Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

What is this appear on the lens glass ?

Here is the problem

and other samples with increased contrast

Is this what is called lens separation ? or balsam separation ,, it seen only around the corners of the glass toward the back of the lens
it unfortunately affect the image quality ,,, the lens is somewhat soft ,, i have another copy of this lens without this problem and it performs more superior ..

03-17-2014, 02:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoshoper Quote
Is this what is called lens separation ? or balsam separation ,, it seen only around the corners of the glass toward the back of the lens it unfortunately affect the image quality ,,, the lens is somewhat soft ,, i have another copy of this lens without this problem and it performs more superior ..
Yes am afraid - this is a balsam separation that is separating slowly two glass elements that has been glued together.
It is worth mentioning that this sort of balsam separation usually affects the photo quality ( from what I saw ) - but other kind - where you see like sort of patch of something oily and very colorful inside the glass - this would not affect the photo quality thaty much - only perhaps loose of contrast a bit with strong lit scenes. - at least this is what I observe with one of my lenses that has got this kind of separation. Also other thing is that your kind will progress quickly - where the other can stop for decades with one or two odd slashes of colorful separation inside - this is the case with my lens.
--manntax
03-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Its the Pentax-K 50mm 1.2
03-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is enough to bring tears.

It may be worth having repaired if cosmetically good.

Steve

03-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is enough to bring tears.

It may be worth having repaired if cosmetically good.

Steve
Everything is mint except this problem

---------- Post added 03-17-2014 at 11:12 PM ----------

Here is a comparison of the 2 lenses both K50mm 1.2 ,, one is mint that show glass separation and other cosmetically ugly and focus ring didn't work well but glass is good without separation problem ..

this is the one with separation @1.2

and that is the intact glass one but ugly outer condition

03-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, in this kind of separation the loss of contrast is most likely .. still a pretty usable lens though--manntax
03-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Getting old lenses fixed isn't that expensive.

Worth looking at getting it fixed up as f1.2's are getting rare.

03-18-2014, 12:53 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Well, the easiest thing to do would be to switch out the lens assemblies in the two - literally a 5 minute operation! Remove the front rings and retaining screws, pop out the cells, and switch them around. Of course, then you'd have an ugly lens with bad optics in addition to your nice one. Definitely worth trying the lightbulb trick on this one.

If it doesn't work, go ahead and take it to be repaired. This should use Balsam cement and should be easily re-cementable. If you aren't confident in doing it yourself, any competent camera repairman can do it for you for a fraction of the value of the lens.

Edit: Come to think of it, you probably don't even have to remove the entire lens assembly. The rear cell should be able to be switched quite easily with only a rubber tool and perhaps a JIS screwdriver to remove the mount.
This what i have thinking of
03-18-2014, 02:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seem the exact same situation on a k50/1.2.
I wasn't sure about that was fungus or seperation.
Now i know.
03-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
What about Eric Hendrickson ?? for pentax service
03-18-2014, 05:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What about Eric Hendrickson ?? for pentax service
It is worth sending him an email for an estimate. I'm sure he could fix it at a reasonable price.

Eric's Homepage

Eric Hendrickson
pentax27@aol.com
188 Shoffner Rd
Sharps Chapel, TN 37866
Fax/phone 865 278-1051

Tim
03-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I am not intending to second guess Eric's ability at all, but you would likely do better having it repaired locally.

This is a repair that requires absolutely no specialized Pentax knowledge, and given the expense of sending the lens to and from the U.S. from Egypt and the rates Eric charges, you would likely be able to have it repaired just as effectively and much more economically by a competent local repairperson. Not to mention the delay and risk of damage/loss/theft/etc. in the mail.
I'm familiar with opening pentax lenses and have the tools ,, and will try the halogen lamp but the question is which element is affected ,, its not clearly evident
or simply i have to direct the halogen light on the whole lens from back direction ?