Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Takumar F 70-210 most under-rated?

...so I went on Ebay looking for some old full frame lenses and decided to take a chance on a $60 Takumar. I was blown away by the results from such an inexpensive lens. This lens is a gem regardless of the price but it doesn't hurt that it's so cheap...
and I find the range extremelly useful as a general carry round.
the bird shots were taken at 210mm

some exploratory shots...

03-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't this the lens famous for developing a sloppy zoom, i.e., slipping? I apologize for not checking, but that pops into mind.
Nice shots, btw.
03-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the exact same lens (which I got for about the same price). One of the better values available in K-mount glass.
03-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've got one of those things, too. You're right, it's surprisingly good for a budget tele-zoom. It's compact, but surprisingly heavy. It feels solid. The only reason I don't use it is because I rarely shoot longer than 50mm.

This was at 135mm, not stopped down at all (f/4.5).

For anyone who needs telephoto on a budget, it's a good, compact alternative to the Sigma or Tamron 70-300's. It's much smaller than those lenses, which makes it useful as an "emergency telephoto" for someone who usually doesn't shoot long, but wants to keep their options open.

03-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Don't ever put a TC on it, the purple fringing will eat you out of house and home, apart from that it's an awesome lens.
Click on the above pic to see 11 more taken with this lens.
03-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
How's the flare resistance of the lens? I have a SMC F 70-210 and it's quite useless under bright front light. Other than that, it's taking sharp photos with nice saturated colour.
03-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A few more from today... with the 1.4 TC

With the F-70-210 and DA 1.4 TC on the camera I went looking for some purple fringing... and didn't find any... this lens definitely has purple fringing problems with the 1.7

The finches on this tree remind me of Christmas decorations...

There seems to be more and more noise every day.... and they are definitely sparring to establish territory, after living together all winter the nuthatches and woodpeckers are definitely getting into it.

03-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

With the F-70-210 and DA 1.4 TC on the camera I went looking for some purple fringing... and didn't find any... this lens definitely has purple fringing problems with the 1.7

There seems to be more and more noise every day.... and they are definitely sparring to establish territory, after living together all winter the nuthatches and woodpeckers are definitely getting into it.

I have noticed the same posturing for position at my feeders We have plenty nuthatches, downy woodies, red belly woodies, gold finch, and of course a few types of sparrows. Wish I would get the house finch like yours there more often, I love the red on the males and the heavy barring on the females. We get them occasionally but not often. The migratory birds are starting to come through also. Can't wait until end of April for the return of the hummers!
03-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
What's up with the saturated-to-the-point-of-posterizing blues? Conscious PP decision?

The Pentax-F version of the lens is excellent, so no surprises that it is a performer, but some unprocessed shots would be useful.
Yup...I just like the way it looked...

---------- Post added 03-22-14 at 06:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

nice shots!