Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Compared to my SMC Pentax K 2/28 the 31mm is an abysmal performer wide open
That is because it is clearly mis-focused.

Here is a corner crop from my FA31 Limited (and my battered copy of the Vivaldi Piccolo concerto in C)

Pentax K5IIs - SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 ASPH limited @ f/1.8 - Unsharpened.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-28-2014 at 10:03 AM.
06-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #167
Veteran Member

...in defense of the FA31 ( not that it needs any ), of course there my be problems with any mechanical lens or problems with user errors, etc..... but I still love the way my 31 renders...

06-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That is because it is clearly mis-focused.

Here is a corner crop from my FA31 Limited (and my battered copy of the Vivaldi Piccolo concerto in C)

Pentax K5IIs - SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 ASPH limited @ f/1.8 - Unsharpened.
Yes you may be right, which brings me to the alternate issue I seem to have with the lens (yes I do have negative thoughts on the lens performance at this stage as the PF user reviews have generated in me very high expectations). Auto focus, at least in my copy, is unreliable. Sure it is fast and even quiet (almost HSM quiet) but the accuracy is poor. I routinely use centre single point focusing for all my AF lenses so there can't be too many excuses there. In all my close focus usage thus far (which is not enormous but enough) I have had to resort to manual adjustments to get the focus right. Admittedly the test was done before I noticed this AF anomaly so perhaps I need to retest (although I did set up with a tripod etc and was very careful to control variables).

As I said more testing to be done but clearly the 31mm is running in second place at the moment. If AF is the sole issue and I can rectify then I will freely admit that both the K 2/28 and FA31 are on par with each other with both being complimentary in their application. On this note I do recognise others whom have made similar lens comparisons and have made similar observations re: their similarities.

Will update once the testing has resolved this AF issue.
06-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Yes you may be right, which brings me to the alternate issue I seem to have with the lens (yes I do have negative thoughts on the lens performance at this stage as the PF user reviews have generated in me very high expectations). Auto focus, at least in my copy, is unreliable. Sure it is fast and even quiet (almost HSM quiet) but the accuracy is poor. I routinely use centre single point focusing for all my AF lenses so there can't be too many excuses there. In all my close focus usage thus far (which is not enormous but enough) I have had to resort to manual adjustments to get the focus right. Admittedly the test was done before I noticed this AF anomaly so perhaps I need to retest (although I did set up with a tripod etc and was very careful to control variables).

As I said more testing to be done but clearly the 31mm is running in second place at the moment. If AF is the sole issue and I can rectify then I will freely admit that both the K 2/28 and FA31 are on par with each other with both being complimentary in their application. On this note I do recognise others whom have made similar lens comparisons and have made similar observations re: their similarities.

Will update once the testing has resolved this AF issue.
Yes the AF problem is far more severe than initially thought and is probably the sole reason for poor sharpness.

AF adjustment to -10 only gets me about 50% the way to resolving the problem - so somehow I will have to find a way to go beyond the K5 AF adjustment range. Bummer.

Is AF a widely experienced problem with the 31mm? Perhaps it is as some do say that the sharpness of the lens is sub par yet perhaps it is AF that presents the main problem ...

06-28-2014, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if AF is the sole issue and I can rectify then I will freely admit that both the K 2/28 and FA31 are on par with each other with both being complimentary in their application.
In the test images you have presented they are both underexposed and are taken under mixed lighting - which has been known to cause AF inaccuracies with the K5 ( the K5IIs doesn't have this issue as the AF module in it was re-designed and upgraded)

The 28mm is spot on with no CA/ PF evident while the 31mm is close to horrid (PF)
I work with lenses from Canon, Nikon, Leica, Zeiss, Schneider, Rodenstock and Voigtlander - compared to other 35mm format 28~35mm lenses faster than f/2 I would say the FA31 is hardly the worst performer - the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 is categorically worse in regard to aberrations, and the Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH is simply superb. However in terms of flare tolerance and resolution at wider apertures the FA31 gives the Leica Summicron-M a real run for its money. The newer Canon 35mm f/2 IS can't hold a candle to the FA 31 in regards to rendering - and the canon lens has bokeh that looks a bit unsettling. And the bokeh from the DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G can be distinctly unappealing under certain circumstances.

