Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Since I never had an issue with any of them wide open at infinity (well, other than the general not-quite-as-good wide open vs. stopped down a little characteristic that I think everyone would expect),
How can you expect a lens to be at its best or close to its best at large aperture and infinity? That's what I mean by "meant for". It's true for all fast primes. See example below. first at 1.7 , second at 5.6.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
I kind of see what you mean. Can you take a picture of a brick wall at 5.6 or a cereal box at 2.8? I think it would be easier to determine if there's something wrong with your fa31.

I just took these. They aren't the most scientific, but I did try to align the camera and plane of focus parallel with the brick wall. Again, this is center point focused. Here's it at f2.8. The blur is apparent at f4 and f5.6, but less noticeable than at f2.8. Here's the full frame, left crop, and right crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo     
03-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
I just took these. They aren't the most scientific, but I did try to align the camera and plane of focus parallel with the brick wall. Again, this is center point focused. Here's it at f2.8. The blur is apparent at f4 and f5.6, but less noticeable than at f2.8. Here's the full frame, left crop, and right crop.

ok it's pretty clear now. However, the left side of the wall is closer than the right side in this picture.
03-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #139
Veteran Member

ok it's pretty clear now. However, the left side of the wall is closer than the right side in this picture.
Yup I just noticed that. I retook the pictures to align it better. Actually, it seems like there is some distortion going on as well that makes it seem like the left side is closer than the right. I actually had to aim a little left (making the right side closer) for it to look even. Here are results at f4. Still blurry on the right.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo     
03-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still blurry on the right
It sure is. And only your FA31 is doing this? is the middle in focus like the left is?
03-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #141
Veteran Member

It sure is. And only your FA31 is doing this?
Yup, only the 31mm. I have a K-x (the snow sunset picture was shot with it) and a K-3 which I've used for the other shots. It's definitely not the camera.
03-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, only the 31mm. I have a K-x (the snow sunset picture was shot with it) and a K-3 which I've used for the other shots. It's definitely not the camera.
That sucks. I hope it's under warranty...

03-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #143
Veteran Member

That sucks. I hope it's under warranty...
Unfortunately it's not. I bought it used from a reputable user on these forums. I have other lenses I used for landscapes, so the 31mm has been used mainly for portraits and at wide apertures, where this blur at the edge of the frame is not noticeable. I can't be sure whether this decentering was there when I bought it or occurred under my possession (though I've never dropped or mishandled it).
03-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax offers free estimate for repair. It's $100 per hour after estimate I think. You should call....
03-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #145
Veteran Member

Pentax offers free estimate for repair. It's $100 per hour after estimate I think. You should call....
Ouch, I'll give them a call tomorrow during their open hours. I'd imagine it would take them at least a couple hours to diagnose, disassemble, fix, calibrate, and reassemble the lens. In the meantime, I'll see if anyone wants a decentered 31mm on the marketplace.
03-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #146
Pentaxian

How can you expect a lens to be at its best or close to its best at large aperture and infinity? That's what I mean by "meant for". It's true for all fast primes. See example below. first at 1.7 , second at 5.6.
As I said in the statement you quoted,
QuoteQuote:
other than the general not-quite-as-good wide open vs. stopped down a little characteristic that I think everyone would expect
We all accept that almost any lens will probably perform at its best two or three stops down. I'm only questioning the infinity part. I'm guessing the lens was designed/intended to be used wide open at infinity to the same extent it was designed to be used wide open at, say, 5ft.

However, you've raised an important point in lens testing. A lot of us use a test target. With a wide-angle or standard lens, maybe we print 5 8.5x11s and put them in the center and corners of the frame, but then you're looking at maybe 7 or 10 ft or so. You can't be far away because the targets just won't be large enough, and at those distances, you have to deal with distance differences between the centers and edges. Plus focus field curvature in some lenses. And with a telephoto, you might not easily have access to a flat surface large enough to get a sufficient distance away without something coming between the camera and target. So, most of us are limited in how we can test lenses at different distances, but I do believe some defects can show up more or less at different focusing distances, not just different apertures.

---------- Post added 03-23-2014 at 12:16 PM ----------

In looking at the 2nd set of example brick wall images, I can see the one side is a little worse than the other, but I can tell you that my Sigma showed more variation and still was "within spec." So you might be fighting an uphill battle there.

I'd suggest printing the 5 test targets and positioning them in the extreme corners and center, and then testing at different apertures. It's just easier to evaluate the relative performance from test targets than from the brick and mortar, although I've used both. On the other hand, test target images didn't help in my case, so what do I know...

People here have sometimes scoffed at my reports of problems with 5 out of 5 55-300s, but I've gotten worse brick and mortar pictures (worse as in more differences from corner to corner, not considering absolute resolution) from every one of them than what I'm seeing in that 2nd set of pictures.

---------- Post added 03-23-2014 at 12:19 PM ----------

Ouch, I'll give them a call tomorrow during their open hours. I'd imagine it would take them at least a couple hours to diagnose, disassemble, fix, calibrate, and reassemble the lens. In the meantime, I'll see if anyone wants a decentered 31mm on the marketplace.
I don't think they'll tell you, especially on the phone, whether they're even capable of "calibrating" the lens. Calibrating autofocus, maybe. Centering - I'm not sure they can even test for it (as in measure it with scientific equipment, not by shooting brick walls), much less correct it, unless maybe the lens was just not assembled properly in the first place (has a loose element, for example.) I'd love for somebody who actually knows to tell me I'm wrong.
03-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm only questioning the infinity part. I'm guessing the lens was designed/intended to be used wide open at infinity to the same extent it was designed to be used wide open at, say, 5ft.
This is where I disagree. Wide open at infinity only if it is your only way to get the image (not enough light). Why over feeding your sensor with light?
03-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #148
Pentaxian

This is where I disagree. Wide open at infinity only if it is your only way to get the image (not enough light). Why over feeding your sensor with light?
But that has to do with the amount of light on the subject, not your distance to the subject. You can say the same thing - why overfeed the sensor - at 5 feet or infinity. You may be trying for selective focus at infinity, where you blur the foreground (foliage, etc.), and only the infinity parts are in focus. Same with a portrait at 5ft, you might be trying to blur the background. I'm only disagreeing that the lens was specifically designed to give better wide-open performance at 5ft vs. infinity - or even that if it was, that there would be a way for the consumer to determine this.
03-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yea I get what you're saying... For me shooting wide open at infinity is a little crazy, unless that's the only way to get the picture. Large aperture photography is a precision thing. The DOF is too small to shoot a landscape for instance. I actually never go wider than f2.2 with the 31.
03-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For me shooting wide open at infinity is a little crazy, unless that's the only way to get the picture.
Sometimes it IS the only way to get the image:

Pentax K5IIs SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 ASPH limited- ISO 800 @ f/1.8 20s

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-23-2014 at 06:38 PM.