Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #16

Original Poster
Hi Steve, you're right about few shallow scratches. I contacted the seller and now I'm waiting for response.

---------- Post added 18-03-14 at 16:09 ----------

Maybe, at the and, with this rear lens problems I did pay to much. Ah...

03-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Safest bet... since you are not happy with it, return it.
Get your money back and invest in another better copy .
03-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #18

Original Poster
Well, I'm not that unhappy. If this "ding" will produce significant problems on the image then I want to return it; if not, I'll ask for partial refund because the item wasn't as described.

Last edited by malenisjaj; 03-25-2014 at 02:17 PM.
03-18-2014, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Ding or scratch on glass will not significant affect your image.
It would lower the contrast and sharpness. However, it is very minimum unless it's more than 50% of the area.
Damage on the rear element could cause bigger problem compared to the front element.

Looking to your glass, I think it is very tiny and it won't affect your image at all. (Not to human eyes.)

03-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by malenisjaj Quote
Well, I'm not that unhappy. If this "ding" will produce significant problems on the image then I want to return it; if not, I'll ask for partial refund because the item wasn't as described.
Cool... let us know how it worked out.
But like I have said... I doubt you will have any major problems... even on FF bodies.
03-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMHO, having used lenses in similar, better, and worse condition. That scratch will have exactly zero effect on your images. That dust spot on your sensor, though, will affect images.

The Flashlight Test
Skip to the scratches section. There are some good points there about how scratches do (actually don't) affect images.

Dropped my camera lens, now I get an interesting 'shatter' effect on my bokeh. What are your experiences with cracked lenses? : photography
Sample photo taken with a lens with a shattered rear element and then a photo of the rear element.
03-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #22

Original Poster
The seller offered only to return (and apology because the problem of disinformations occured due to lack of personnel and lack of times (in store)), but since it would have to travel half the continent (Europe) and with "ding" small enough to not causing the image problems, I decided to keep the lens. Well, for that amount of money I'll say I've got a good bet.

This brings me to the next question: there was a post from a guy who asked is one willing to risk to pay for this lens 145$ with little "ding" on the rear lens; what happend with it?

@K David. Is something wrong with last link in your post because it opens "Pentax Camera/Lens Sample Photo Search"?

03-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

@K David. Is something wrong with last link in your post because it opens "Pentax Camera/Lens Sample Photo Search"?
Any time you type "sample photo" in the forums, it automatically links to the sample photo area. That wasn't meant to be a link.
03-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy that lens. If that scratch ever bothers you so much that you can't stand it, just send the lens to me I'd love to own one of those. Good luck!
03-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #25
Pentaxian

This brings me to the next question: there was a post from a guy who asked is one willing to risk to pay for this lens 145$ with little "ding" on the rear lens; what happend with it?
I don't understand your question, but if someone posted with an offer to buy, the post would probably be removed, since sales are restricted to other areas of the site. Also you may not have donated sufficiently to be allow to sell on the forum.

I'd suggest you pay and list the lens here on the forum, with an accurate description. Whatever you get from the sale you can put toward a lens that won't constantly annoy you.
03-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Perhaps it was dust?
Obvious dust spot.

It's likely the scratch will have no noticeable effect, and even if so, it may be in a portion of the image that is easily cloned, or so complex to be unnoticeable.
03-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like dust to me too. Can you try it on a different body, even film?
03-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't understand your question, but if someone posted with an offer to buy, the post would probably be removed, since sales are restricted to other areas of the site. Also you may not have donated sufficiently to be allow to sell on the forum.
I don't think it was an offer to buy the lens. It was a hypothetical question is someone willing to buy this (kind of) lens, which is rare (according to bdimitrov) and cost more than 400 us$, for 145 us$ but with a little "ding" on the rear lens. This, in my opinion, is a little self-psychological barrier which depends from person to person. Now, when I found out that it doesn't impact in image quality, I would do it again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Looks like dust to me too. Can you try it on a different body, even film?
It seems it was dust. I shot some pictures again (after dust cleaning operation) and it was ok. And K-5 II is the only body I have.