Pentax K5IIs - SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited ISO 320 1/250th @ f/1.8

Yes, the FA31mm f/1.8 Limited does produce colour fringing, I have used this lens for years without this being a show-stopping issue. As I recall my copy of the K 28mm f/2 does produce fringing too. But so does every other lens that isn't fully apochromatic.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-28-2014 at 08:49 PM.
06-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Yes, the FA31mm f/1.8 Limited does produce colour fringing, I have used this lens for years without this being a show-stopping issue. As I recall my copy of the K 28mm f/2 does produce fringing too. But so does every other lens that isn't fully apochromatic.
Thanks for your detailed response - I will digest and respond more fully once I have completely come to terms with the FA31 AND the K5 limitations (now it would seem).

Can I say though the K28/2 copy I have produces no colour fringing at all. Perhaps I haven't tried hard enough but nothing todate has proved otherwise. I must say I do think I have an exceptional copy - looks like it was never used.

Cheers
06-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Both the OPs and chickentenders images don't appear to be up to scratch....in the case of chickentenders image I can't find anything sharp anywhere in the frame, that's often motion blur...

In terms of cost...
compared with the Sigma 35 1.4, the 31 stacks up quite nicely, not as centre sharp better edge to edge sharpness, much lower CA which should lead to better microconstrast...

The Asunama is famous for it's "funky" bokeh, not usually a positive thing in a lens
Asanuma 28mm F2.8 - funky bokeh part II: Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
The 31 on the other hand is famous for it's bokeh.
Neither or the images above approach what klaus at photo zone would call excellent... if that was truly the best I could do, I'd send it off to Pentax for calibration, possibly with the camera. But I have to also note, none of the images shown by the OP really show what the lens can do.

I don't know about where you live, but if I phone up the girl at Pentax today and send her the lens, in a week I'll have an estimate and in two weeks I'll have it back, checked out and cleaned, if nothing is wrong, for 25 bucks. My 21 only cost me $200 and it was dropped and needed new parts. Sometimes I think we should have a section here on what to do if your lens isn't performing up to spec... it's high end sensitive equipment, you just cannot buy it and forget it like it was a hammer. Getting the best use requires proper maintenance, but getting the best use also requires good technique. The big problem with evaluating pictures in a thread like this is it can be pretty hard to tell what's going on. What "should" be is irrelevant, if your gear isn't working up to scratch, get it serviced.

From my experience I know, my frustration level is not always a problem with faulty equipment... sometimes the problem is the little shortcuts I think I can get away with.

This is an old post from this thread. Now we just now the posted had a bad copy. Period. But this is not what I wanted to comment from this post.

No, from this post we see both the Sigma & FA31 neck to neck. We can see that in term of shapness, the FA is slightly better on corners and sigma slightly better on center.

But this is not on the same sensor... As the max the Nikon sensor can provide is 2900, and the K5 only 2750. i have found my K3 picture look A LOT sharper than the one of the K5. Clearly the K5 body is not able to get most out of sharp lenses due to low past filter. And if you want shapness badly, if you already have good lenses, change your body to a K3; The sharpness difference will be much more visible than a few percent between 2 very good lenses as we see here. Plus it will work on all good lenses. Is it usefull for normal viewing size? I doubt it anyway...

Anyway, what this story show is that both lens are VERY sharp. I mean both the FA31 & Sigma Art have stellar center performance wide open.

Still the FA31 is much smaller, much lighter and provide more pleasing bokeh... A very important feature when you plan to use your lenses at wide appertures.

Nobody will be able to tell appart the sigma35 from the FA31 from sharpness alone (on 2 good copies). But one will instantly, even at web size notice the difference in rendering where the FA is superior. And the photographer will instantly see the difference in weight & size when using the lens...

