Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Best circular polarizer?

So, I finally got my DA* 16-50 today. Since this lens has the largest filter size of all my lenses, I need a new polarizer since my old one is too small. Who makes the best? I assume it's either B+W or Hoya? It must be a thin version. Price is not much of a consideration, the size alone is going to dictate this will not be a cheap filter. The Hoya HD 77mm is 95 at a couple local webshops. Is it any good?

03-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B+W and Marumi both get top marks in reviews. Hoya's top line does as well but they have several 'grades' and I'm not familiar with what the different lines are called.

I have mostly all B+W for whatever that is worth.

Here is a good review though a bit dated now: Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
03-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I would also suggest you buy from a reputable store or from a store with a physical location. If you find a great deal online, it might be a fake. It happened with filters before.
03-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I would also suggest you buy from a reputable store or from a store with a physical location. If you find a great deal online, it might be a fake. It happened with filters before.
I'm well aware of that. Both the places I usually buy from are local stores that also sell online. They are authorized camera dealers, so I trust their stock. In the US, I usually order from B+H.

03-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

i'll plug my favorite filter store.... buyphotogear.com

I have purchase probably 20-30 filters from him in the last 10 years.

in terms of hoya, I use the EVO line, it's second tier below their HD filters, but about 70% of the cost. since I need mostly 77-82mm filters, CPL get REALLLLY expensive.

also, i've recently purchased a cokin CPL, for my X-PRO filter holder that i'm integrating, since i've starting to use some many ND gradient filters lately
03-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

+1 for Marumi.
03-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

B+W has their XS (extra-slim) line. For a few bucks extra, you can get the Kaesemann XS-Pro version. I like the Kaesemann version over the similarly-priced Heliopan for its more-neutral coloration.
03-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for Marumi. Get the Super DHG ones. They are thinner and don't vignette.

03-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
B+W has their XS (extra-slim) line. For a few bucks extra, you can get the Kaesemann XS-Pro version. I like the Kaesemann version over the similarly-priced Heliopan for its more-neutral coloration.
+1 The best
03-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, so Marumi or B+W. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will most likely get B+W, assuming there isn't a huge price difference, since I have used B+W in the past and always had good results.

---------- Post added 03-23-14 at 09:25 AM ----------

I was just reading the XS Pro description on B+H, and it says the outer diameter is slightly larger than the filter size and may prevent the use of hoods. Does anyone have experience with these filters on the DA* 16-50? Since this lens is prone to flare easily, loss of the hood is a deal breaker.

Alternatively, I could get the standard non-XS version, and deal with vignetting in PP, which seems likely below 18mm.
03-23-2014, 01:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Ask B&H if you can return it if it doesn't fit with the hood. Call them on the phone - you can get better prices that way for some items.
03-23-2014, 02:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would not work for me, I live in Europe. When I order from B+H, I have the items delivered to my parent's address in the US so there can be months between placing the order and actually getting the goods. I need to know compatibility before ordering.
03-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
sTi
Forum Member

Hoya HD Polarizers
He claims that the Hoya HD polarizing filters lose one stop less light than other polarizers, which sounds great if it is true...
03-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
sTi
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote

I was just reading the XS Pro description on B+H, and it says the outer diameter is slightly larger than the filter size and may prevent the use of hoods. Does anyone have experience with these filters on the DA* 16-50? Since this lens is prone to flare easily, loss of the hood is a deal breaker.

Alternatively, I could get the standard non-XS version, and deal with vignetting in PP, which seems likely below 18mm.
Don't know about the 16-50, but I once bought a XS Pro UV filter for my DA 17-70, and it was NOT possible to mount the hood, so I returned it. Really stupid design if you ask me. The slim Heliopan or Hoya HD I have do not suffer from this problem.
03-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
He claims that the Hoya HD polarizing filters lose one stop less light than other polarizers, which sounds great if it is true...
That's a load of bull...

In most photographic situations, light is non-polarized, which means that every polarizer on the planet, by means of the physical properties of light, will cut half the light passing through. There is no magic involved.

Coatings are there to improve the transmission of the ~4% of light reflected on any surface. No coating is perfect, and 4% is not "a full stop". And Hoya are far from having the only effective coating process out there.