Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #1

F series build quality

According to lens review database it seems to be a common believe that f-series lenses are mainly build of plastic.

Typical comments in the lens review:

"plastic construction", "plastic body parts", " a plastic outer barrel" etc.

I did have the same belief until I ordered a F28 supposed to be perfecly fine from ebay. It turned out that it did not focus to
infinity. Actully far from it. I tried to adjust it by loosing 3 screws behind front name ring but it was already adjusted to
limit. So it turned out lens was assembled wrongly and I had to disassemble it to get it right.

What I learnt during the process there is no plastic inside the lens. Everything inside is very nicely build from solid metal.
Actually the outer barrel is made of metal too but it is covered by aperture ring, forus ring and a strange plastic band which
are all made of plastic.

Here is the outer barrel. See the slightly machined place before screw hole.

And two inner barrels:

03-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know where people get that from, I have 2 F series prime, they're as heavy as a rock, no chance it's full of plastic, full of plastic is my kit lens.
03-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for posting these great photos. Though I accept the F lenses for the ugly ducklings that they are, it is nice to see that their "beauty" is only skin-deep.