Personnally I would not buy the 35Art, from size & weight alone... And having not so good bokeh from an f/1.4 lens is kind of pointless for me. But everyone has it choice, reasonning and preferences isn't it?

Last edited by Nicolas06; 06-29-2014 at 11:23 AM.
08-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I imagine it is time for an update. As many know (or did at one point) my original (nearly new, and *mint*) FA31 copy has been with the C.R.I.S. repair facility for sometime. For the most part I have simply given up on status updates or anything resembling customer service or follow-through. Angela, the CS rep is quite friendly via email and Steve, the repair tech manager was (though extremely difficult to connect with for nearly a week at the onset) helpful during the latter part of the first month of this ordeal.

It's now been 4 months, heading into month number 5. My workorder has been on a parts hold and I've received no communication whatsoever unless I email (which I do about every 3 to 4 weeks, with lengthening intervals) or post to the WO portal site. The last entry that received response was from June 11th and stated thus:

Hello, we require two parts that are currently not in stock. We have placed the order with Pentax and are waiting for those parts to arrive; at this time Pentax does not have an estimated date of arrival for the parts. A guide and roller need replacement inside the lens.
Thank you for your patience.

Apparently a number of days ago the WO status was updated to: "Parts Hold Back Order 7/24/2014"

I'm at an absolute loss here. This is almost comical at this point. What on earth would the situation be if this were an actual warranty repair (mine was a few months out of warranty unfortunately when this process began, simply because I didn't pursue the issue, or rather I didn't *recognize* the breadth of the issue until it was too late) as opposed to an out-of-warranty repair work order - e.g. I'm paying out of my own pocket and time for a problem that clearly existed with the lens since its manufacture.

If anyone has thoughts or ideas, I am all ears. This is just ludicrous.
08-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
If anyone has thoughts or ideas, I am all ears. This is just ludicrous.
I wonder if it'll end up being shipped to the new official repair facility?
08-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #175
Veteran Member

The whole process seems about as heartening as calling 911 only to have them ask you for help.

Pitiful really. No way to run a business to keep or win customers. I'd like to think it's a temporary thing, but parts delays are common on Pentax gear over the years. It smacks of "when the folks that make this stuff for us finally get a big enough order, they'll make the parts, then send it in a container ship and then..."

Good luck. I think you'll need to stick to the GR for awhile.
08-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
The whole process seems about as heartening as calling 911 only to have them ask you for help.

Pitiful really. No way to run a business to keep or win customers. I'd like to think it's a temporary thing, but parts delays are common on Pentax gear over the years. It smacks of "when the folks that make this stuff for us finally get a big enough order, they'll make the parts, then send it in a container ship and then..."

Good luck. I think you'll need to stick to the GR for awhile.
Hehe - I've been shooting pretty much exclusively with my GR1s and MX, and have my other perfectly working copy of the FA31 but I've turned down a total of 5 offers to buy this copy for the sole reason that I don't have it back yet. Just got another PM this morning and sent another message to C.R.I.S. begging for help. Angela responded quickly this time so I hope *something* can be worked out. Again I just don't understand... what if this were an *IN WARRANTY* service... the parts are not different. I can accept a delay, sure, but if this goes another 2 months (and at this rate there's reason to wonder why it wouldn't) I'll be sitting at HALF A YEAR since I sent it in.
So anyhow, I'm not really missing it, except that I'd certainly like to recoup some cost here. As it stands my use of an FA31 has cost me a grand total of well over $2000. :-/
08-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can accept a delay, sure, but if this goes another 2 months (and at this rate there's reason to wonder why it wouldn't) I'll be sitting at HALF A YEAR since I sent it in. So anyhow, I'm not really missing it, except that I'd certainly like to recoup some cost here.
I hear you - My sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 which I only had for three days before I noticed it was de-centered, the lens has been in the shop for nearly a month because the repairer doesn't know if they waint to repair it of straight out replace it. I have had to make alternate plans for some commercial shoots and use my Canon full frame cameras with the 16-35 f/2.8L II - which isn't quite as sharp across the frame as the sigma lens is on APS-C.
08-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #178
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If anyone is interested in the nearly the whole story, here is some light reading for you.... Bear in mind, there were a number of telephone conversations interspersed throughout. C.R.I.S. received my lens(the first time) right around April 7th or thereabouts. It was cleaned, nothing much else done to it and returned to me without notice other than the report I received with it in the box on April 28th. Then things get interesting. Once they received it again they "found" the things I'd originally outlined and pointed out in my description on their intake-form or whatnot (I wrote a couple paragraphs and even referred them to this thread if need be). It was determined a "repair" was actually needed and parts had to be sourced. And that's where it has been ever since.

