Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #1

Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro - Food

Glossing over how I misplaced this lens for a couple of months prior to getting the K3, I happily stumbled across it again last night.

It hadn't seen much use since the summer when I purchased a Sigma 70-200 F2.8. Despite the Tamron's longer reach the IQ as a telephoto just isn't there, and without some serious stopping down the CA can get ugly. Apples to oranges, I know.

That said, I was approached by the director of the culinary program at our local school the other day, asking about some shots for a proposal they are putting together.

Coincidentally I had been randomly shooting food in the last week for S&Gs, primarily with my 50mm F1.4 Sigma for the DOF. When I found the Tamron last night I was reminded that it had a macro setting so I decided to give it a whirl on the K3 just now, not expecting much.

You know, for a $60 eBay find (mine's a Quantaray rebadge) from 3 years ago, it doesn't do a half bad job as a bargain macro. Here's some very hastily put together test shots, paired with a 1:1 crop for detail, of a clementine. Minimal PP:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting observations and impressive results for a much maligned lens. Fully agree with your comments. IMHO it is a fairly sharp and contrasty lens, but does not hold up well in bright sunlight due to purple fringe, and is soft at the long end on distant subjects. So it fails a bit for what most people are looking for in a long-tele. But as you have proved, it has other good points which boarder on impressive.
03-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only problems I ever really had with the Tammy was purple fringing in bright contrast settings. It always performed well otherwise. (OK, softish above 200mm)

I even had some macro success at 300 locked in, buuuuuut being very careful about contrast.

Nice work.
03-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Yes, I totally agree about the purple fringing in bright contrast areas. I look back at some of my earlier years soccer photos of my son's teams and I cringe

I wasn't distraught when I "lost" this lens for a while, but now I see a new purpose for it and am really happy it turned up again.

Last edited by gryhnd; 03-20-2014 at 03:03 PM.