Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #31
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,389
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Did you not read the part below (that starts with "Of course [...]")? I just suggested an experiment where you set-up similarly narrow DoF on a different type of subject/shot to see if you find it easy to nail manual focus quickly in a narrow DoF situation.
Of course not
I've been talking DOF in all my posts so what else would you expect me to FOCUS on

03-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Ikarus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 462
I have no experience with the 70/2.4. I like the Samyang a lot, with one caveat - wide open, it suffers from rather strong Longitudinal Chromatic Aberration (aka bokeh fringing - purple in the front, green in the back) that can be quite distracting depending on the scene (readily illustrated by taking a shot of a piano keyboard from a low angle, for instance). I suppose this is the price to pay for it being as sharp as it is from wide open.
03-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #33
Veteran Member
peterjcb's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weddington, NC
Posts: 468
I own the 70 2.4 and IMO it is the perfect portrait lens....equivalent to my old ff NIkon 105mm.

forgot to mention that the Takumar F 70-210 is also a wonderful portrait lens and it's about $60....a steal IMO.
03-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #34
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 885
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Ummm, I have DA*55 and it is not very soft @ 1.4 and by 1.8, (where DA50/1.8 is soft, as soft as DA*55 @1.4) DA* is alreay sharp enough for portraits. Actally f 2.8 is good and f 4 is even better for most portraits except when you want to achieve just one eye in focus look. And DA*will have edge in here too. But it is more expensive too.

I have also samyang 85/1.4 really sharp from 1.4. Stopped downd even better. But I'm selling my copy because it is too narrow for my use. I prefer DA*55. But DA70 might be better for my taste. Still I'd go for my 55 for portraits.

Just my 2 cents.
DA*55 is of course an ideal upgrade lens for DA50 :-). It almost has all the features: fast, all weather, sharp, standard portrait (85mm in 135 format) and FF-compatible et al. The only thing I am hesitating is that the SDM is reported to be slow comparing to DC.

03-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #35
Site Supporter
waterfall's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,772
I have the 70 mm Ltd and love it. Colors are superb, images sharp. It is a great short tele. I use it for candid portraits but even more for short landscapes and nearby wildlife. For portraits in available light (not in a studio) this lens excels from near darkness to blown out sunshine highlights. The 70 in a studio portrait environment might blow you away.
03-18-2014, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian
Gray's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape Town
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 387
I have both. People don't like waiting to have their portraits taken and get self conscious quickly. Get the DA 70. It's light, has fast AF with quick shift to MF and gives you an excellent rendering. The K-5II will focus it quickly and accurately. The DA is a great little portrait lens to use "in the field", i.e. in indoor and outdoor situations where it may be difficult to stage a composition quickly and you want good candid portraits with a minimum of fuss.

The Samyang is optically excellent too, but takes dedication to use well, particularly taking portraits when accurate MF takes skill and dexterity to achieve quickly. For still life and landscapes, or portraits where you have plenty of time to set up focus it's fine, but I am sure you will find the DA 70 much more useful as a good all round portrait lens. The DA is excellent for other purposes too.
03-19-2014, 01:16 AM   #37
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I have both. People don't like waiting to have their portraits taken and get self conscious quickly. Get the DA 70. It's light, has fast AF with quick shift to MF and gives you an excellent rendering. The K-5II will focus it quickly and accurately. The DA is a great little portrait lens to use "in the field", i.e. in indoor and outdoor situations where it may be difficult to stage a composition quickly and you want good candid portraits with a minimum of fuss.

The Samyang is optically excellent too, but takes dedication to use well, particularly taking portraits when accurate MF takes skill and dexterity to achieve quickly. For still life and landscapes, or portraits where you have plenty of time to set up focus it's fine, but I am sure you will find the DA 70 much more useful as a good all round portrait lens. The DA is excellent for other purposes too.
Thank you for opinion. I think about this too. But while i didn't used samyang i think this focusing is quite easy. Tomorrow will go outside and will try take some quick pictures with my Jupiter 37a and will upload here.
For autofocus i agree 100%, that there is better autofocus then no autofocus. But when lookink picture samples somehow samyang pictures look much nicer. More beautifull colors, better bokeh. but that pictures could be postprocessed.

