Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hood + Filter

I have just acquired a screw-in metal hood (49mm diameter) for my Pentax legacy glass. The hood has 58mm filter threads on the outside edge so that filters can be attached to the outside of the hood. This gives me options:

1) Purchase a 58mm --> 72mm step up ring and attach my big filters to the outside of the hood
2) Purchase a 49mm --> 72mm step up ring and acquire a 72mm screw in hood to attach to the filters
3) Purchase a 49mm --> 72mm step up ring, 72mm --> 49mm step down ring and sandwich the filter between the hood and lens: lens | ring | filter | ring | hood

Option #3 comes with the risk of vignetting, but the lenses I will be doing with this are 50mm and above, so it might be ok still. (I can check this, I suppose). #3 is not my preferred option, so I'm weighing between 1 and 2. My question is: does #1 negate the benefits of a hood? If I attach the filter to the hood, will being so far away from the lens make it less effective?

The filters I would use are a variable ND and a polarizer.

03-21-2014, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

You don't want to be attaching filters to the end of your hood. Light striking the filter will cause flare. Put the filter on the lens, and then screw the hood into the filter.
03-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those threads on the wide end of the hood would hold a lens cap nice and snug.
03-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks! I think I will do option #2. Then I can still rotate the filters with the hood attached, too, which is nice!