Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Thanks for the quizz. I should have guessed. I got a very similar rendering with the shots posted on this thread.

Cheers!

Abbazz

04-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Tamron vs Sigma

As a matter of interest, since I have an opportunity to buy one of these dirt cheap - has anyone tried a similar experiment with the Sigma 70-300, both the APO version and the non-APO?

One of my colleagues has a non-APO version of the Sigma 70-300 that I can buy for $100. But if the Tamron is significantly better, then I'll go that way. However, if the Sigma can "cut it" with the Tamron, not just as a "macro" but also at the long end, then for $100 it would be worthwhile having in the backup bag.

Anyone any comments?

Thanks in advance
04-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great pics! You have to be super conscious of the lighting\contrast (to avoid CA) when you shoot with the Tamron 70-300, but as these pics show, the results can be amazing.
04-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This was taken with my Sigma 70-300 APO

It is my very first macro.... I am not a bit flower guy... my engineering background make me see beauty in more mechanical things.

D.

04-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shots in the openning post are just wow.

I saw this thread earlier today and I would not have guessed that it was this lens, and I have own it! Of course, I haven't tried the macro function much as of yet. What kills me is that I bought this lens used for around $20! Talk about a good deal!

Abbazz great shots in that other thread!
04-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
As a matter of interest, since I have an opportunity to buy one of these dirt cheap - has anyone tried a similar experiment with the Sigma 70-300, both the APO version and the non-APO?

One of my colleagues has a non-APO version of the Sigma 70-300 that I can buy for $100. But if the Tamron is significantly better, then I'll go that way. However, if the Sigma can "cut it" with the Tamron, not just as a "macro" but also at the long end, then for $100 it would be worthwhile having in the backup bag.

Anyone any comments?

Thanks in advance
It seems like almost no one goes for the non-APO version.

The general consensus is:
Tamron - Sharp but prone to purple fringing, very little sample variance
Sigma APO - Tends to be softer with lots of sample variance, but almost no PF.
Sigma non-APO - A non-APO lens would remove the Sigma's main advantage over the Tamron (CA/PF), so no one buys it as the Tamron is nearly the same price as the non-APO.
04-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #22
Igilligan

Hooti Hoo... I win

It will be noted in my acceptance speech at the awards banquet, that I guessed it before the last set of clues...

And to be honest... and I know some will say I am full of s_it, I guessed it because of the colors. It looked exactly like the colors I get from mine. That fancy hi-res sensor can turn the tammy into a good macro lens, but it still has Tamron 70-300 colors...

what is my prize? Your K100d super? Or maybe some other K20d owners old K10d?

Last edited by Igilligan; 04-19-2008 at 10:53 PM.
04-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Entropy - many thanks for that summary and comparison. Very much appreciated

I think I'll give the non-APO Sigma a miss, and go for the Tamron. Unless, of course, the Pentax DA* 55-300 suddenly puts in an appearance......