Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
FA*10-600mm 1.2 Macro Ltd
I see what you did there... :P

03-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I suppose that's around what I was expecting in terms of time/cost, which is just disheartening because I've had it since new and it's rarely ever even left the house. It's always performed this way.
In terms of that most recent shot, definitely not motion blur. I've a series of four from that same angle - she's just sitting there, 1/400sec shutter.

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 08:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
i see what you did there...
caught!
03-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd be VERY disappointed if that were my 31mm. I had the 43mm and I still regret selling it, but I never saw such bad performance from it like that, even wide open.

ISO 1600, shot wide open...

(and we had a dog, so I wanted to represent cats - LOL)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another couple shots, just because I remember thinking this same thing at the time, that the 31 just wasn't rendering detail how I expected. I was working this shot with it original (the first photo) and then switched to the GR for a few (the 2nd shot - this one shown is the first's closest cousin). In the end I went with the shot from the 31 simply for total composition but at the time I remember thinking "why the heck can't I get that fingerprint detail out of it"... It's pretty obvious to see the detail I was looking for in the 2nd shot from the GR. Both were at f/2.8 at 1/25sec, and remember the GR has no image stabilization.

At any rate - I think I'm gonna send in the 31 to Pentax or take it up the street at least to have our local tech look at it (though he charges).

31mm:
Name:  tactile2.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  81.3 KB

GR:
Name:  tactile.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  64.1 KB

03-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another couple shots, just because I remember thinking this same thing at the time, that the 31 just wasn't rendering detail how I expected. I was working this shot with it original (the first photo) and then switched to the GR for a few (the 2nd shot - this one shown is the first's closest cousin). In the end I went with the shot from the 31 simply for total composition but at the time I remember thinking "why the heck can't I get that fingerprint detail out of it"... It's pretty obvious to see the detail I was looking for in the 2nd shot from the GR. Both were at f/2.8 at 1/25sec, and remember the GR has no image stabilization.

At any rate - I think I'm gonna send in the 31 to Pentax or take it up the street at least to have our local tech look at it (though he charges).

31mm:
Attachment 211979

GR:
Attachment 211980
I suppose, you should do that - send it back to retailer. I did quick comparison of my second FA31 vs my second copy of K30/2.8 - a very respected lens. Both wide open (1.8 vs 2.8) the K lens is visibly better than Limited (more contrast, less CA), however when FA31 was stopped down to 2.8 it prevailed slightly - it just produced tiny bit sharper picture.
Here's the link with three raws - very boring and unscientific test - focus is on the car plate in the centre of image ....both lenses focused via live view, but without tripod.
However this test is done clearly to emulate OP's initial test - cars and carplates .....so please dont judge the artistic quality of those photos

Zásilka
03-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
However this test is done clearly to emulate OP's initial test - cars and carplates .....so please dont judge the artistic quality of those photos

Zásilka
Exhilarating subjects to say the least.

I think I'll contact the retailer, but I'm not sure how much good it will do. The lens is nearly 1.5 years old now.
03-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #112

It looks like you have more light glaring through the handprint in the 31mm shot than with the GR. This could account for the loss of detail.
I'm not saying your hunch is wrong, but you may want to try some more controlled shots before sending the lens in (eg. sett-up some objects on a table at different distances). use a tripod; go through all the f-stops. Put the lens through it's paces.

Last edited by sundr; 03-19-2014 at 10:38 PM.
03-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, my copy is soft - I am certain of it now. The paces have been gone through. More to come when I get some time.
03-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is FA 31 at f4....

03-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is FA 31 at f4....

That's gorgeous as per usual, Rondec.

So, long story short... I got ahold of another FA31 copy temporarily and A/B'd the two against each other. It was clear as day. I don't have time to post results at the moment, but I setup pretty much the same test at the cars across the street on a tripod and snapped shots with both at f1.8 and f2.8. Before I even reviewed the shots I noticed something that didn't dawn on me the first time through, mostly because I rarely if ever use live-view at 10x mag with focus peaking... My copy of the 31 barely displayed any peaking at all in the LCD at f1.8.... Then I put on the other copy and there was peaking lines all over the place, as should be. Reviewing the shots of course confirmed this.

In it goes to Pentax. Quite a drag since it's a year and a half old.
03-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #116
Veteran Member

So, long story short... I got ahold of another FA31 copy temporarily and A/B'd the two against each other. It was clear as day. I don't have time to post results at the moment, but I setup pretty much the same test at the cars across the street on a tripod and snapped shots with both at f1.8 and f2.8. Before I even reviewed the shots I noticed something that didn't dawn on me the first time through, mostly because I rarely if ever use live-view at 10x mag with focus peaking... My copy of the 31 barely displayed any peaking at all in the LCD at f1.8.... Then I put on the other copy and there was peaking lines all over the place, as should be. Reviewing the shots of course confirmed this.

I would have never thought of the focus-peaking being indicative of the problem. Please keep us updated!
03-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #117
Pentaxian

Ya but in a couple weeks you'll have a 31, I still won't and I'll hate you again.
03-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya but in a couple weeks you'll have a 31, I still won't and I'll hate you again.
Don't be a hater. Be that as it may though, I'll likely have to shell out cash since it's out of warranty. Maybe there's a case to be made... it is literally mint look, since I never took it out. So, bummed that I might pay even MORE for a 31limited in the long run. But be THAT as it may, using that other copy made me want a working one even more. It *is* what I wanted it to be.
03-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #119
Veteran Member

My 31mm is off to CRIS to get decentering issues fixed. Like your copy, it's never been dropped and looks absolutely mint. The right 1/5th of the image focuses to about 20 ft when the lens is set at infinity. Chickentender, do you mind posting the cost of repair once they quote you? A little disappointing, but at least we'll know we'll have a sharp copy when it gets back.
03-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
My 31mm is off to CRIS to get decentering issues fixed. Like your copy, it's never been dropped and looks absolutely mint. The right 1/5th of the image focuses to about 20 ft when the lens is set at infinity. Chickentender, do you mind posting the cost of repair once they quote you? A little disappointing, but at least we'll know we'll have a sharp copy when it gets back.
I will certainly.