Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'm anguishing

Hi.
I'm supposed to go pick up a used DA 14mm Pentax lens today for the K-30.
The reviews drive me crazy. The technical reviews don't have much to say positive. User reviews are more positive, but, they seem to struggle to give it even a 8.
The Bower 14mm equivalent new, costs considerably less, and the Sigma 10-20mm new, costs about 50 dollars more than what I'll be paying for the Pentax 14mm.
I'm stuck in decision hell, and I don't like it.
Quick thoughts this morning?

03-22-2014, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

Sigma 10-20mm. More options in the field.
03-22-2014, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hydnum Quote
Hi.
I'm supposed to go pick up a used DA 14mm Pentax lens today for the K-30.
The reviews drive me crazy. The technical reviews don't have much to say positive. User reviews are more positive, but, they seem to struggle to give it even a 8.
The Bower 14mm equivalent new, costs considerably less, and the Sigma 10-20mm new, costs about 50 dollars more than what I'll be paying for the Pentax 14mm.
I'm stuck in decision hell, and I don't like it.
Quick thoughts this morning?
I have the Rokinon 14mm (same as Bower/Samyang/Vivitar), and it is a splendid lens: sharp even wide open (corner to corner!), very sharp at f3.5, and unbelievably sharp for a UWA from f4 on. Great colors and micro-contrast, but heavy (500 grams) and with significant distortion (easily correctable in PP, though). The Sigma 10-20mm is also a very good lens. (I'm going to buy a Contemporary version if Sigma releases one in the future.)

A recent set of mine, taken with the Rokinon 14mm:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/252432-cityscape-east...-new-york.html
Reviews, here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/samyang-14mm-f2-8-ed-if-umc.html

The DA 15mm is another solid option, with many, many fans:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-15mm-F4-Limited-Lens.html

Last edited by causey; 03-22-2014 at 05:30 AM.
03-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I suppose I should have posted this earlier in the week.
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm leaning heavily towards the Sigma 10-20. The Rokinon images are splendid, causey.
I'm going to go meet the guy, check out the Pentax 14mm, and purchase it, if it's sound.
If for some reason he doesn't show up, then I'll go shopping.

03-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi. I'm supposed to go pick up a used DA 14mm Pentax lens today for the K-30. The reviews drive me crazy. The technical reviews don't have much to say positive. User reviews are more positive, but, they seem to struggle to give it even a 8.
Yes, you should buy a hammer and smash that terrible, terrible DA 14mm. Everyone knows that an 8 can't take good photos!

But seriously.. I'm sure you will enjoy the lens. Just stop whining about "oh noes someone else says this lens isn't good" and figure it out for yourself. I've seen plenty amazing photos taken with that lens posted on this forum. Just search for it here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/samplesearch.php
Wow! Are those not good enough for you? Do you think those same shots would look better taken with the Sigma or Samyang?

I have the Samyang 14mm, because it was cheaper, but I would prefer the Pentax DA. why? With the Samyang its always a gamble. I returned the first lens, the second one is a little better, but still slightly decentered. Lots of people go through multiple copies until they find one that is decent. The Distance scales (not DoF scales, only distances) is miscalibrated, too. It is unreliable. It doesn't take filters and the hood is fixed. With the Pentax, these shouldn't be worries for you. UWA lenses always have some CA and a steep learning curve. They are never as optically flawless as a 35mm or 50mm lens. You just need to learn how to take photos with it in such a way, that these flaws don't ruin the shot. And then you can do digital corrections for the rest. Keep in mind also that most non-photographers will never even notice CA, or the lens being "8 our of 10" sharp. Its not really an issue.

I say just enjoy the lens. I would gladly trade my Samyang 14mm for the AF, build, QC, DoF scales..
03-22-2014, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I'm stuck in decision hell, and I don't like it. Quick thoughts this morning?
Ahh, choices, choices! I have a DA 15mm Ltd, but also considered the DA 14. I would say that with 39 users giving an average rating of 8.6 (in the PF reviews), combined with the numerous examples of terrific images, the DA 14 is a pretty good lens. I think that I'd be happy with it.

- Craig
03-22-2014, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote

I have the Samyang 14mm, because it was cheaper, but I would prefer the Pentax DA. why? With the Samyang its always a gamble. I returned the first lens, the second one is a little better, but still slightly decentered. Lots of people go through multiple copies until they find one that is decent. The Distance scales (not DoF scales, only distances) is miscalibrated, too. It is unreliable.
Strange! I must have been very lucky, then. My copy is perfect, and it's the only copy I've tried.
03-22-2014, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I've gotten defective Tamron, Sigma, and Pentax lenses (Pentax has a much higher failure rate with me, but it's not statistically significant), so QC is a universal problem.

Is this thread referring to the old-style 10-20mm Sigma, or the newer one? I have the older, slower one, and if you get a good copy, it's a good lens. Not outstanding, but a completely different experience (slower, but vastly wider) than a 14mm would be.

03-22-2014, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

I love my DA 15 Ltd. I'd recommend it if it's in your budget. Any UWA will have a learning curve because of their perspective. Just my two cents.
03-22-2014, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

I suspect the da14 suffers from proximity to the da15, like the 50'200 does vs the 55'300. Hope you find the answer soon!
03-22-2014, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ignore user reviews. "Average" is 5, not 8, anyway. There is no standard way to assign numbers and one issue for some is nothing for another.

Check the images. Check the price. Decide.

I pondered the 14, but as I have a 15 and a 12-24, I decided to buy another toy.
03-22-2014, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

I bought the DA14 yesterday new. 1st shots look fine, it's a keeper.

Seb
03-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey!
Long day.
I picked up what I deem to be a beautiful da14.
Thank you all for your responses.
I probably do think too much when making a choice regarding glass.
I should just decide what I want to do and buy the tool that'll do the job.
Anyway, this da14 seems like a fantastic purchase, and I'm going to check out my test shots now.
Had to stop at Henry's and snag a 77mm filter, and I grabbed a class 10 SD card while I was there.
So, yeah, thanks again!
03-23-2014, 03:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter

A test shot of my DA14.

Seb

stockholm.jpg
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Happy you found a good one. Looking forward to seeing the images.