This saga is ridiculous enough to warrant documenting so here it is (thus far). If any feel I could have better handled the ordeal on my end, I'm am all for suggestions...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

C.R.I.S. Customer Service customerservice@criscam.com

Apr 25

to KEVINR

Please find attached your repair estimate.

To approve or refuse your repairs, call our customer service department at (480) 940-1103 Monday through Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm Arizona time or fax 480-940-1329 to give your approval information. You can approve this estimate

with a VISA, MASTERCARD, DISCOVER, AMERICAN EXPRESS. If you elect to pay by mail, please sign and return a copy of the attached repair estimate with your payment. Make checks payable to C.R.I.S. Camera Services.

Your Work Order number and customer number can be used to track your repair on our website www.criscam.com.

Simply click the “check repair status” link in the lower right hand side of the page to fill in the form.

NOTE: The first two characters of the Work order and Customer number are letters and they must be entered in CAPS as the website is case sensitive.

Thank you,

C.R.I.S. customer service

C.R.I.S. Camera Services | 250 N. 54th Street, Chandler AZ 85226

Phone: 480.940.1103 | Fax: 480.940.1329

Monday – Friday 8:30AM to 5:00PM MST

Web: criscam.com | Blog: camerarepair.org | Email: customerservice@criscam.com
Attachments area
Preview attachment ESTIMATE####.pdf
[PDF]
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kevin R

Apr 25

to C.R.I.S.
Thank you for this estimate, though I am a bit discouraged that it will not be covered as a clear manufacturing defect only a short time outside the warranty since it has exhibited this behavior since day-1 of using the lens.
Can you please send me a copy of the manufacturer's warranty covering the lens as soon as possible. I have opened an extended warranty service claim with the credit-card company of the card I used for this purchase originally and need this for their required documentation to satisfy the claim.

Cheers and thanks very much.

Kevin R

C.R.I.S. Customer Service customerservice@criscam.com via eyewanders.com

Apr 28

to Kevin

Hello Kevin,

The warranty expired 6 months ago, Pentax sometimes offers a “grace period” of 30 days after the warranty has expired, but not 6 months. The warranty information is listed on their website:

Standard RICOH IMAGING Warranty.

RICOH IMAGING products originally distributed by RICOH IMAGING CORPORATION, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202, have a limited One-Year Warranty starting from the date of purchase. This limited warranty covers any defects in original factory materials and workmanship. If your RICOH IMAGING product malfunctions due to such a defect within this one-year period, RICOH IMAGING CORPORATION will repair it at no charge within a reasonable amount of time. This warranty does not cover any damage caused to the product, including, but not limited to: impact, moisture, liquid, sand, excessive temperature, battery leakage, chemical corrosion, mishandling, operation contrary to operating instructions, tampering, modification, or servicing by an unauthorized repair shop. RICOH IMAGING shall not be liable for any consequential or incidental damages, such as memory cards, batteries, travel expenses, loss of time, etc. This warranty only applies to RICOH IMAGING photographic equipment originally distributed in the United States by RICOH IMAGING CORPORATION, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202

Product Repair & Service - RICOH Imaging

For any concerns about their products you may call Pentax/Ricoh at 1-800-234-0276.

