Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Need Recommendation....

Well, I was doing a search on Amazon, Sigma for Petax lenses. I was looking for something like a 50-150mm f/2.8. A Sigma lens did pop up, and thinking I had just lenses for Pentax, ordered it. OOPS! Turned out the search brought up other camera manufacturers. Turned out I ordered a Canon lens in error. No problem with getting the other one back or sold. The problem is I am not finding any luck with anything close to the range 50-150mm, without spending huge bucks. This lens was $670.

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know...

Morph00

03-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm betting you could easily track down a used DA* 50-135 2.8 in that price range. It will tend higher, but the IQ of this lens is, well, ridiculous for a zoom. Weather sealed as well. There was a problem with the SDM motors going out in them but mine never has, and the later copies are reportedly FAR less prone to this.

Just do a search for it, here on the forums or otherwise; there's a ton of info and image examples.

---------- Post added 03-16-14 at 03:45 PM ----------

My personal shots with it: DA* 50-135mm - a set on Flickr
03-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

+1 for the DA* 50-135. Regarded by many as a 'bag of primes' in one lens.
03-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Both the Sigma 50-150mm and the Pentax 50-135mm are great f/2.8 lenses. I jumped on a used Sigma 50-150mm for a grand total of $750 after tax and shipping from Henry's Canada. On craigslist, I can pick up 3 used DA 50-135mm's locally for between $650-1000 Canadian.

The Pentax is weather-sealed, but the Sigma has faster autofocus.
You can split hairs between the two for weeks, moths, and years; but, in the end, they'll both take sharp contrasty images at a similar price, weight, and range. I played with a friend's Pentax 50-135mm that he had converted to screwdrive after his SDM failed, and it was still a pleasure to use. At the time I made the purchase, the Sigma was the better priced lens and that was the deciding factor for me. I formerly used a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 which was also pretty good, but the autofocus was finicky on my copy and I found I would always leave it at home because of its weight.

I went for the Sigma, but honestly, I'd be just as happy with either lens.

Either way you slice it, you'll come out with a winner. Stress less, shoot more!

03-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You'll get really nice IQ out of the Pentax DA*50-135 - better than the Sigma 50-150. But if you want the Sigma 50-150 it's available in K-mount.

As others have said, buy used.

If you want the Sigma 70-200, then you could buy new (because you want to buy the latest version, and used copies aren't as common). But it costs more and doesn't quite have the IQ of the DA*50-135 either. So you really have to want that range or its faster focusing to get one.

I can't think of a better Image Quality zoom lens made for Pentax than the DA*50-135. See for yourself:

PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

The only thing you don't want the Pentax DA*50-135 for is fast-moving sports. As I always say, it focuses fast enough to shoot a parade, but not a competitive running event. For that you need screw-drive primes like the F or FA135, or the FA*200. The latest Sigma 70-200/2.8 also works for sports.

Last edited by DSims; 03-16-2014 at 05:36 PM.
03-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I'm betting you could easily track down a used DA* 50-135 2.8 in that price range. It will tend higher, but the IQ of this lens is, well, ridiculous for a zoom. Weather sealed as well. There was a problem with the SDM motors going out in them but mine never has, and the later copies are reportedly FAR less prone to this.

Just do a search for it, here on the forums or otherwise; there's a ton of info and image examples.

---------- Post added 03-16-14 at 03:45 PM ----------

My personal shots with it: DA* 50-135mm - a set on Flickr
Which qualify, chicken tender, as "later copies...FAR less prone to [SDM motor issues]"? By serial number, maybe...? Thanks.

In response to "Need recommendation...", if you can live without auto-focus and with stop-down metering (landscapes, et.al.), I'll just suggest that I'm going to be trying these two MF Nikon zooms adapted to my new K-3 -- very economical: Nikon Series-E 70-150mm/3.5 AI-S; and Nikkor 50-135mm/3.5 AI-S. You can see how these stack up to the modern Nikon lenses and classic primes at 100mm (various stops) in a comparison shoot on Ken Rockwell's blogsite. You don't have to bother with any of Ken's schtick. 😉 -- Fred

---------- Post added 03-16-14 at 11:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
You'll get really nice IQ out of the Pentax DA*50-135 - better than the Sigma 50-150. But if you want the Sigma 50-150 it's available in K-mount.

As others have said, buy used.

If you want the Sigma 70-200, then you could buy new (because you want to buy the latest version, and used copies aren't as common). But it costs more and doesn't quite have the IQ of the DA*50-135 either. So you really have to want that range or its faster focusing to get one.

