Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Very nice! I'm glad you have steady hands.... I presume you had SR switched on too...
SR helped a lot, without it I'd need at least a monopod (something I might buy anyway for some situations).

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale:
That really is quite an impressive lens for such a reasonable price, isn't it?
It does have excellent qualities for the price, reach and marco on the same lens, can't go too wrong.

Obviously, the component behind the viewfinder has a lot to do with the quality of the pictures , but for an inexpensive lens, the results are very good.
I fluke out a lot and still have much to learn but, thank you.

The reviews that claim the Sigma to be soft at 300mm seem to be a bit off when you see results like that picture you just posted. Most likely explanation is that with the cheaper lenses, the quality control is not so tight, and variation from one copy to another is more marked.
You can only take so much from a review, they give you numbers, charts and graphs. I prefer the old fashion way, looking at real world photo examples.

BTW, 10 year warranty on the Sigma 70-300 APO here in Canada, is it the same in Australia?.

-

04-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Derridale,

Another test for my benefit as well as yours and others.

1000x800 crop from original RAW on tripod. The subject was 1.35KM away (Google Earth). Had to shoot between branches from my location.

f/5.6

f/8

f/11

04-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's an awesome lens, especially for the money. You won't be dissapointed.

04-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't want to hype things up too much. I bought the Sigma APO just a few days ago and the only thing that is bothering me is the AF. I hunts like mad sometimes and the MF is not that great, rough and not an accurate 'feeling'. I have my eye on a Pentax A 200mm f/4. If its in very good condition the Sigma may go back. I just prefer the feel of manual.

Last edited by metalfab; 04-21-2008 at 05:31 PM.
04-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
I don't want to hype things up too much. I bought the Sigma APO just a few days ago and the only thing that is bothering me is the AF. I hunts like mad sometimes and the MF is not that great, rough feeling and not a accurate. I have my eye on a Pentax A 200mm f/4. If its in very good condition the Sigma may go back. I just prefer the feel of manual.
What issues do you have in manual focus? How is it "not accurate"? From my experience, when manual focus is not accurate, it has nothing to do with the lens and everything to do with the photographer...
04-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
What issues do you have in manual focus? How is it "not accurate"? From my experience, when manual focus is not accurate, it has nothing to do with the lens and everything to do with the photographer...
Indeed, however, the MF ring on the Sigma just doesn't feel right. Maybe I spoiled by the smooth and solid feel of the M and A lenses.
I'm off to see that A 200mm in a while so depending on condition...
04-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
Indeed, however, the MF ring on the Sigma just doesn't feel right. Maybe I spoiled by the smooth and solid feel of the M and A lenses.
Well yeah, that's true. However, all AF lenses feel similar (at least the ones I've used). Because there's a little engine turning the lens barrel, there needs to be as little friction as possible in the focus mechanism.

04-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #23

ok now anyone have the Tamaron 70-300 DI lens compared to the Sigma?
04-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

MF - many thanks for taking the trouble to do that. That is most helpful

Your point re the APO vs the non-APO is a good one, with the two extra elements. I might pass on the cheap lens, and go for the APO version - it's not really that expensive, even in Aussie dollars.

I always remember a saying from my Dad, talking about tools - "the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". I think I'll bear that in mind...!

Thanks again.

Whats the APO worth Derridale?

cheers
04-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

$Aus 349 from camerawarehouse.com.au

The Tammy 70-300 is $Aus 279

So - 70 bucks difference.
04-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The reviews that claim the Sigma to be soft at 300mm seem to be a bit off when you see results like that picture you just posted. Most likely explanation is that with the cheaper lenses, the quality control is not so tight, and variation from one copy to another is more marked.
To "risc" or not to "risc"
(Buying...):ugh:
04-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I gave my Sigma 70-300 non APO its first good workout this past weekend shooting crew races on the St. Lawrence river. At 300 its very soft and I also had problems with the auto focus hunting which isn't a good thing shooting sports. A polarizer made the AF even worse and I had to take it off. However, I got some really good shots at shorter lengths. I'm not going to judge the lens yet after one weekend as I did get some good stuff, so some of it could be my fault and as mentioned it is a very inexpensive lens. From 70-240 almost every shot came out ok, but at longer lengths I got very few keepers, and none of shots of moving boats were keepers at 300. I'm on the wrong computer so I can't post any shots today. My daughter is racing again next weekend too so I will be using the lens again.
04-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I have the old cousin, a Manual focus 75 - 300 APO. And although I rarely use it I've gotten some great images from it.

The reasons why I rarely use it is I got a Sigma 135 - 400, whch was a better lens for what I was doing at the time.

Then I got hooked on Primes (fixed focal length) lenses, and really haven't looked back.

I have however tried a Non APO lens on a Canon Film camera, and must say that it appears to be a fine lens for the money.

However from what I could tell. If your planning on cropping the images you'll probably want to spend the extra coin.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
My daughter is racing again next weekend too so I will be using the lens again.
I hope that you can post some of these photographs reeftool
04-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I agree, I'm keeping my Sigma 70-300 too.

I just pitted the Sigma 70-300 APO against a Pentax A 200mm f/4 and the Sigma won hands down. The Pentax had purple and some green fringe. IQ was no different imho.

Here are 3 examples from 100% crops and btw, the Sigma was at f/5.6 at 300mm wide open.

Pentax A 200mm:

Sigma 70-300mm APO:

Pentax A 200mm:

Sigma 70-300mm APO:

Pentax A 200mm:

Sigma 70-300mm APO:

04-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I gave my Sigma 70-300 non APO its first good workout this past weekend shooting crew races on the St. Lawrence river. At 300 its very soft and I also had problems with the auto focus hunting which isn't a good thing shooting sports. A polarizer made the AF even worse and I had to take it off. However, I got some really good shots at shorter lengths. I'm not going to judge the lens yet after one weekend as I did get some good stuff, so some of it could be my fault and as mentioned it is a very inexpensive lens. From 70-240 almost every shot came out ok, but at longer lengths I got very few keepers, and none of shots of moving boats were keepers at 300.
Were you shooting wide open? This won't affect AF, but it does affect IQ. Unless it makes or breaks a shot, I always shoot at f/8 at the long end; this a $200 zoom, after all. Take some comparison shots at 300mm: f/5.6 @ ISO100, and then the same shot at f/8 @ ISO200. I did this and the latter beat the former for IQ hands down; much sharper.