Thank you,

Angela F Customer Service Representative

Get Connected, follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail including any attachments is intended only for the party or parties to whom it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying, or printing of any information contained in or attached to this e-mail is STRICTLY PROHIBITED and may constitute a breach of confidentiality and/or privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify immediately the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail and any attachments in their entirety from your system. Thank you. This e-mail message including any attachments is believed to be free of any viruses; however, it is the sole responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free, and C.R.I.S. does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system which may occur in connection with this e-mail including any attachments.

Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 10:54 AM
To: C.R.I.S. Customer Service
Subject: Re: ESTIMATE

Apr 28

to C.R.I.S.
Thanks for your response, Angela. I understand, it is just frustrating to go through all of this for the most expensive lens purchase I've ever made after a long period of being unable to quantify what was wrong until i had more experienced eyes to help me finally.
I would like to go ahead and authorize the repair. Should I just phone you with my payment info?
Thank for your help.

Kevin R

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 09:42
To: Kevin R
Subject: RE: ESTIMATE WO554868
C.R.I.S. Customer Service <customerservice@criscam.com>

Apr 28

to me

Hi Kevin,

I understand, in situations like this I wish I could process the unit as warranty, but we have to follow the warranty policies of each manufacturer we service. Yes you may call us at 480-940-1103 to start the repairs over the

phone with payment.

Thank you,

Sent: Monday, April 28, 2014 9:59 AM

May 7

to C.R.I.S.
Angela, et al,

I have just received back my FA31mm after repair and though I would love to say it now performs wonderfully, it is completely and utterly UNCHANGED. Two weeks time, ample description and references about what was going on, even including online image samples, and $143 dollars out-of-pocket only months after warranty had expired was apparently not enough. I am beyond frustrated at the thought of sending this *back* to you once again. I would like to speak with the technician that performed the repair listed as "Adjusted Optics for Optimal Resolution" tomorrow morning please.
The repair notes went on to warn me to stop the lens down 1 or 2 stops to avoid chromatic aberration and (which as I am already quite aware, these lenses are famous for) and that this is normal. The problem is NOT purple fringing. Upon testing the lens AGAIN against another copy I own (which I purchased solely for a good copy and one I could compare to), the lens in question has an infinity focus problem as well as displaying almost no focus-peaking marks when using live-view on the camera, even magnified to maximum. The difference was AGAIN clear as day against the other FA31 that own. I also noted that the lens in question also exhibits "play" in the outer element housing, which when you slightly rock it back and forth actually affects the viewable focus-peaking, though still does not bring the point of focus completely *in* to focus.
This is absolutely unreasonable to think that sending my lens four states away to authorized Pentax facility would *not* result in a correctly working lens at the end of the process.
I am sorry to sound short, but I am really at a loss for words right (or perhaps not judging from the above). I look forward to resolving this immediately.

Kevin R

May 8

Hi Kevin,

I have the technician supervisor looking into this for you and he will call you.

Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 7:12 PM

to C.R.I.S.
Angela,

Much appreciated. I'll be waiting.
Kevin R

May 9

to C.R.I.S.
Hi Angela -

I just missed a call from Steve regarding this but he did not leave a number to phone him back at. Can I reach him at the number in your signature in the next 30 to 45 minutes?
Kevin R

May 9

to me

Hello Kevin,

Yes please call 480-940-1103 and ask for him, it’s easier that way to get him on the phone if you ask to speak with him.

Sent: Friday, May 09, 2014 2:24 PM

May 9

to C.R.I.S.

Thank you - I will do shortly.
Cheers,
Kevin R

May 13

to C.R.I.S.
Angela - Hello and hope your weekend was good.

I phoned on Friday afternoon not long after this email as mentioned and left a voicemail message regarding for Steve regarding this but did not hear back. He also mentioned in his first message that he'd ring me on Monday but that has not happened, and it's now Tuesday. Perhaps you could send along my email contact with him if we need to schedule a time or speak via email for the time being. My schedule during work hours can be hectic and I cannot always answer particularly if I do not know when to expect the call.

