free to comment as they please.

Everyone is free, that is, until a thread gets closed for having degenerated to product/brand bashing.
03-18-2014, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #88
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Thread reopened at the request of the OP. Hopefully those who have made their position of hating the 31 clear will refrain from repeating it over, and over, and over, and over.
03-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks I have seen enough already, nothing else to say really is there?
03-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #90
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

See my post above.