03-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizers.

03-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
sTi
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's a load of bull...

In most photographic situations, light is non-polarized, which means that every polarizer on the planet, by means of the physical properties of light, will cut half the light passing through. There is no magic involved.

Coatings are there to improve the transmission of the ~4% of light reflected on any surface. No coating is perfect, and 4% is not "a full stop". And Hoya are far from having the only effective coating process out there.
Hmm, but he claims it's not the coating but the new polarizing material itself that makes the difference. Don't know how Ken measures it, but one stop difference would be easily verifiable if it is true.
03-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
I have several Marumi polarizing filters including the 77mm, 67mm, 58mm, 55mm and 49mm, as well as some Marumi UV filters. I brought out my 49mm the other day for use with my 35mm limited and noticed there was a lot of play between the filter and the mount. I've only used it once before, and bought it new within the last year. The others are great, very smooth rotation and no play. I'm surprised as Marumi is usually quality stuff.

These filters are either the top of their line or one below. I don't remember what the 49mm is specifically, but it's at least next to the top.

Bill
03-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought most CPL's only reduced light by about 1 stop (1.5 stop max). I think it would be really difficult to make a CPL that was 1 stop less light than that.

I don't know why but I buy B+W CPL's and Hoya ND filters. I avoid slim designs since they usually don't have threads in the front and some end up wider (interfering with hoods).

03-28-2014, 04:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
Hmm, but he claims it's not the coating but the new polarizing material itself that makes the difference. Don't know how Ken measures it, but one stop difference would be easily verifiable if it is true.
He mentions "magical coatings"

Whatever the material, its still absurd. It's not about the material, it's about the physics. Check out "polarization" on wikipedia, or read this simplified explanation I wrote a few years back:

What is polarization? - Digicamhelp