It's been nearly a week now since I first contacted C.R.I.S. about this problem and I've already lost a buyer to this ordeal. Please, can you tell me what to expect?

Best,
Kevin R

May 14

Hi Kevin,

I have forwarded your email to Steve and my supervisor for them to contact you right away.

Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:47 PM

May 18

to C.R.I.S.
Hi Angela -
I spoke with Steve at long last late this week and he was really helpful. He mentioned either refunding the amount I've paid or having me send it back in to see if they can correct the lens further which is what I think I'll opt to do after all. I just don't think I'll be able to get anywhere near what the lens should be worth otherwise.
He said you could send a pre-paid shipping label for me to use to send the lens back in. I'd appreciate it if we could expedite the shipping - I'd really not like to have this go on for too terribly long.
Cheers and thanks once again.

Kevin R

AttachmentsMay 20

to me

Hello Kevin,

Sorry for the delay, I wasn’t told of this and had to confirm. Please use the attached UPS return label to send the lens back for rework.

Thank you,

Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Attachments area
Preview attachment UPS CampusShip_ Shipment Label.pdf
[PDF]

Jun 3

to C.R.I.S.
Angela,

Good morning. It's been quite some time since I returned my lens to you folks and I've not heard a peep from anywhere there. Has been received? Is there a status you or Steve can update me with if so please?

Best,
Kevin R

Jun 3

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the delay in response, yes we did receive it and its with a technician currently. Steve was out for a few days on a work assignment and I will inform him that it’s here. Your new work order number is #### and customer ID# ####, if you would like to follow the status online www.criscam.com

I will check with the technician on the repair status and let you know soon.

Thank you,

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 10:23 AM

Jun 3

to C.R.I.S.

Perfect - thank you Angela. I would just like to make very certain that Steve touches base on this since it's been quite a while since he and I spoke. He talked of a couple possible scenarios and I want to make sure that the tech looking at the lens is aware of all this including issue with focus particularly at infinity in addition to everything else that was noted.

Cheers and thanks for the quick reply.
Kevin R

Jun 3

Hi Kevin,

The technician testing the lens found some “play” in the front assembly he told me, this is covered by our repair warranty and the unit has been put into the repair process. I’ll inform Steve of this and have him evaluate the lens also.

Thank you,

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 1:23 PM

Jun 29

to C.R.I.S.

Angela,

Hello once again. Hope you're well and ... I'm sorry but I'll just be very frank: what the eff is going on my lens and this work order please???

The findings the tech discovered were the very same I described in my original report which was sent to C.R.I.S. in early April.

Early. April.

We're coming up on the 4th of July weekend. I'm happy to have been patient all this time, and honestly, I'm all out of it. Any kind of communication would be great from your team this month.
Kevin R

Jun 30

to me

Hi Kevin,

I understand your frustration with this repair, there are two parts needed to complete the repairs, a guide and roller. We ordered them from Pentax, but honestly Pentax doesn’t always provide us an exact date of arrival for parts, this is out of our control. At this time Pentax doesn’t have an ETA for the parts arrival. We apologize for the delay and we will continue to get a date for the part arrival. If you need to contact Pentax directly their phone number is 1-800-234-0276. I will keep you posted on the repair status.

I appreciate your patience this far, if you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to ask me. I will let you know when parts arrive.

Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:00 PM

Jun 30

to C.R.I.S.
Well, I guess that will have to do. Just a very frustrating experience all around.

Thank you Angela.
Kevin R

Aug 4 (3 days ago)

to C.R.I.S.

Angela,

It's been over a month since I last wrote. Please tell me someone there will go the distance to put this issue to rest now. This is becoming comical. Thanks much.
Kevin R

C.R.I.S. Customer Service

Aug 4 (3 days ago)

Hi Kevin,

We understand and are looking into this for you. Let me see what I can find out from our parts department and with Pentax.