70mm samples: SG200987.JPG | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , Bark | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , IMGP0497 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

samyang samples: Gema | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , Thinking about music | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , A girl | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So there is dilema maby 70mm f2.4 bokeh is enough. but when comparing samyang and pentax samples, pentax photos is somehow boring. i don''t know.....
03-19-2014, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,746
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
DA*55 is of course an ideal upgrade lens for DA50 :-). It almost has all the features: fast, all weather, sharp, standard portrait (85mm in 135 format) and FF-compatible et al. The only thing I am hesitating is that the SDM is reported to be slow comparing to DC.
It is not really fast, but for portraits it is fast enough. But I think DA 70/2.4 is faster.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vejas Quote
Thank you for opinion. I think about this too. But while i didn't used samyang i think this focusing is quite easy. Tomorrow will go outside and will try take some quick pictures with my Jupiter 37a and will upload here.
For autofocus i agree 100%, that there is better autofocus then no autofocus. But when lookink picture samples somehow samyang pictures look much nicer. More beautifull colors, better bokeh. but that pictures could be postprocessed.

70mm samples: SG200987.JPG | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , Bark | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , IMGP0497 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

samyang samples: Gema | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , Thinking about music | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , A girl | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So there is dilema maby 70mm f2.4 bokeh is enough. but when comparing samyang and pentax samples, pentax photos is somehow boring. i don''t know.....
There is one problem with images from web. As you can see, there is way better light in samyang examples, and WB is different. But for that Bokeh thing. 85/1.4 will be better. no way around that. then If you nail focus too, it will be even better.
These are not portraits, but some examples. I like to take pictures of flowers ect. too so that is why this lens is not my favorite.





03-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #39
Pentaxian
kh1234567890's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Manchester, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,405
QuoteOriginally posted by Vejas Quote
Bark | Flickr - Photo Sharing! ,

So there is dilema maby 70mm f2.4 bokeh is enough. but when comparing samyang and pentax samples, pentax photos is somehow boring. i don''t know.....
You did pick just about the most boring one of my DA70 shots

I've only had it for a while and that was one of my first shots with it. Some of the others are better ...
03-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #40
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I have both. People don't like waiting to have their portraits taken and get self conscious quickly. Get the DA 70. It's light, has fast AF with quick shift to MF and gives you an excellent rendering. The K-5II will focus it quickly and accurately. The DA is a great little portrait lens to use "in the field", i.e. in indoor and outdoor situations where it may be difficult to stage a composition quickly and you want good candid portraits with a minimum of fuss.

The Samyang is optically excellent too, but takes dedication to use well, particularly taking portraits when accurate MF takes skill and dexterity to achieve quickly. For still life and landscapes, or portraits where you have plenty of time to set up focus it's fine, but I am sure you will find the DA 70 much more useful as a good all round portrait lens. The DA is excellent for other purposes too.
i took 10 photos one after another with jupiter 37a, this is 135mm f3.5 using manual focus with catch in focus. the weather was cloudy, rainy, not much light. jupiter 37a - a set on Flickr
what you think. will i be able to catch same focus with samyang ?

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It is not really fast, but for portraits it is fast enough. But I think DA 70/2.4 is faster.



