Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member
peterjcb's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weddington, NC
Posts: 468
Takumar F 70-210 most under-rated?

...so I went on Ebay looking for some old full frame lenses and decided to take a chance on a $60 Takumar. I was blown away by the results from such an inexpensive lens. This lens is a gem regardless of the price but it doesn't hurt that it's so cheap...
and I find the range extremelly useful as a general carry round.
the bird shots were taken at 210mm

some exploratory shots...







03-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indiana PA USA
Posts: 1,346
Isn't this the lens famous for developing a sloppy zoom, i.e., slipping? I apologize for not checking, but that pops into mind.
Nice shots, btw.
03-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
I have the exact same lens (which I got for about the same price). One of the better values available in K-mount glass.
03-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member
scratchpaddy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,360
I've got one of those things, too. You're right, it's surprisingly good for a budget tele-zoom. It's compact, but surprisingly heavy. It feels solid. The only reason I don't use it is because I rarely shoot longer than 50mm.

This was at 135mm, not stopped down at all (f/4.5).



For anyone who needs telephoto on a budget, it's a good, compact alternative to the Sigma or Tamron 70-300's. It's much smaller than those lenses, which makes it useful as an "emergency telephoto" for someone who usually doesn't shoot long, but wants to keep their options open.

03-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Marketplace Reseller
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,115
What's up with the saturated-to-the-point-of-posterizing blues? Conscious PP decision?

The Pentax-F version of the lens is excellent, so no surprises that it is a performer, but some unprocessed shots would be useful.

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
...so I went on Ebay looking for some old full frame lenses and decided to take a chance on a $60 Takumar. I was blown away by the results from such an inexpensive lens. This lens is a gem regardless of the price but it doesn't hurt that it's so cheap...
and I find the range extremelly useful as a general carry round.
the bird shots were taken at 210mm

some exploratory shots...




03-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,754


Don't ever put a TC on it, the purple fringing will eat you out of house and home, apart from that it's an awesome lens.
Click on the above pic to see 11 more taken with this lens.
03-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 63
How's the flare resistance of the lens? I have a SMC F 70-210 and it's quite useless under bright front light. Other than that, it's taking sharp photos with nice saturated colour.
03-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,754
A few more from today... with the 1.4 TC

With the F-70-210 and DA 1.4 TC on the camera I went looking for some purple fringing... and didn't find any... this lens definitely has purple fringing problems with the 1.7

The finches on this tree remind me of Christmas decorations...

There seems to be more and more noise every day.... and they are definitely sparring to establish territory, after living together all winter the nuthatches and woodpeckers are definitely getting into it.







03-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 273
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A few more from today... with the 1.4 TC

With the F-70-210 and DA 1.4 TC on the camera I went looking for some purple fringing... and didn't find any... this lens definitely has purple fringing problems with the 1.7

The finches on this tree remind me of Christmas decorations...

There seems to be more and more noise every day.... and they are definitely sparring to establish territory, after living together all winter the nuthatches and woodpeckers are definitely getting into it.





I have noticed the same posturing for position at my feeders We have plenty nuthatches, downy woodies, red belly woodies, gold finch, and of course a few types of sparrows. Wish I would get the house finch like yours there more often, I love the red on the males and the heavy barring on the females. We get them occasionally but not often. The migratory birds are starting to come through also. Can't wait until end of April for the return of the hummers!
03-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member
peterjcb's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weddington, NC
Posts: 468
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
What's up with the saturated-to-the-point-of-posterizing blues? Conscious PP decision?

The Pentax-F version of the lens is excellent, so no surprises that it is a performer, but some unprocessed shots would be useful.
Yup...I just like the way it looked...

---------- Post added 03-22-14 at 06:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A few more from today... with the 1.4 TC

With the F-70-210 and DA 1.4 TC on the camera I went looking for some purple fringing... and didn't find any... this lens definitely has purple fringing problems with the 1.7

The finches on this tree remind me of Christmas decorations...

There seems to be more and more noise every day.... and they are definitely sparring to establish territory, after living together all winter the nuthatches and woodpeckers are definitely getting into it.
nice shots!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, pentax lens, shots, slr lens, takumar, tc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K50 Most Under Rated Camera 013 john5100 Pentax K-30 & K-50 22 01-17-2014 06:38 AM
F 70-210 or F 70-200 killym Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 10-21-2013 02:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top