Sent: Monday, August 04, 2014 9:04 AM

8:48 AM (2 hours ago)

to C.R.I.S.

Angelea - following up. Any news??
Kevin R

9:30 AM (1 hour ago)

Good Morning Kevin,

Yes a little news, Pentax emailed me this morning just now that one of the parts is in stock and the other is still back ordered, so I am checking to see what other options we have for you at this point. I’ll keep you posted on the status.

Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2014 8:48 AM

10:13 AM (1 hour ago)

to C.R.I.S.

Thanks Angela. Can I ask how, if at all, this entire process/ordeal may have been handled differently were this repair covered under Pentax warranty as opposed to mine being out of warranty by a few months? At this point there is a fairly sizable group of folks following this story on PentaxForums.com, a few of whom have been interested in possibly purchasing one of my FA31 copies (if I ever get the 2nd one back) and largely just avid Pentax users, many of whom own this "flagship" of sorts from the Pentax lens lineup.

Kevin R

Thursday, August 07, 2014 11:11 AM

Hi Kevin,

Honestly it could have been handled differently if it was under Pentax’s warranty, in some situations like this they have replaced units under their warranty, not all units but some. It’s unfortunate in this type of situation that parts are out of our control with the manufacturers, we are still waiting for that last back ordered part to arrive from Pentax Japan. If you need to escalate this on your end with Pentax, you may call them at 1-800-234-0276. We will continue to get more information on the back ordered part and I’ll keep you posted.

Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2014 10:14 AM

to C.R.I.S.

I'm a little bit‎ at odds with the idea of escalating this myself when I am ready paying C.R.I.S. as the authorized center to obviously act on my behalf, but at this point, sure. Am I to reference the C.R.I.S. WO and Customer numbers when I contact them or is there additional info they will need? Is that just a general 800 number? Is there anyone specific to contact? I understand there've been many changes within and without Pentax in the past year or two but this is just, well, silly at this point.

Kevin R

Thursday, August 07, 2014 11:43 AM (11 minutes ago)

Hi Kevin,

I understand, it was a suggestion, sometimes when getting them from both sides can help speed along certain things. Yes reference the work order number and no specific name, there are a few gentleman at that number that can help.

I am waiting to hear back from Pentax Corp on the ETA for the back ordered part, I hope to have a response soon from them. We agree this isn’t the best situation because we don’t like to have units sitting here for long periods of time waiting for parts, it doesn’t do us any good either for business.

Thank you,

C.R.I.S. Camera Services via eyewanders.com

11:50 AM (7 minutes ago)

to KEVINR
Name : Mail In Customers
Customer Account # : ####
Store Tag No :
CRIS WorkOrder No : ####

Submitter's Message : Hello, we understand your frustration in this parts hold
process. I'm sorry we do not have inventory for replacements. We are working
with Pentax on getting new updates for the parts hold status and will update you
as soon as we receive word back from Pentax.
Thank you

http://www.criscam.com

-----TO BE CONTINUED!!!!------

Last edited by Eyewanders; 08-08-2014 at 12:09 AM.
08-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #179
Veteran Member

The warrenty stuff is obvious. Was it in warrenty, pentax would cover it and accept the expense to offer you a new FA31. Without warrenty they don't really care and may not be even really aware.

Anyway this situation is very frustating.
08-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #180
Pentaxian

If any feel I could have better handled the ordeal on my end, I'm am all for suggestions...
I can emphasize with your frustration but I think it would have been better to not vent it as in "what the eff is going on my lens and this work order please???".

Angela has been very courteous throughout and cannot influence the atrocious part delivery delay caused by Pentax. As far as I noticed, CRIS contributed one blunder themselves (sending the lens back unrepaired) but otherwise it is Pentax you should be mad with.

I can fully understand your frustration and agree that one should not simply accept the situation but I think it is worth being respectful to the people who are trying to help.