There is one problem with images from web. As you can see, there is way better light in samyang examples, and WB is different. But for that Bokeh thing. 85/1.4 will be better. no way around that. then If you nail focus too, it will be even better.
These are not portraits, but some examples. I like to take pictures of flowers ect. too so that is why this lens is not my favorite.



i took 10 photos one after another with jupiter 37a, this is 135mm f3.5 using manual focus with catch in focus. the weather was cloudy, rainy, not much light. jupiter 37a - a set on Flickr
what you think. will i be able to catch same focus with samyang ?
03-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #41
Pentaxian
Gray's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape Town
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 387
QuoteOriginally posted by Vejas Quote
will i be able to catch same focus with samyang ?
Yes, you'll be okay with the Samyang, wider depths of field and catch in focus. But you will find f/1.4 and f/1.7 quite challenging with c.i.f. I think. The Samyang (or at least my Vivitar version of it) does have a nice damped focus ring, with a long throw for accurate manual focus. I have no reason to think that you wouldn't be able to use this lens effectively with practice, even at very wide f-stops. The Samyang is certainly an excellent lens, but it is heavy and large compared to the DA 70. Why not buy a good used copy of the Samyang and see how it performs? If it doesn't suit you can always sell it.
03-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #42
arv
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 376
If you want to see what DA 70mm is capable, look at the member's Free Soul flickr page, tagged with 7024 (link here) - IMO one of the best uses of DA 70 for artistic people photography.
These are very different lenses - no matter which one you will get first, sooner or later you will start to lust for another

A.
03-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #43
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
If you want to see what DA 70mm is capable, look at the member's Free Soul flickr page, tagged with 7024 (link here) - IMO one of the best uses of DA 70 for artistic people photography.
These are very different lenses - no matter which one you will get first, sooner or later you will start to lust for another

A.
really amazing pictures but there is question how much these pictures was improved by photoshop. but really, they look great
03-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #44
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,805
QuoteOriginally posted by Vejas Quote
really amazing pictures but there is question how much these pictures was improved by photoshop. but really, they look great
What these, and other shots in this thread show, IMHO, is that there's so much more to a good portrait than just a good lens or a razor thin depth-of-field...

Here's a (beautiful, IMHO) portrait shot with the DA 16-45 F/4:

03-19-2014, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member
devorama's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 638
I have both the DA70 and the Samyang 85mm (Rokinon branded version). Shooting on a K-3.

The DA70 is my preferred portrait lens. If you go to a casual event and just want some nice portraits of people, the autofocus makes a world of difference. As Gray mentioned, people get self-conscious quickly when taking their picture. So time is really important. If you are doing a more controlled photoshoot and have plenty of time, manual focus may be fine. But honestly, if you intend to shoot the 85mm at F/1.4, you will need to use live view to magnify things. Manual focus through the viwfinder at F/1.4 is really hard. And unless you're shooting mug shots, you may get one eye in focus and the other will be out of focus.

In terms of focus accuracy, I found my DA70 does back focus slightly at near the minimum focus distance. But it is slightly front focused at long focus distances like 8m. So I just leave the focus correction in the middle.

Again, I recommend the DA70. Good portraits are about much more than super blurred backgrounds. The DA70 is sharp wide open, great colors, and autofocus is pretty good. IMO, this is one of the lenses that make the Pentax system so attractive. Shooting these awesome compact primes and with in-body image stablilization is a Pentax-only trait!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70mm, 70mm f2.4limited, 85mm, catch-in-focus, da, da*55, dof, f1.4, f2.4, f2.4limited or samyang, fa77, focus, function, head, im, k-mount, lens, lenses, ltd, pentax lens, portrait, portraits, samples, samyang, samyang 85mm f1.4, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Samyang - Rokinon 85mm f1.4 and Pentax-m 50mm f1.4 cali92rs Sold Items 6 01-31-2014 12:10 PM
Going for 85mm f1.4 or 135mm f1.8 for portraits? minahasa Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 08-17-2013 12:17 AM
Portait lens - Pentax 50mm f1.2 (K version) or Samyang 85mm f1.4 Damon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 01-21-2013 01:35 AM
77mm f1.8 or Sigma 85mm f1.4 for outdoor portraits? crossover37 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 60 05-12-2011 11:04 AM
For Portraits: Sigma 85mm 1.4 or Pentax 50-135mm f2.8? crossover37 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 04-27-2011 08:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top