Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #61
Pentaxian

My 2 cents:

Optically the Samyang 85/1.4 is excellent and it is a fantastic bargain.
If you can live with manual focus, then I really don't see a reason not to get this lens.

N.B., focus confirmation on Pentax cameras is serviceable and with some training, i.e., working out which point to choose within the range in which it will indicate focus, you can make it work well for you.

A purist would get a Canon Ee-S focusing screen. The stock screen is not suitable to get anything into focus just through visual feedback once you go wider than f/2.8.

Last edited by Class A; 03-31-2014 at 09:56 AM.
03-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The stock screen is not suitable to get anything into focus just through visual feedback once you go wider than f/2.8.
Let me disagree with you on this

I would just say that the stock screen is probably one of the worst to focus manually, altought it can work pretty well.
03-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I too own both the 70mm Ltd and Samyang 85mm, and though I love them both, I rely mostly on the 70mm for portraits, mainly because of the ability to autofocus.

I've changed the focusing screen on my K30 and it helped *a lot*, but I still focus too slow and inaccurate lot's of times when it comes to people/portrait photography. I've used the 85mm in studio environment as well where I have more time to focus, but the light level on the other hand makes it difficult again.

My recommendation goes towards the 70mm Ltd.

---------- Post added 29-03-14 at 11:00 ----------

That is in all fairness a bad example. Your focus is on the back of their heads.
Uh, no it isn't. The focal point is the eyes of the mother. And besides, my point in the post was the skin rendering. So in all fairness your comment was unhelpful.
03-31-2014, 01:08 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Samyang is a way to go, but try if you can get hold of K85/1.8, much smaller lens to carry compared to Samyang.

I have both and I almost always pick K85 unless I need f1.4.

03-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
Uh, no it isn't. The focal point is the eyes of the mother. And besides, my point in the post was the skin rendering. So in all fairness your comment was unhelpful.
Do show a much larger crop of the mothers eyes. Till then, I say the focus is too far back - and therefore a bad example of your claim.
03-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Once again,

My point was the skin rendering issue. I am not going to spend more time pleasing someone who is trying to hijack the original discussion to belittle. If you need a crop to tell where the focal point is why were you sure enough make a comment how my placement was incorrect?
03-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
Once again,

My point was the skin rendering issue. I am not going to spend more time pleasing someone who is trying to hijack the original discussion to belittle. If you need a crop to tell where the focal point is why were you sure enough make a comment how my placement was incorrect?
You mean the discussion about Pentax 70mm vs Samyang 85mm for portraits? I fail to see how commenting on your claim towards skin rendering is *not* relevant.

The crop isn't for me, but you.
03-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok you 2, stop squabbling or I'll tell your mum.

Anyway, concerning the original question, 85 f1.4 vs 70 f2.4 - I would strongly recommend the 70, for the following reasons:

1) The 70 has quickshift. When, or if, you notice that it has misfocussed, you can manually adjust it to what you feel is best. With the 85 you must do this every time. I don't think that all pentax lenses always focus incorrectly, as the OP seems to believe, so with the 70 you may never need to adjust manually. And focussing sometimes is better than focussing always. My copy of the 70 nails focus every time.
2) The 70 is very very small and light. This makes it less intimidating for portraits, and for candids and street shots it is perfect, hardly even gets noticed. Whereas the Samyang shouts look at me, I reckon.
3) The focal length. At one time decades ago, the most popular lenses were 28 or 35, 50, 135. But 135 is not good for portraits, so some lens manufacturers brought out 85mm lenses, which were hailed as just about perfect for portraits, because of the way they didn't flatten the structure of the head and face. That was on 35mm film. On APS-C, to get the portrait to occupy the same area of the frame as on 35mm, you are going to have to stand further away, which will flatten the structure of the skull, and cause problems of distance and of intimacy with the subject. So, in truth, probably the best equivalent on APS-C is the 55 mm f1.4 (82.5) or the Tamron (?) 60mm F2 macro (90). Good luck finding that 60 mm, I think it's a pipedream.
4) The aperture. For portraits, f1.4 is too big, in my opinion. Such a narrow depth of field means that bokeh starts within the face - you can get that same effect with Vaseline on a UV filter, much cheaper. And even at f2.4 it is easy to achieve bokeh with a little bit of care.

Don't get me wrong, I would love the 85 for myself, but I would almost never use it for portraits, I would use it for flowers or something. But when I do my Single IN... monthly challenges, regardless of which lens I am using, there are 2 lenses, one of which I usually wish I was using instead: either the 21 f3.2 or the 70 f2.4

Last edited by Bagga_Txips; 03-31-2014 at 10:19 PM.