I can't think of a better Image Quality zoom lens made for Pentax than the DA*50-135. See for yourself:

PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

The only thing you don't want the Pentax DA*50-135 for is fast-moving sports. As I always say, it focuses fast enough to shoot a parade, but not a competitive running event. For that you need screw-drive primes like the F or FA135, or the FA*200. The latest Sigma 70-200/2.8 also works for sports.
Hi. Could you advise if the F70-210mm zoom would also qualify in the fast enough AF-ing for [sunny daylight] sports category? Lens Database reviewers seem to rate that one very positively for auto-focus action; but, not surprisingly, there's typically some ambiguity with regard to "fast enough for what?" Thanks. I've recently acquired both that one and the F135mm/2.8 to try (not that sports represents a high priority in my case); so I'm curious. -- F.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 03-16-2014 at 08:59 PM.
03-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Hi. Could you advise if the F•70-210mm zoom would also qualify in the fast enough AF-ing for [sunny daylight] sports category? Lens Database reviewers seem to rate that one very positively for auto-focus action; but, not surprisingly, there's typically some ambiguity with regard to "fast enough for what?" Thanks. I've recently acquired both that one and the F•135mm/2.8 to try (not that sports represents a high priority in my case); so I'm curious. -- F.
Well, your F135 is a great choice here. I like to shoot it at f/3.5 or f/4 for sports. It can be challenging at times for the camera to maintain focus when an athlete who's running toward you is filling the frame, but the results can be quite nice. Use AF-C and select a non-center focus point for best composition.

I've honestly never even tried my F70-210 for sports, because I like the wider apertures of the FA*85, FA135, and F*300. I have two K-5 bodies (one is the IIs) and I put one lens on each, so I'm OK without the zoom.

But the F70-210 is a good lens (especially for the price - and an even better value in the Takumar brand), so if you don't already have a lens like it, it's worth the price anyway. I guess I should try mine for sports sometime and see how it goes.

Last edited by DSims; 03-16-2014 at 09:50 PM.
03-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, ALL!

Okay, you've all given me food for thought. I am familiar with 70-200 f/2.8 (Canon), as I had in the past shot dance performances with it. Results were always great. I shoot with existing light dance, stage productions (musicals, plays) at rehearsals and when invited - actual shows; and bands. So the range I'm looking for is what it seems weveryone is recommending.

DSims - You said there is a 50-150 Sigma with K-mount, now I have to research that, Sigma's website did not indicate that it existed, so maybe I missed that, or that is how I ended up with a Canon version in my search.

So, Again, thank you all, I find that searching for the lens at the right price is going to be interesting.

Morph00

03-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Is the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 an option? It's currently selling for 750-770 dollars new from several vendors at Amazon.com, including Adorama.

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras (Model A001P)
03-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
RE: Tamron 70-200 f/2.8

ChristianRock,

It is, and it may be my interim solution for the zoom. I have a K-3 and K-5 II, so I can cover the lower end with the 35mm, 40mm or 50mm, all f2.8 or better.

Now to get the Canon lens back to the vendor.

Thanks,

Morph00
03-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Again, thank you all for your assistance! I just received the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 lens today. Adorama was very efficient in shipping, beat the estimated delivery by a day!

Interesting lens in function, much different than the Canon version (non-Tamron) that I am familiar with. Shifting from autofocus to manual is a multi-step process, something that is unusual (for me), I was use to a switch on the lens, essentially the switch is on the camera body and pull the focus ring in on the lens to engage. I can get use to it.

NIce thing is this is the macro version, so where the Canon 70-200 kept you several feet out from the subject, I could sit in my chair and actually shoot a water bottle within 3 ft at all ranges. Cool!

I think this lens has some features over the Canon 70-200, that I like.

Shooting a band on Saturday, I have 3 primes that are f2.8 or faster, plus the 70-200 f2.8. Ready to have fun! Of course, this summer there will be a lot of things going on, August is a local production of "Legally Blonde" I've been invited to come shoot tech week. Always a great thing to do!

Thanks again all!

Morph00
03-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morph00 Quote
Again, thank you all for your assistance! I just received the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 lens today. Adorama was very efficient in shipping, beat the estimated delivery by a day!

Interesting lens in function, much different than the Canon version (non-Tamron) that I am familiar with. Shifting from autofocus to manual is a multi-step process, something that is unusual (for me), I was use to a switch on the lens, essentially the switch is on the camera body and pull the focus ring in on the lens to engage. I can get use to it.

NIce thing is this is the macro version, so where the Canon 70-200 kept you several feet out from the subject, I could sit in my chair and actually shoot a water bottle within 3 ft at all ranges. Cool!

I think this lens has some features over the Canon 70-200, that I like.

Shooting a band on Saturday, I have 3 primes that are f2.8 or faster, plus the 70-200 f2.8. Ready to have fun! Of course, this summer there will be a lot of things going on, August is a local production of "Legally Blonde" I've been invited to come shoot tech week. Always a great thing to do!

Thanks again all!

Morph00
Congratulations!
03-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morph00 Quote

Thanks again all!
I'm sure you know the old internet saying...

Pictures or it didn't happen

It would be awesome to see that kit in action! Including your primes, too. I'm just a sucker for concert photography...
03-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm sure you know the old internet saying...

Pictures or it didn't happen

It would be awesome to see that kit in action! Including your primes, too. I'm just a sucker for concert photography...
Small local band, at a small local venue (read bar) LOL

Good news is, having a few drinks in me and between dancing, got over 200 shots. Never guarantee that they ALL come out perfect, however, I did get some pretty good shots. Not sure how to post some on here, but will get to it soon.